Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rcvecc dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:11 PM
i have a cable box with a dvi out and a hdmi in on my tv and am getting no sound.does a dvi output send sound?or just video....thanks

Posted By: SirQuack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:18 PM
dvi - digital video only

hdmi - digital video/audio
Posted By: rcvecc Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:21 PM
thanks
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:29 PM
I use a DVI/HDMI cable for my Sanyo Z2 projector to my Panny S97S DVD. My Panny has HDMI and the projector has DVI only. I use an optical cable for digital sound from my receiver to my panny...
Posted By: RickF Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:36 PM
What's up with the HDMI's chincy connection anyway? I had to get an HDMI/DVI adapter a few days ago because the old cable box had DVI only while the new one has HDMI only and yours truly only had a DVI cable, the doggone adapter wants to continuously fall out of the set top box if you look at it the wrong way.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:41 PM
I'm with you on that Rick, I never understood why they didn't have a clip or locking mechanism to secure those bad boys. Heck, I have some component cables that I practically have to use pliars to get off, their that tight...
Posted By: RickF Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:46 PM
In reply to:

Heck, I have some component cables that I practically have to use pliars to get off, their that tight...

Tight is good!

Actually I really like the way the DVI connect has the two thumb screws, too bad the HDMI connect isn't like that.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:57 PM
ok-one more question
what is supposed to be better?dvi or component or should i try them both and see?
Posted By: ratpack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:59 PM
DVI is "supposed" to be better because it is all digital. But, with a good component setup, I doubt that you can really see any difference.
Posted By: RickF Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 02:59 PM
Ron I use a combination of component cables and HDMI/DVI cables and really can't tell much of any audio/video difference.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 03:02 PM
I think a lot can depend on your equipment. When using DVI or HDMI the signal stays digital from point A to point B. With component it gets converted from digital/analog and then back from analog/digital. There are times where I enjoy the movie like appearance of component over DVI/HDMI. My Panny S97S DVD player is an upconverting dvd player that gives you 720p or 1080i to my projector. The picture is better over DVI in my situation, but others have expressed minimal difference.

I have a Samsung OTA (over the air) High Def box to pick up local HD broadcasts. It only has component and the picture is fantastic. I bought it before DVI and HDMI came out.
Posted By: ratpack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 03:52 PM
Thanks Bob.

That's exactly what I thought!!!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/07/06 08:28 PM
A couple advantages of using HDMI or DVI are that you are using 1 cable vs the 3 you need for component video, also if your DVD can play 720 or 1080, I beleive you need to use the HDMI or DVI inputs.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/08/06 01:08 AM
There are a few upconverting DVD players that will work with component, but most require DVI or HDMI....
Posted By: PaulM Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/12/06 07:34 AM
Randy
You mention there are a few DVD players that will upconvert via the component output. I've recently been looking for just that type of DVD player. Have you any suggestions?

I've got a NEC LT240k projector that has VGA and component inputs, but no DVI or HDMI. The projector is capable of XGA resolution. The only DVD player I've found so far that upconverts through component (or VGA would probably work) is the LG LDA-531 ( Canadian model ). But reading the fine print it says in the manual it will only upconvert "unprotected" DVD's via the component output. It won't upconvert retail DVD movies for some odd reason via component, just via HDMI.

Paul
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/12/06 04:02 PM
Paul, if I recall correctly, the Oppo, Zenith 880(with older firmware), and the momitsu 880 will upconvert over component. There may be others, just can't remember. If you are a member on AVSforum, you might post that questionn on the DVD Players forum....
Posted By: PaulM Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/12/06 07:55 PM
Thanks Randy, I'll check those models out.
Posted By: Craig_P Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/14/06 05:13 PM
The Oppo does not upconvert over component. In fact, it won't even do progressive over component. The Faroudja chip is only on the digital output, so unless you're using the digi out, do not buy the Oppo.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/14/06 05:36 PM
Oppo site photo

Note that on the box it reads "upconverts via DVI."
Posted By: bugbitten Re: dvi to hdmi - 01/14/06 05:40 PM
Momitsu Spec sheet

Upconverts via component. See "Video Out Terminals"
© Axiom Message Boards