Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 02:41 PM
hi everyone,

I have my receiver and DVD player hooked into a UPS. I originally bought it because where I was living before, there was a small problem with the electricity and it would cut in and out for a second every so often - I got annoyed and bought a UPS.

The only problem is that it hums fairly loudly. Is it just the battery that does that, or is there a way to cut or reduce this?

thanks,

Ravi
Posted By: Ken.C Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 03:20 PM
I think that's just the way that it is. Most UPSes are drowned out by the noise of the fans on the computers they're hooked up to, but I have heard that hum. There's also that refrigerator noise when you turn them on.
Posted By: donjuanmiguel Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 04:28 PM
Yep. There's really nothing you can do about that hum. I ran a data processing dept for a while where we had about 4 ups's going at the same time. Since it's consistant, you get used to it pretty quickly.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 05:22 PM
I think it's because they don't know the words........
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 08:02 PM
The subject title had me thinking that maybe it was the UPS driver humming a tune, delivering new Axioms!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 08:17 PM
i still have no idea exactly what a UPS is?

bigjohn
Posted By: bridgman Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 08:19 PM
Ahh. Uninterruptible Power Supply -- most commonly used with computers. It plugs into the wall, you plug your equipment into the UPS, then when the power cuts out in your house the equipment plugged into the UPS keeps running for a while (until the battery in the UPS runs down).

Mostly to get you through those short outages which crash your computer and make your VCR say 12:00
Posted By: alou Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/24/05 10:07 PM
You mean its not the guy in the brown truck? Makes sense now...I was "just let the guy hum, he's just doing his job". (Just kidding)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/25/05 12:58 AM
Don't forget about the annoying beeping the UPS will produce, while the power is out.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/25/05 01:09 AM
In reply to:

annoying beeping the UPS will produce, while the power is out

or when he is to lazy to bring your stuff to the door.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/25/05 01:36 AM
LOL

It took me a second to get that one.
Posted By: Seabear Re: stop my UPS from humming - 03/25/05 12:24 PM
"annoying beeping the UPS will produce"
I LIKE that beeping!
It means he has so much stuff that he has to back up to the door to unload it!
© Axiom Message Boards