Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TKHanson Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 06:54 PM
More proof of my ignorance coming through...

When a receiver says -10dB. what exactly is that ratio? I understand that a jet plane taking off produces 140+ dB within a reasonable distance. How such a common number equated to the performance of a receiver. Second question would be regarding speaker performance. The stats on the M80s says,"Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz)34-22K". I understand the frequency reference; however, I don't get why we have a plus/minus of 3 for that value. What is its significance?

If anyone would like to point me to some good reading, rather than explain in their own words, please don’t hesitate.

Thanks!

Posted By: Ned Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 07:45 PM
Good question...seems the last few years someone changed things a bit and now the volume is +/- for the volume controls on the recievers......
Whatever happened to 0-10
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 07:48 PM
decibels
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 08:44 PM
In reply to:

Whatever happened to 0-10

not to brag, but mine actually has 0-11
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 08:45 PM
"3 dB attenuation means that 0.50 of the input power survives"

In other words, when you see a freq. range with a 3dB +/-, it means it can get to low frequencies before losing half of the total volume, correct? In other words, a speaker rated to go from 57 Hz - 220 MHz +/- 3dB will surely hit 57, but it will be at half output. Indeed, it will probably hit below 57, but even more quietly.

Is this right?
Posted By: kaid Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 09:47 PM
"In other words, when you see a freq. range with a 3dB +/-, it means it can get to low frequencies before losing half of the total volume, correct? In other words, a speaker rated to go from 57 Hz - 220 MHz +/- 3dB will surely hit 57, but it will be at half output. Indeed, it will probably hit below 57, but even more quietly."

You're mixing apples and oranges here. A 3db decrease requires half as much power. Power does not equal loudness, they are two seperate things. As the link above shows, db is a logarithmic function. For example, if it takes 10 watts to create a 100 db noice, then a 103 db noise will require 20 watts, 106 db requires 40 watts, 109 db requires 80 watts, etc.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:00 PM
OK, but that leaves me as confused as ever about the original quesiton of the thread - what does the +/-3dB part of the "XX Hz - XX MHz +/- 3dB" spec tell you?
Posted By: kaid Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:07 PM
It tells you what frequency range the speaker will reproduce. If a speaker is +/- 3db from 50Hz to 20kHz, then that speaker has a fairly flat response from 50Hz to 20kHz. This means that the speaker can produce sound within 3db of the original material as long as the original material doesn't go below 50Hz or above 20kHz.

How loud the speaker is depends on it's efficiency and how much power you feed it.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:11 PM
OK, thanks. But is +/- 3dB really all that "flat"? Since dB is on a log scale, isn't 3dB a fairly notable difference, ultimately?
Posted By: kaid Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:27 PM
I just re-read your original post and I think you had basically the right idea, just misapplied a little bit. Yes, 3db is a noticable difference. Whether or not it is exactly "twice as loud" is rather sujective (I've seen some sources say 4db is twice as loud). The fact that +3db requires twice as much power is not subjective.

And I'm not an expert on this subject, so if anyone else wants to jump in and explain things better...feel free!
Posted By: alan Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:37 PM
Engine_Joe:

Yes, +/-3 dB is quite a notable and audible difference, because with a frequency range specified that way, there could be a 6-dB discrepancy, which could be quite audible depending on where in the audio spectrum the anomalies occur. For example, there might be a 3-dB lift at 900 Hz followed by a 3-dB dip at 1.5 kHz, so there would be 6 dB between the peak and the dip.

In measurements and listening tests correlated to the measurements, it's really crucial to try and keep the frequency response within a +/-1.5 dB window through the midrange from about 800 Hz to 4 or 5 kHz. Our hearing is particularly acute in that range, and we can easily detect larger aberrations (like 3 dB) in listening tests. After measuring and testing dozens of speakers, the models that adhered most closely to the +/-1.5 dB "window" through the mids were highly rated in the double-blind listening tests. This is simplified for the sake of clarity, but smooth, flat midrange response is crucial to speakers being judged natural and uncolored in listening tests.

Regards,
Posted By: alan Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:46 PM
kaid,

The subjective measurements of sound intensity are fairly well established. For example, "twice as loud" normally represents a 10-dB SPL increase, which would require 10 times as much power. "Somewhat louder" is a 3 dB increase, whereas 6 dB is "significantly louder." A change of 1 dB SPL is considered the smallest change in sound pressure that's consistently detectable. And of course, the term is derived from that brilliant guy, Alexander Graham Bell (the "bel" part of "decibel"). If you want to read more on the decibel, go to the Axiom archives and click on "The Nature of Power."

Regards,
Posted By: kaid Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 10:59 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Alan.
Posted By: TKHanson Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/20/05 11:32 PM
Just found both of your articles in the archive. Well written! I think your explanation found in both articles has helped me understand decibels and Watts, on a more practical level.

Thanks.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/21/05 12:03 AM
It's very special, because, as you can see--the numbers all go to 11. Right across the board. Eleven, 11. . . . And most amps go up to 10? Exactly. Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder? Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not 10. You see, most blokes are going to be playing at 10--you're on 10 on your guitar, where can you go from there? Where? I don't know. Nowhere! Exactly! What we do, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? You put it up to 11. Eleven. Exactly. One louder. Why don't you just make 10 louder, and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?........
"These go to 11,"
classic

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/21/05 02:57 PM
i think they are looking for another drummer for their reunion tour?

bigjohn
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Help understanding decibles - 01/21/05 04:47 PM
Beat me to it! Doh!
© Axiom Message Boards