Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/13/08 06:46 AM
So Sunday I flew down to meet a girl I've been talking to online for 3 years, in Loma Linda, and wouldn't you know it, Sean (St_PatGuy) lives not far away at all. We arranged to meet on Monday, which occurred at Outback Steakhouse (thanks for picking up the check, by the way), and afterward he allowed us to go over to his place and check out his system. It was a lot of fun. I could have spent a lot more time there, but Cari had to be somewhere (as in, I was clutching the seat and praying away the cops as she did up to 95 mph when leaving Sean's place), and we had to cut it short.

Sean, thanks for the hospitality. If I'm in the area again, I'll have to schedule more time to intrude. You're just as cool in person as you are on the board. Thanks for doing most of the talking. \:\)

Anyway, I'm finally caught up with the message board activity. I'm used to checking multiple times per day, not having to catch up on 4 days of posts at once. You guys talk a lot.

Oh, and Sean, remind me what that opera disc was. I didn't commit it to memory like I thought I would. It seemed like a fun disc to show off a system with.

Oh, yeah, and Cari wanted me to clarify on what you suspected was her boredom. She swears that she was actually very interested in the audio stuff, and in fact commented later in the visit, "I want to go listen to The Con on his system." \:\) However, she realizes she may have looked bored because a little earlier she was in pain and stopped at the gas station to pick up some pain reliever. Unfortunately, all they had was Tylenol PM, so she thinks she was tired from that. Always nice to know I was being driven around at 95 mph by someone who was inclined to zonk out. Ha ha.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/13/08 01:59 PM
Charles, I'm glad both of you had fun. Sorry to hear Cari wasn't feeling too good.

Ha ha, I probably talked alot because my close friends aren't into audio stuff at all and it was a nice change of pace to show my system off to someone who is.

Although we were only able to visit for a few hours it was fun. This was the first time I've met someone from the forum in person and I hope future meetings, either with Charles or other members, can be as equally pleasurable-- *cough*tuttlefest*cough* ;\)

Oh yeah, the cd was Carmina Burana by Orff (sorry, no link--I'm at work and can't get to certain sites). I'm not quite sure it is exactly opera, but maybe JohnK can clarify--he is the one who suggested the disc to me in the first place.

Charles, thank you for the kind words, and, again, I'm glad you guys had fun.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/13/08 03:29 PM
Yeah, the Tuttlefest Planning Committee had better get busy! Let me know where to show up! And get your Rx orders in earlier than last time, OK?!

Sounds like a good get-together that you guys had. I certainly count you two among the Axiomites that I am looking forward to meeting one day.
Posted By: RickF Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/13/08 06:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
So Sunday I flew down to meet a girl I've been talking to online for 3 years, in Loma Linda, and wouldn't you know it, Sean (St_PatGuy) lives not far away at all. We arranged to meet on Monday, which occurred at Outback Steakhouse (thanks for picking up the check, by the way), and afterward he allowed us to go over to his place and check out his system. It was a lot of fun. I could have spent a lot more time there, but Cari had to be somewhere (as in, I was clutching the seat and praying away the cops as she did up to 95 mph when leaving Sean's place), and we had to cut it short.

You know Charles, Regina is really going to be P.O.'ed at you whenever she reads this.
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/13/08 06:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
You know Charles, Regina is really going to be P.O.'ed at you whenever she reads this.

\:D Yeah, that's why I did it. I have to stir up the passion in her somehow.

Okay, now Cari's going to rip my head off. I just can't win.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/14/08 03:07 AM
Yeah Sean, it was good to read of the nice visit Charles had with you. Yes, Carmina Burana isn't classified as an opera, but usually is referred to as a cantata(that explains everything, right?). The usual differentiation is that an opera features individual singers to a greater extent, while a cantata features a chorus with orchestral accompaniment, although there can be some vocal solos. Carmina Burana has become very popular in the classical realm and web sites such as this one discuss it and Orff in some detail. Probably you played the Muti disc, which I've often recommended from the several that I own, because it combines fine performance and sound at a bargain price around $5-6.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/14/08 03:12 AM
There's the opera and the cantata. Then there's the oft-overlooked cantopera, in which a chorus fails miserably to reproduce famous arias.
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/14/08 03:54 AM
Thanks, John and Sean. I ordered the Carmina Burana. At $5.97, I don't think I can go wrong.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/14/08 04:38 AM
Thanks JohnK! And, yes, Charles, it's quite a bargain. Hope you enjoy it.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/14/08 10:28 PM
Cool! Thanks for the update, gentlemen.

