Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mengamelon1 Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 04:48 AM
Hey guys... I just recieved my epic 80/350 and just got done hoooking it up.. everything sounds great except for my sub. There is this low freq. buzz coming from it. The buzzing starts to fade away as a turn the volume down on the back of the amp. But it comes back when its halfway turned up. Its not the ground hum because I had that problem to and i solved it by taking out the screw. Anyone know what the problem maybe? Seems like a simple problem.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:02 AM
Try tightening the screws holding in the woofer. Perhaps something shifted in shipping.
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:06 AM
I dont know because when i unplugg the cable it stops. Seems like there is interference somewhere. Ive tried changing different power outlets and it is the same. It makes the noise even when there is not signal going to it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:13 AM
well, there goes my idea.
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:18 AM
i just tried plugging in my old sub and there was no buz at all.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:20 AM
Is the cable from receiver to sub pretty good, ie decently shielded ?
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:32 AM
yea.. its a moster thx cable.. i think its the lowest end moster cable but it is decent. But do you think its the cable even though i plugged it into another sub and the problem went away?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:35 AM
Nope, doesn't sound like the cable. Even the low end Monster cables seem to be decently constructed.

There was another thread on here a couple of days ago... turned out to be a ground loop from either cable TV or satellite, not sure.

Can you try disconnecting all the sources and see if you still get the hum when listening to FM ? If no hum then add sources back in (ie reconnect cables to receiver/amp) and see when the hum starts.
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 05:49 AM
Ill try that tomorrow but wouldnt the hum still be there for the other sub too if that was the problem?
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 08:23 PM
hey guys.. i messed around with it for a little and when i unplugg the cable wire from my tv it gets a lot louder. Does this mean its coming from that?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/16/05 09:15 PM
Hmmm. It does mean that grounding is probably at least part of the problem but I'm not sure what your next step should be. Any ideas, folks ?
Posted By: maphiker Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/17/05 02:12 AM
Hi. Did you try replacing the screw in the subwoofer after you disconnected the TV cable? I had a ground loop problem with my EP500 caused by the cable TV. I ended up buying a Jensen Isomax SUB-1RR between my reciever and the sub. It solved the problem. The isomax was about $100. This fix should work no matter where the ground loop is. You can also get a transformer to go between the TV cable and the cable box which is cheaper. I was afraid of messing with the quality of my TV reception so I went for the SUB-1RR.
My first post.
Posted By: 500 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/17/05 04:50 AM
dude, i just went through the same thing last week except that my seprate amp had the hum and not my sub. I will say it is a ground loop and you should pick up an isolation transformer to break the ground loop. the guy who posts the links should be here shortly to show you what i mean. don't waste your time unplugging everything in your house like i did, i still had an audioable hum with my cable and other equipment unhooked. however i inserted the isolation transformer and it took care of the hum. the part is only 10 bucks so if it doesn't solve your problem it won't be like you spent alot of money. check out the thread tittled "power conditioners" and you'll see what i mean...
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/17/05 06:23 AM
ill take a look at that.. thanks a lot guys..
Posted By: mengamelon1 Re: Subwoofer buz - 09/18/05 04:55 AM
i had another question. You guy said if i unplug the cable from the tv and the noise goes away then thats where my problem coming from. But what if when i unplug it and it gets a lot worse. What does this mean?
© Axiom Message Boards