Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mapatton Anyone in Central FL - 01/01/08 05:42 PM
Looking for an audtion in Central FL.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/01/08 06:28 PM
If you don't mind an hour and a half drive from Orlando to Vero Beach, I have a pair of 80s, 60s, an EP600, EP350, a VP150, VP100 and 4 QS8s you can take a listen to.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/01/08 09:03 PM
Many thanks Rick! I would be interested in that.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/01/08 09:52 PM
Didn't realize you had M60s as well, Rick.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/01/08 09:54 PM

He did have M50s too.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 12:24 AM
Rick (BrotherBob) is our SW rep for Axiom in the states. \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 12:36 AM
Florida ... SW Randy?? I'm not even on the SW coast of Florida! \:D \:D

(Am I the only one who misses the little smiley face with the tongue sticking out from the old boards?) \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 12:38 AM
I totally miss that smilie. :-P, new software. :-P
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 12:47 AM
Dang, I've had to many Boulevard Pale Ale's. \:\) ha ha I was thinking SE, but for whatever reason typed SW, and 40 is not that old, ha ha
Posted By: RickF Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 01:01 AM
40? Yea but ... it's not *that* young either! \:D \:D

\:\)
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 01:02 AM
Many thanks.
I am curious in M60's (I believe my Pio Elite 94 wouldn;t be too happy with the 4 ohm M80's), the QS8's and W150 (which will work better for the mounting solution I have).

RickF,I will PM you.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 01:51 AM

Your Elite is a Mosfit based amp and would do fine with the M80s.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 02:20 AM
Hmm,

that would lead to another question(s)

How tall would 80's with spikes be? I am forced into a certain mounting situation less than ideal. I have about 41.5 inches in height to work with.

Here is a link to a pic of where they would need to go. This opening is being modified with acoustical foam lining to negate near-field reflections that could occur.

Also attached is a somewhat dated of the system itself. The opening for the center isn;t wide enough for the VP150, thus why I am thinking of the W150. In addition, I could construction an angled internal frame that would angle the W150 downward, thus helping with the off-axis situation when I am lying on the floor \:\)

Posted By: jakewash Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 07:26 AM
The 80's with the rubber feet are 40.25". I would think the rubber feat are better in the cabinet than the spikes would be.

I like the look of your system, not too sure about the SQ with the speakers mounted inside like that and with the foam it will get even tighter in that space, nit much room for the speakers to breathe. Any chance you could mount the M80s sticking out slightly from the wall and no doors?
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 02:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
The 80's with the rubber feet are 40.25". I would think the rubber feat are better in the cabinet than the spikes would be.

I like the look of your system, not too sure about the SQ with the speakers mounted inside like that and with the foam it will get even tighter in that space, nit much room for the speakers to breathe. Any chance you could mount the M80s sticking out slightly from the wall and no doors?

Many thanks.

The needed WAF requires that the speakers be inside. \:\)

Currently, the effect on SQ has not been too detrimental. The fabric in the doors is acoustical fabric so there is little affect on SQ there. The acoustical foam project is yet to be completed to get a feel for impact there. Needless to say, if detrimental, it can be undone and/or modified.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 06:11 PM
The problem is not the front panel fabric, however, the foam lining in the enclosure would provide little benefit for first reflection points.

The problem is placing a ported speaker in an enclosed area. A ported speaker needs to filter the low bass into the room. I think most will not recommend placing most of the Axiom speakers, or any ported speaker, in such an enclosed quarters.

Also, you will need at least 6-8' of room behind the 60's or 80's for best results, in a normal back wall setup.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 07:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
The problem is not the front panel fabric, however, the foam lining in the enclosure would provide little benefit for first reflection points.

The problem is placing a ported speaker in an enclosed area. A ported speaker needs to filter the low bass into the room. I think most will not recommend placing most of the Axiom speakers, or any ported speaker, in such an enclosed quarters.

Also, you will need at least 6-8' of room behind the 60's or 80's for best results, in a normal back wall setup.

Ahh the rub,

6" is doable, 6' is not. Hmmmm, what to do. WAF must be achieved.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 07:47 PM

Axiom in walls.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 08:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: wid

Axiom in walls.

