Axiom Home Page
Posted By: snakeyes Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/06/05 07:08 AM
im ashamed i do not know this and or can not figure it out. but my sound card has toslink out and im connecting it to a denon 485S. does the 485 have to be wma compatible to work? when i connect the sound just comes out of the pc speakers. what am i doing wrong?
Thanks
Jake
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/06/05 03:02 PM
Snake,

Make sure the Toslink is enabled in the sound card.
You may want to try turning off all other outputs except that particular optical and see if you get any sound from the receiver...Also, you may want to check to make sure the optical connection on the receiver has been enabled in the receivers' setup...

Hope this helps...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/06/05 05:57 PM
WhatFurrer has you off to a good start. Your computer will decode the WMA sound into a standard digital stream, so the WMA compatibility of your Denon is moot.
Posted By: INANE Re: Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/07/05 04:10 AM
However if you pass an AC3 stream out the AVR will decode that for ya.

But ya, make sure the *digital out* is enabled, some soundcards have em disabled by default.

Basically my AVR just says the signal is either PCM or Dolby Digital and applies the appropiate decoder. (on my HTPC)
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/08/05 02:37 AM
thanks guys i got it.
Posted By: INANE Re: Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/08/05 03:36 AM
hehe, what was it?
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Toslink and Windows Media Player - 07/08/05 04:13 PM
Not sure i think it was user error/driver to start then in my screwing around and trying different things i changed something then did not change it back after fixing initial problem. you know my own worst enemy. so i just started again from the begining and it worked like a charm. Thanks again
© Axiom Message Boards