I'll start a thread. Or maybe I'll recruit a committee to study when and if a thread should be started.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 05:33 AM
Rancho Cucamonga huh? I visit my sis in Yucaipa a few times each year, which isn't too far from you. Just leave the door unlocked and I'll let myself in...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 06:13 AM
 Quote:
Just leave the door unlocked and I'll let myself in...

Will do, Michael! \:D
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 06:14 AM
As long as he takes his shoes off before entering.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 06:35 AM
Charles and Sean,

What both of you don't realize is that Carmina Burana can't be fully appreciated unless you have M80s and an A1400 so that you may experience all of the dynamic range inherent in the recording. Charles you're half-way there. Sean, I'm not sure if your Loreleis can take the pounding that the A1400 dishes out.

As for JohnK, he will never move away from his M22s. An A1400 wouldn't do him any good because his M22s will just act as fuses \:\) .

Since both of you bought the CD, now you have to buy the remaining hardware.
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 08:02 AM
Tex, remember that I do have both the M80s and the A1400-8. It's the Audiobytes that I still need. \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 03:16 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Thanks. Looks like you're all set for Carmina Burana then. I wouldn't be smiling though if I didn't have audiobytes .
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 03:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
As long as he takes his shoes off before entering.

House rules! \:D
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 03:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Charles and Sean,

What both of you don't realize is that Carmina Burana can't be fully appreciated unless you have M80s and an A1400 so that you may experience all of the dynamic range inherent in the recording. Charles you're half-way there. Sean, I'm not sure if your Loreleis can take the pounding that the A1400 dishes out.

As for JohnK, he will never move away from his M22s. An A1400 wouldn't do him any good because his M22s will just act as fuses \:\) .

Since both of you bought the CD, now you have to buy the remaining hardware.

You know, I'd like to see how much of a pounding an A1400 can give to my Loreleis. Uh, anyone want to donate one to me?

Since I have a small room I think my ears would give out before my speakers.
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Since I have a small room I think my ears would give out before my speakers.

I can attest to the small room. As I was telling Sean while I was there, however, it's my kind of room, full of attractive hardware and plenty of media along the walls.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:20 PM
Thanks, Charles. I'm halfway tempted to put my CDs into notebooks, but I like being able to stand there and scan the titles for what I want to listen to rather than flip through pages. There will come a point, though, where I run out of space.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:24 PM
Sean you need to rip them into flac and then you can sit on the couch while you flip through the titles on the Denon 3808 GUI to choose which one you want. I am thoroughly enjoying this aspect of the 3808.
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:26 PM
But Sean only has SACD and DVD-Audio. Ha ha, that would be funny.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:30 PM
Yeah, I looked into that a couple of months ago, Jason, but it still doesn't appeal to me yet. I dunno, I'm a little old school. Someday, I may wake up and decide it's the route for me.

You darn kids and your new technology! (shakes fist at sky)

Hey, I'm not that old. Yet. . .
Posted By: CV Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:32 PM
It's never too early to practice being old. Get that fist pumping down.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 04:33 PM
I definitely need more practice. Just hit myself in the eye.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/15/08 11:52 PM
It didn't appeal to me until I had the 3808 and its networking capability, I had to try it out and now I love it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/16/08 01:16 AM
 Quote:
Get that fist pumping down.
I'm sure he had that down by 13.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/16/08 03:13 AM
Ahem--12 and a half.
Posted By: myrison Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/18/08 12:51 PM
Can someone post a link to the exact album you're talking about? I searched Amazon for it and found about 15 of them.... I'm not sure what "multi disc" you're talking about (especially for six bucks!), please point me in the right direction.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/19/08 12:20 AM
myrison, this is the album we are referring to. Six bucks is a bargain and a half. You will instantly recognize the music when you hear it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/19/08 02:27 AM
Jason, as you now see, it's "Muti", who's the conductor.

If you order from Amazon or Tower($4.38) , it's a good idea to add three or four CDs to get over the $25 for free shipping.
Posted By: myrison Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/19/08 03:10 AM
Thanks, in my Amazon shopping cart now! Also looking for other recommendations in this post if you have other recommendations!
Posted By: myrison Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean - 03/19/08 03:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK

If you order from Amazon or Tower($4.38) , it's a good idea to add three or four CDs to get over the $25 for free shipping.

Thanks guys, I signed up for Amazon Prime a couple of years ago and love it. ($75 / year for free 2-day shipping on everything you order and a super cheap ($5 or $10, can't remember) upgrade to overnight shipping if you really need it ASAP. I make my money back many times over on that deal every year!
© Axiom Message Boards