Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seabear trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 04:12 PM
I'm trying to set up the 2900 I just got from the Crutchfield S&D dept, and it is doing some odd things, and I want to make sure I am not missing anything in the set-up or options dept.
It will not play regular CD's.
It recognizes SACD's, and plays them, but I get no signal to my reciever
It recognizes and plays DVD-A just fine, outputting a signal to my reciever
It recognizes DVD's just fine, and outputs a signal to my reviever.
Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong, or is there a problem with this unit?
TjB

Posted By: curtis Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 04:25 PM
How do you have the 2900 hooked up to your receiver?
Posted By: Seabear Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 04:52 PM
Ah, I got it.
I did not have the input selector on the 2500 sent to multi channel, so the DVD-A was routing coming through the coax cable, and the audio portion of the DVD was doing the same?
Then, I figured out that the "SACD" selector switch on the front panel of the Denon toggles between SACD & (redbook)CD.
I thought that switch was just for controlling the SACD format output.
So now it is playing all formats.
Additional question.
If I have the 2900 hooked up to the 2500 with the 6 ch. inputs, and the composite video, is there a reason for me to use the digital coax cable if I am always going to use the DACs in the Denon when playing music?
Thanks Curtis for coming to the rescue!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 05:06 PM
TjB

I don't have the 6 analog cable setup for DVD-A/SACD and only use an optical connection. I also haven't been through the manual to look for the answer to your questioon.

Logic tells me that that you could connect both 6-way and optical or coax and switch the optical/coax when watching TV/movies.

There are likely settings in the setup menu that lets you set all of the audio up and the remote likely lets you choose the audio. I wish I had time to chase this for you, but we are leaving for the day.

Posted By: bridgman Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 05:12 PM
Just a caution... I don't think your player will put DVD-A out on the coax cable -- you're probably hearing the "compatibility track" (Dolby Digital) that most DVD-A's have in addition to the "real" DVD audio.

The "real" DVD-A signal will only come out on 6 channel analog (or DenonLink, I guess, but I don't know anything about that).

I don't know if the player will put regular DVD 5.1 (not DVD-A) out over the 6 channel -- my guess is that if you still want to play regular DVDs you will still need the coax cable.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 05:26 PM
I may have concused this subject.
DVD-A music CD and SACD - uses the 6 analog cable set up. Don't know about regular CDs.

DVD movies and regular CDs - uses either coax or optical.

Based on what I said before, I believe you need audio connections for the optical/coax. The only reason you need/use the 6 analog cables is for DVD-A / SACD.

I'm oversimplifying this and probably not mentioning appropriate detail, but you get the jist.

TjB - take a look at the manual. The answer is in there somewhere.
Posted By: curtis Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 06:10 PM
The regular CDs can be played via a digital connection and using the DACs on the receiver.

For using the DACs on the 2900 and analog connection, there is a seperate set of L/R outputs(seperate from the 6 channels used for multichannel).
Posted By: littleb Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/20/05 10:01 PM
I hadn't tried a cd yet, so after reading this I thought that I had better. My 2900 is only hooked up six channnel, set to multi-channel. The cd that I tested worked fine. There doesn't seem to be a need for any other connections.
Posted By: Seabear Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/21/05 12:18 AM
TjB - take a look at the manual. The answer is in there somewhere."
Yeah, that's what I would have thought, but I swear I have been through it front to back, and did not find the answer.
As with so many of the manuals out there, it is a bit vague.
I did end up figuring out the answer to my original question, as far as the DVD-A / SACD / RBCD playback - but now I am up against another issue...
See my next post.
Thanks to all for all of the great help!!!

Posted By: Seabear Re: trouble w/ bargain 2900??? - 02/21/05 12:40 AM
"For using the DACs on the 2900 and analog connection, there is a seperate set of L/R outputs(seperate from the 6 channels used for multichannel)."
You know, I noticed that, and wondered what they were for.
When I hooked up the 6 ch. I used the sub/cntr/surrroundX2 and the Front1 and Front2 jacks (leaving the jacks directly to the left of those jacks empty.
And it played 2 ch stereo from a RBCD just fine.
I have been at it all day long, and really just want to sit down and watch a movie on my new system, but there are just so many questions that I am still trying to figure out (see my next post on this forum...) and since it is a MAJOR pain in the Arse to move the shelf system in and out, I am doing the bleary-eyed search for the answers before I push the whole shebang back against the wall.
Some parts of this HT thing have gotten easier since I first got into it 6 or 7 years ago, and some parts have gotten Quite a bit harder!
Thanks for the help!
These Axioms were worth the price of admission just for the help that I am getting here!
I'm sure you will be hearing plenty more from me!

© Axiom Message Boards