Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Michael_13 Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 10/30/05 08:31 PM
So do bananna plugs really mnake a difference or are they just easy to change in and out? Also with there beeing a couple of diffrent types out there do they all comply with recievers and speakers or do certain ones correspond to diffrent types of speakers and recievers?
Posted By: Wid Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 10/30/05 08:52 PM

There is no sq advantage to useing bannana plugs.I don't use them therefore I will let someone else answer the latter part.
Banana plugs are nice if you are experimenting and need to change connections often. Otherwise bare wire is fine. IMHO

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 10/30/05 11:30 PM
I went round and round on this, as have many other people. Some will argue (and I agree, but others may not) that bare wire should be your best connection. Every connector/adaptor, or whatever, is another point for signal loss and for noise to be introduced. Will any normal human being notcie a difference, I doubt it. So far BugBitten has it right on the mark. If you are going to swap around speakers or amps or receivers, etc, then banana plugs make it quick and easy. Banana plugs also offer a "clean" install, but a nicely trimmed and installed bare wire looks good in my book. Besides, how many people are going to see the back of your speakers anyway.

My vote: Save the $$$, and skip the banana plugs.
Posted By: Nat Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 10/30/05 11:58 PM
to add a little bit to that, banana's will make it easier to insert thick (or double) wires into a tight space. E.g. the back of my 3805 is a nightmare to work with because of the closeness of all terminals.

I have extremely long runs and use double wires for the front speakers.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 10/31/05 12:26 PM
With bananas, it is a little more difficult to get a "single" wire strand to short to something else and cause problems.
Posted By: Richie Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 01/08/06 07:48 AM
I use Banana Plugs only because they make it easy to plug and unplug speakers from the back of my Denon 3805 AVR. Working with bare speaker wire in cramped spaces is very inconvenient! The plugs are available in several price ranges. I use the 'deluxe' ones made by RCA. They cost about $5-$6 a pair at Home Depot.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 01/08/06 08:29 AM
I use banana's just for the ease of use. I have a Denon 3805 also, and connecting six speakers with bare wire in close quarters is a nightmare. If the connections are made well there should be no difference in sound.
Posted By: RickF Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 01/08/06 08:38 AM
I use banana plugs on the business end of the receiver and bare wire on the speakers.
In reply to:

I use banana plugs on the business end of the receiver and bare wire on the speakers.

I'm actually thinking about doing this too. I have found that the axiom speaker binding posts are easy to connect the wires, and don't chew up the connection. The receiver, on the other hand, I have to really tighten the binding posts just so the bare wire stays IN the terminal. Not to mention really twisting and mashing the wire out of shape. All the axiom binding posts really do is just flatten the wire since they have a hole you can put the wire in. Most receivers just twist it around into a little mess.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Bananna plugs do they make a diffrence? - 01/08/06 05:29 PM
I had bare wire, at both ends, for many years. I recently changed to bananna plugs. Why? For years, I didn't change anything. Now, I am going to be changing the setup as I buy new gear, and, we are planning on moving in the next year or two.

I used the plugs for the ease of disconnect/ reconnect. With my current receiver, you have to be careful connecting all the wires. There isn't much room back there. Banana plugs make it lots easier.
In reply to:

Ditto!
© Axiom Message Boards