Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jeet Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/15/07 06:10 PM
I made an impulse purchase last weekend: Bose Acoustimass10, and was disappointed after setting them up. I assume that I need proper speakers and will return the bose set. I am looking at Axiom's Epic Midi or Master (or on-par competitor's speakers) for my condo. Here are some other speakers that I have listened to and liked or disliked:
- Totem's "Dreamcatcher", my favorites sound, high price
- Monitor Audio "bronze set", second favorites, high price
- Energy's entry-level, harsh (high-end) for my ears
- Polk Audio, too bassy
- B&W entry level, not impressed and too expensive for their higher models

I truly enjoy vocal clarity / midrange when listening versus an emphasis on low-end bass. Also, my receiver is a Yamaha RX-V550.

If someone in my neighborhood would be open to allowing me to briefly listen to their Axiom speakers, I would be truly grateful for this opportunity as it would help me to make a decision! Alternatively, if anyone could articulate the difference I could expect compared to the speakers above, thanks in advance...

Jitu
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/15/07 09:58 PM
I helped my father-in law pick his grand master 350 system. He is in Kaleden tho, about 4 hours from Vancouver...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/15/07 10:17 PM
I have fond memories of Kaledon and the surrounding area. We vacationed on Laka Skaha for a number of years. My kids asked me how the hotel burned down and I made up one doozy of a tale that scared the bejeebies out of them.

I just had a look at the Epic Master system and I can't believe that you also get the 500 for a couple of grand. That's a heck of a deal! If the 500 is anything like the 600, you'll have deep, transparent, musical bass that I haven't heard in any other sub.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/16/07 12:00 AM
to add to Mojos the M22s are the clearest and detailed bookshelfs you can get for the money, IMO. The M2(Midi sytem) are similar to the M22s and the M3s are said to be more warm sounding less mid and highs in front of you.

The 30 day in home trial is something to consider, just order the M2's have a listen and if you really don't like them ship them back, shipping for them isn't that much, and if upgrading, Axiom usually picks up the tab for the shipping \:\) But I am willing to bet you will like them.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/16/07 12:11 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about M3s. I don't hear too much about M2s though.

Jason, we have to take a trip down to K&W Audio to listen to Totems.

BTW Jeet, did you know that the Acoustimass cubes create a plethora of lovely, shimmering colors accompanied by mellifluous snaps, crackles and pops as they are consumed by flames? Maybe this is a new market for Bose.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/16/07 04:42 AM
I actually have heard the Totems, when A&B sound were pushing them. But that was a few years ago and I seem to remember them as not as forward as the M22s nor quite as clear,but still very nice and you get to pay more money! They are a wood veneer though which makes them more equivelant to the Vasollo series, much closer in the cost department.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 12:20 AM
I've never heard Totems, but I love the veneer on those speakers. Very nice.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 01:05 AM
Apparently, Totem also veneers the inside of the speakers for acoustic purposes.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 01:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Apparently, Totem also veneers the inside of the speakers for acoustic purposes.

????

I'd have to peek through the port.

No.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 01:43 AM
That's what one review said. I say it's a waste of money.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 03:17 AM
Veneer inside to make the sound waves look good as well!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 09:25 PM
Apparently you don't believe that real wood veneer gives reflected sound waves that extra je ne sais quoi over and above a regular MDF surface reflection.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/17/07 09:35 PM
As a matter of fact, real wood veneer gives them more je ne sais quoi than MDF.
Posted By: jeet Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 10/18/07 04:46 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the information; however, there doesn't appear to be anyone in Vancouver, Canada who can offer a demo. I may go with 30-day trial, and I will certainly let you know how it goes...
Thanks, Jeet
This might be a bit late, but I'm just outside of Victoria and I have m80's if you wanted to come for a listen.
Posted By: jeet Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 03/08/10 11:07 PM
I forgot to follow up, but I bought the M22s, VP100, QS4 and I have been extermely pleased with them. Other speakers in this price range can't even come close. Thanks everyone for the input.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 03/09/10 09:56 AM
Glad to hear you bought some and are liking them \:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 03/09/10 11:31 AM
Welcome aboard!
Posted By: snazzed Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 03/09/10 08:24 PM
MINE JUST SHIPPED!

South Surrey will soon have a Hearing Things location! \:D

snazzed
Posted By: DavidH Re: Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Victoria? - 03/12/10 01:05 PM
If you don't mind a drive out to Abbotsford, I have a pair of M60v2's and a VP150v2.
© Axiom Message Boards