Axiom Home Page
Posted By: steveatl Dolby 5/1 digital to analog "black box" - 12/22/05 06:05 PM
I have a DVD player with digital output both coax and optical but my older receiver only has discrete 5/1 analog inputs. Is there a "black box" that can get me from one to the other?

Thx,
Posted By: Ajax Re: Dolby 5/1 digital to analog "black box" - 12/22/05 07:59 PM
Your DVD player is the "little black box" you're looking for (I hope). It all depends on whether or not your DVD player has multichannel analog 5.1 outputs. If it does, just connect those to your 5.1 analog inputs on the receiver. The digital to analog conversion (DAC) will be done by your DVD player, rather than by the receiver, which apparently doesn't have a DAC. If your DVD player doesn't have the 5.1 analog outputs, I fear you are in need of a new receiver that has digital inputs.

Steve, here is a little "white" box that will do the job. Although developed for PC it will do what you want. Although for the money, you may be able to find a DVD player with the decoder built-in. Or Find a newer receiver. I got my Yamaha off e-bay cheap, and it was in perfect condition. Look at my bio for the model #.

Posted By: steveatl Re: Dolby 5/1 digital to analog "black box" - 12/22/05 08:50 PM
Sorry, my DVD only has the digital outputs, not the analog ones.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Dolby 5/1 digital to analog "black box" - 12/23/05 04:01 AM
Steve, welcome. Yes, if your player has only digital outputs and your receiver has only analog inputs, there would have to be a separate decoder for them to be used together. As Shawn commented, however, it might be more sensible to get one of the fine inexpensive HT receivers which are available and have updated features, rather than spending money on a separate decoder.
I agree here. There are receivers (some refurbed) on the market in the 200-500 range that should take care of you.
© Axiom Message Boards