Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Sandman DLP Owners - 03/16/05 10:23 PM
Anyone got a DLP tv?

I just purchased the Mits WD-52525 and was curious to know roughly what I should adjust the contrast and brightness levels to?

My calibration disc is no where to be found, so untill I can replace it, I was wondering if someone could tell me the ball park range of where I should be.

I'm thinking I got my settings too low but I'm really not sure. Right now I've got the contrast set at 28, the brightness at 30. Is this too low or am I roughly where I should be?

I appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Sandman
Posted By: snakeyes Re: DLP Owners - 03/16/05 10:42 PM
avsforum.com prob if you look there
Posted By: Sandman Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 12:38 AM
Wow, 33 views and the only reply is a referral to avs. Ah well, it was worth a try.

Thanks Snakeyes, I know you were just trying to help. I appreciate it man. Thanks again.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 12:45 AM
The numbers themselves are pretty much irrelevant, as even the same model TV will have picture variations at the same settings. I know your calibration disc is missing, but you should really be setting the brightness and contrast values using the assistance of a test disc, since it will provide you with patterns and gradients with which to better judge the picture quality.
Posted By: Sandman Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 01:03 AM
Thanks Pmbuko, question though! Do you mean like S&V Home Theater Tune Up, DVE, Avia ect... If not, what would recommend?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 01:09 AM
Any of those three should work fine, but I think DVE and Avia are favored around here.
Posted By: Sandman Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 01:20 AM
Cool man, thanks a lot. Much appreciated. I had DVE, but I can't for the life of me find the bloody thing. I'll get a new disc ordered, which I don't know yet, but I'll figure it out.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 01:58 AM
If you have Netflix, you can supposedly rent DVE from them.
Posted By: alou Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 03:09 PM
I own an LG DLP, and out of the box it was set very bright. I turned down the contrast and brightness about 25% right away.

The only other calibration I've done is using the "THX setup" on various DVD's. I too am waiting for a "real man's" setup disc one day...
Posted By: shag Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 03:17 PM
Any of the Star Wars dvds have a THX audio and video calibration tests. I've used the video test for my tv. Anyone have any opinions on these? Are the other calibrations discs much better?
Posted By: alan Re: DLP Owners - 03/17/05 04:55 PM
Hi shag,

The video calibration tests offered on many THX DVD sets is a good, basic place to start. The dedicated Avia or Digital Video Essentials have much more elaborate test patterns. Avia is easier to use.

Most HD sets, whether DLP, LCD, or even CRT rear-projection are set way too bright and contrasty out of the box, however, most sets now have a "Cinema" type setting that in a dimly lit room will be far superior to the showroom settings, sometimes called "Dynamic".

Regards,
© Axiom Message Boards