Axiom Home Page
I know connecting two speakers in parallel will result in the same sound coming out of both speakers at the cost of a drop in impedance, but if I wanted to connect a second center channel speaker using a mono block amp how would it be connected?

If the back of the receiver/processor only has one pre-out for the center channel would you then use a 'Y' connector from the receiver/processor pre-out to each of the center channel amps?

Yes Rick you could split the signal using a Y connector and it would work fine.
Hey thanks Mr. Rick! See there, I'm learning.
Rick, as Rick(about as many Ricks and Richs here as Johns)commented, you could certainly do that, but assuming that you have an amp which can handle the parallel load with the two centers, you can simply run speaker wire from it to both centers. No second amp would be necessary.
By running a Y into a second amp, you’d then be running the two amps in series. I’m not all that certain it would gain you much. My basic electricity is weak today…..John, can you fill in the blanks???
Mike, I believe by using a 'Y' connector out of the processor's center channel pre-amp all you are doing is taking the signal and splitting it to each amp which in turns provides the power for each speaker. By running both speakers out of one amp/receiver in parallel you'll be dropping the impedance of the combined speakers thus requiring an amp that will be capable of handling the impedance drop of both combined speakers.

For example if I wanted to connect a 6 ohm VP150 in parallel with an 8 ohm VP100 the impedance will drop to 3.45 ohms, thus requiring an amp or receiver that will be capable of handling a 4 ohm or less combined speaker impedance.

Using two different amps I would then use the 'Y' splitter out of the processor's center ch pre-out and eliminating the impedance drop. You'd have a 6 ohm VP150 powered by one amp while the 8 ohm VP100 would be powered by the other amp. The 'Y' splitter does nothing more than split the signal to the amps that in turn powers the speakers.

Or something like that.

Well Rick, as Rick sees it you are correct on what you have assessed.
Right.

I think that's right Rick; Rich.

I think that's right Rick; Rich.

Wow!!....that's just like gettin' a greeting card!

Way too cool
Rich.
Sorry, I misunderstoud you. Thought you were coming out of the amp into a Y.

My bad.
Mike are you going to connect a pair of center channel speakers for your HT room?
That's the way I'm leaning........two M22's with pair of M60's for the mains.
That's sounds great. From what I understand Ian and Amie have a couple of VP-150s connected and they are supposed to sound very, very sweet.

I'm going to try connecting my existing VP-100 up with a VP-150 whenever I'm finished with my room project here in a few weeks to see how it works out.
Depending on how the screen and front wall turn out, I might just go with two VP's as well. I¡¦m building an arched soffet over the screen and not quite sure what the dimensions are going to be yet ( I frame on the fly ƒº ). Who knows.......I keep changing my mind every time I think I have it figured out. The only sure thing is the 600 and my incredible abilities with the art of procrastination. Plus, I changed my plans in mid stream. I¡¦m finishing the spa room first now. I thought I could get the Jacuzzi downstairs at a later date, but no, I need it down there now so I can finish a couple walls. I didn¡¦t realize how damn heavy those friggin things are!! 800 pounds!! Down a flight of stairs to boot!!
In reply to:

I keep changing my mind every time I think I have it figured out. The only sure thing is the 600 and my incredible abilities with the art of procrastination. Plus, I changed my plans in mid stream. I¡¦m finishing the spa room first now. I thought I could get the Jacuzzi downstairs at a later date, but no, I need it down there now so I can finish a couple walls. I didn¡¦t realize how damn heavy those friggin things are!! 800 pounds!! Down a flight of stairs to boot!!

Procrastination, next to beer is probably man's closest friend!

Oh man, I feel for you on that spa deal Mike, we actually took out a floor level spa a few weeks ago. Fortunately a sawzall helped along the way...we cut that beast up into quarters and toted it off to the dump but the fun part was filling the void in with fill and then mixing and pouring 25 80# bags of Quikrete to floor level.

Funny little story there as well. Whenever we bought the 25 bags of quikrete from Home Depot I parked the cart and a half of quikrete outside and went and got my truck to load it up under drive thru. In the meantime my 5'1" 115lb wife asked one of the 'associates' to help load the bags the dude went into an immediate sob story about how he hurt his shoulder last time he help load concrete and just kept on going on and on about this and that and "why didn't you get 60# bags" and so forth. About 6 or 7 bags into the little tirade he noticed my wife was loading just as many bags as he was, he looked over at me and I gave him one of those 'Ok what was that you were saying....(insert the word Amie deleted from the joke post a couple of days ago)? The dude never said a word after that!
We got in the truck and my wife looks over at me and smiles "That shut him up, didn't it?"

That's why I don't mess with her...too much!
© Axiom Message Boards