Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Myles Center channel comparisons - 10/16/01 01:13 PM
OK, I've been experimenting with my old center (PSB100c) and the new one (VP150). I find that the vocals tend to sound slightly different. The 100C seems to be a little more bright with the VP150 being more neutral. I also notice that the VP150 seems to have slightly more presence but this is much more noticeable at higher volumes. Would this be true of a comparison of the VP100 vs the VP150? Given that both the VP100 ahd VP150 have the same woofers and tweeter What advantage do the extra driver and tweeter give?

Also, do you recommend the "large" center setting for the vp150.

Also, why no porting on your centers?

I like the sound of the vp150 but since things sound different I've been listening to old CD's. The difference is more pronounced on high freq female vocals.

Posted By: Ian Re: Center channel comparisons - 10/18/01 11:13 AM
The extra woofer and tweeter in the VP150 increases the output per watt, increases the maximum spl, and raises the power handling level. As a result the VP150 can play very clean, loud, and acurate. The driver array in the VP150 also adds to the sound stage.

You can certainly use the large setting for the VP150. You should try both settings to see what works best in your room.

We decided against porting the center channels to keep the power handling as high as possible.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Posted By: norb Re: Center channel comparisons - 12/11/01 06:43 AM
Myles: Do you find that the dialog on the VP150 is precise and neutral? I am looking for a center channel that will not be washed out, or sound a bit fuzzy when viewing DVD's. All the center channels I have demo'd either sacrifice the bass to achieve vocal clarity or drown out the vocal clarity to get clear bass.

Posted By: Ian Re: Center channel comparisons - 12/11/01 11:25 AM
Norb, just to jump in on your question, the answer to your dilemma is to put a small sub in your center channel circuit. Our EP125 would allow for you to run the speaker wires from the receiver to the sub and then to the center channel. This is really the only way to solve this issue short of putting a tower speaker on top of your television. This being said I know some people who have put an M80 on the floor in front of their big screen to get what you are looking for. I would go with the EP125 and a VP150.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
© Axiom Message Boards