Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DBoltz HDMI Cable Length - 12/19/05 03:19 AM
I am setting up a HT room and need to run HDMI cable 25 - 30 feet from receiver to projector. Can anyone tell me if this is possible without signal degradation. I've had a hard time getting a definitive answer on this.

Thanks,

Don
Posted By: ratpack Re: HDMI Cable Length - 12/19/05 04:09 AM
Why don't you call a cable vendor like Blue Jeans or go to their website and see what they offer.

I suspect that the answer is "YES" but you should talk to some of the technical "experts."
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HDMI Cable Length - 12/19/05 04:45 AM
I have a 25ft HDMI/DVI and a 25ft Component that run from my projector to my AV equipment, quality is fine. I purchased both of them from [url]http://www.monoprice.com{/url} . Don't get hung up on expensive brands unless you have plenty of cash. I know a lot of people that have HDMI or DVI longer than my runs, however, everything has limits. I think you would be fine.
Posted By: JohnK Re: HDMI Cable Length - 12/19/05 05:05 AM
Don, welcome. There should be no difficulty if you correctly set up a 25' connection. It's said that up to 50' works well, subject to three variables: strength of the signal sent, losses in the connector,and sensitivity of the receiving set. It would be advisable to use the thicker 24ga cable for that distance, which is available at quite reasonable cost from sources such as Monoprice, which Randy used, and has this cable available(with an interesting review). By the way, it would be appropriate to send Christmas lobsters to those who've replied with such valuable info.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: HDMI Cable Length - 12/19/05 05:17 AM
I ordered a 50' HDMI 24ga cable from monoprice.com. I haven't recieved them yet, they're set to arrive on Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't suffer any loss in pq. If I do, well, it's just something I'll have to live with for that's the length I need. I technically only need a 40' cable, but for the price, I went with the 50'. They didn't have a 40', and although 40' cables can be found, I couldn't pass up on the savings. We'll see how it turnes out once it shows and I get it hooked up.

Sutter
Posted By: DBoltz Re: HDMI Cable Length - 12/20/05 12:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. The mooprice cable looks real good at that price point.
© Axiom Message Boards