Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sashgp Yamaha rx-v2500 shutting off after 8-10min - 06/14/05 12:19 PM
Just bought a new receiver and connected my klipsch speakers and dvd to it. Apparently after about 8-10 min it shuts down and goes into standby. Receiver is out in open nothing around it, sleep is off. When I touch the receiver it's not hot at all. Any idea on what is going on?
One possibility is a "strand short", ie a single strand of your speaker wire shorting between speaker terminals. A hard short will put your receiver into shutdown immediately, while a strand short will often let it play for a while.

Easiest thing to do is disconnect all the speakers carefully and check each one as you disconnect for a loose strand. Next step would be to check the speaker ends of the wires for a short.

If you don't find anything, I would try to get the receiver replaced while the store still remembers you.
Can I not unplug all the cables and turn on the receiver to see if it works correctly? Or is this not recommended?
Posted By: alan Re: Yamaha rx-v2500 shutting off after 8-10min - 06/14/05 02:38 PM
Hi Sashgp,

I would not recommend that. All amplifiers prefer a "load" on their output.

What is the nominal impedance rating of the Klipsch speakers? Make sure you have the Yamaha set to the 8-ohm load setting either in the setup menu or if there is a switch on the back of the receiver.

If the Klipsch speakers are 4-ohm loads and you have the Yamaha set to 4 ohms, it will likely go into current limiting and shut down. Try resetting the Yamaha to 8 ohms and see how it is. Multichannel AV receivers often run very warm, but they should never be too hot to touch.

Yamahas generally will not driver 4-ohm loads. But like Bridgman says, you may have a short from a strand of wire. That would trigger the protection circuitry instantly.

Regards,
impedence on the speaker is 8ohms, my receiver is set to 8. I will check the wires and see if that fixes the problem.
Thanks
© Axiom Message Boards