Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Engine_Joe Computer speakers... - 05/13/05 05:51 PM
Anyone use Axioms (or any other speakers that use binding posts or clips as opposed to 1/8" jacks) with their computer?

I'm pretty uninformed in this area; I was wondering if there were PCI cards on the market that (1) acted as amps and (2) had audio outs for speaker wire (i.e. clips or posts). As it is now, I use the 1/8" jack out of my computer to a little external amp with a 1/8"-to-RCA cable, then run the speakers from the amp. I was hoping some product could collapse all of this into one unit - like a receiver.

Obviously, a PCI card is much smaller than just about any serious amp, but then again, it's not like such a thing would have to be rated 125w per channel for 7 channels or anything.

So... anyone have or know of such a card for computers (PC and/or Mac)?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer speakers... - 05/13/05 09:33 PM
If I understand you correctly, you're looking for a PCI card that has speaker terminals on the back to which you can directly attach you Axioms, right? As far as I know, no such product exists.

If you have a Mac G4 with a digital (non-optical) audio out connector, you can purchase this breakout cable which allows you to connect directly to any 8ohm speaker.

What I would do in your situation is buy the T-amp that everyone's been talking about. It's cheap, small, and sounds great. Just connect it to your line out with a standard mini-stereo to mini-stereo plug (included), then connect your Axioms to the spring-clip terminals. The t-amp has a volume knob on the front for easy adjustment.

Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Computer speakers... - 05/13/05 09:49 PM
Thanks Peter!

I actually have a Powermac G5, so the digital out is optical, unfortunately. Though otherwise that device looks perfect!

So the T-amp sounds good? The only turnoff I see looking at the specs is that it's battery powered...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer speakers... - 05/13/05 10:03 PM
You don't need to use batteries since it does have a spot for an adapter. any 12V, 1.5amp adapter should work. Try Radio Shack.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Computer speakers... - 05/13/05 10:59 PM
http://www.xitel.com/products.htm
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer speakers... - 05/13/05 11:10 PM
I'm aware of those products, but I think Engine_Joe wants to cut out the middle man (i.e. the receiver).
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Computer speakers... - 05/14/05 12:14 AM
Blasphemy.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Computer speakers... - 05/14/05 12:22 AM
Say what you will, I have speakers I want to use as monitors for mixing, but most monitors are set up with 1/4" inputs, and thus outputs TO monitors are set up with 1/4" outputs. The only other alternative to going straight through the computer (appears to be) a receiver, and I don't particularly WANT that entering into the signal stream.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer speakers... - 05/14/05 04:53 AM
What size is the DC jack on that puppy? I'm looking at getting the dedicated power supply thingie like 2x6 recommended. Just need to drill a bigger hole through the wall for the audio cable, and voila! 2 Zone sound!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer speakers... - 05/14/05 06:36 PM
Not sure. You can always buy it first and get the power supply later. Here's the one that the manufacturer sells.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer speakers... - 05/14/05 08:09 PM
Yeah, I actually found it, but after considering what I'd have to do to get the signal through the wall into the other room with the T-Amp, I'm starting to consider going back to the ABUS idea. Anyway, sorry for completely sidetracking the thread...
© Axiom Message Boards