Where I was thinking. I was hoping that I could use a tower instead with some proper treatments.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 08:20 PM
6"-8" I think is probably acceptable. Most of us don't have 6' of space to leave empty in our rooms...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 08:23 PM
Treatments consist of bass traps and first reflection points. Bass traps should be placed in corners of the room or corners where walls meet ceiling/floor. First reflection panels go on ceiling and walls where the first reflection point of the speaker relates to your seated position.

Placing foam in that little opening will accomplish nothing, and possibly make matters worse. I meant to say 6" of room behind the speakers to allow the low bass to filter into the room from the rear ports. Again, this is assuming the speakers are up against a wall.

I'm not saying it won't work, you just won't get the best sound for your money. As Rick mentioned, you may want to consider the Architecture W22's and W150 in wall/on wall speakers. Also, Axiom will be coming out with their "T" series in the near future, that will be a flush in wall design.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 08:39 PM
OK, offering this some more thought.
With the cabinet insulation, I was also looking at making a front piece that would allow the speaker to poke through, and effectively minimize any radiation around the speaker.

Thinking of this in rear ported terms:

If too close to the rear wall, it could get boomy. I could control this by making a panel to seal off the rear of the speaker. (So a panel from the speaker side to wall). Coupled with an acoustical treatment in that area on the walls, should allow me I believe to minimize the effect of being to close to the back wall.

Not a very good description of what I have in my head. What I am looking to accomplish with this is to create an acoustically nuetral enviroment for the rear of the speaker while allowing for space to provide for any needed suspension supplied by the rear ports.

thoughts?
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 08:42 PM

Give it a shot, the worst that can happen is you send them back. I think it will work.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 08:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Treatments consist of bass traps and first reflection points. Bass traps should be placed in corners of the room or corners where walls meet ceiling/floor. First reflection panels go on ceiling and walls where the first reflection point of the speaker relates to your seated position.

Placing foam in that little opening will accomplish nothing, and possibly make matters worse. I meant to say 6" of room behind the speakers to allow the low bass to filter into the room from the rear ports. Again, this is assuming the speakers are up against a wall.

I'm not saying it won't work, you just won't get the best sound for your money. As Rick mentioned, you may want to consider the Architecture W22's and W150 in wall/on wall speakers. Also, Axiom will be coming out with their "T" series in the near future, that will be a flush in wall design.

Many thanks.
I did not see your post before my last post. Within the enclosure, the speakers are positioned as far forward as possible. The thought in the foam was to reduce any standing waves occuring.

Each enclosure's dimensions are 19 inches wide, 41.75 inches tall and 21.5 inches deep.

Anywhere where I can read more about the T Series?

The W150 is the item considered for the center due to some dimension requirements, as well as the ability to build a custom frame that will allow me to slightly downangle the center to minimize off axis presentation.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/02/08 09:00 PM
I don't think they have released much information other than this thread had a brief picture at a recent show.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=159991#Post159991

Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/03/08 06:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I talked to JC at Axiom, and he noted that they will be bringing out in wall versions of the M60 and M80 in the next few months. This will not doubt be a better solution.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/03/08 06:38 PM
Say whut?!
Posted By: CV Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/03/08 06:45 PM
Ha ha. What, you didn't know?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/04/08 01:38 AM
That is news to me, I need to call my inside contacts.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/04/08 06:28 AM
I need to get some inside contacts.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/04/08 09:50 AM
It's not April yet is it?
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/04/08 12:56 PM
He tenatively referenced late Feb or March.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/04/08 07:44 PM
In wall M80s?!?!?! Wow that will be amazing, I really cannot wait...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/04/08 07:44 PM
For the record, Axiom's project month projections are never right, Amie said I would be able to pre-order the Axiom 2 channel bookshelf in November 2007...it is now January 2008 \:\(
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/08/08 07:58 PM
Geez, Robb, lighten up \:\) I learned a LONG time ago to not say either "never" or "always" to my wife.

mapatton, given your situation, I'd wait for the inwall M60/M80's.

That should be a REALLY interesting design challenge.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/08/08 09:34 PM
 Quote:
I learned a LONG time ago to not say either "never" or "always" to my wife.

Words of wisdom Tom, because once either of those two words are mentioned they will never forget and always remind you. \:\)
Posted By: mapatton Re: Anyone in Central FL - 01/09/08 03:33 AM
Thank you. I will be waiting for those new ones. If nothing else changes, will be looking to the M60.

Then again, if I get the Lotto, guess it could be the M80s with a new amp \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards