Axiom Home Page
Posted By: duckman Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 01:45 AM
I've had this thought for a while now and the thread on music you've never heard brought it to a head, my head actually. A car audio forum I used to frequent had a cdr that they mailed around between themselves, each person adding a song that was exceptional in some way- SQ high on the list. This exposed others to music they may never have heard.
So what do you all think of doing something similar here? The Amazon samples are pretty lacking for a potential $20.00 cd purchase and tell you nothing of the SQ of a cd. I would love to sample some of John K's favorite classical, or some obscure canadian known only by locals. High quality mp3's would allow more songs without eliminating the SQ aspect, as would using a dvdr if nesessary.
The risk, of course, is the riaa. If they found us we would all be killed, or even worse. Not to mention the liability to Axiom.

Just a thought...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 02:02 AM
We actually did this a couple years ago. I don't remember who started it, but the way we handled it was that someone volunteers to put together a cd and then asks for takers. The goal was that each taker would then send the person who made the cd a cd mix in return. It didn't quite work out that way, but it was still fun. I did a mix, and I got mixes from five other people. A lot of the new music I was exposed to I still listen to.

It was well worth it, and I'd do it again.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 02:47 AM
I ran into old messages about this, and it seemed like a fun idea. Most of my favorite music isn't that great for showcasing SQ, but it would still be fun to share.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 08:10 AM
Oddly, I JUST took SonicFox's mix out of my car this weekend while updating - see re-ripping/re-burning sun/heat damaged discs - my MP3 discs in the car.

The Leve11ers disc with the seatbelt-shaped scorch mark on it was a personal favourite.

Bren R.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 02:03 PM
Sounds like a fun idea. As somebody who stopped downloading illegally a few years ago, not that I really did a lot, I think that I could still participate, if all choose something obscure or unique that others might not normally be exposed to and included only one song each for every artist. In this way, it becomes more of a promotional demo that would encourage CD/DVD sales rather than inhibit.

Of course, one could easily argue against it as well but that's how I would approach it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 02:10 PM
Yeah, I think I have one from Bran and BigWill
Posted By: mapatton Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 03:10 PM
It would be a neat idea. I'd be game.
Posted By: ClayB Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/12/08 03:37 PM
As someone that clearly misses the 'Summer of Love' of free music (Napster, 1999), I'd be in!
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/13/08 12:15 AM
if all choose something obscure or unique that others might not normally be exposed to and included only one song each for every artist. In this way, it becomes more of a promotional demo that would encourage CD/DVD sales rather than inhibit. [/quote]

That was my line of thinking.

So what if each person puts say 5 decent mp3's from different artists and sends it down the road? I'll start it off.
Posted By: mapatton Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/18/08 08:43 PM
Rather than mp3, how about wav or cda. At least flac if we go compressed.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/19/08 12:26 PM
FYI Flac is lossless, equal in sound quality to the actual CD or a WAV file. Does that still classify it as compressed? I know that the file size is a little smaller than a wav so I guess it does get compressed some?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/19/08 04:01 PM
mdrew sent me a variety of music, about 5 discs, all sibilant and in pink jewel cases no less!
Posted By: mapatton Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/21/08 04:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
FYI Flac is lossless, equal in sound quality to the actual CD or a WAV file. Does that still classify it as compressed? I know that the file size is a little smaller than a wav so I guess it does get compressed some?

FLAC is a lossleess compression. I used it for my music server.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 04:33 AM
*bump*

Has this kinda died out? Or is there still interest?

Seeing as how I was a bit bored this evening, I've been staring at my CD collection trying to compile a list of artists I like that may not be well-known. Now that I've got the artists, it's gonna be a process of whittling down which song to present.

I like discovering new music and think this would be a great opportunity to do so.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 04:57 AM
There's still interest here. We need someone to decide exactly how it's going to be done, and I'll be glad to share.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 05:05 AM
I think last time this was done someone made a disc and whoever wanted a copy sent a pm. If you have a disc to send in return, bonus. If not, no biggie.

Good, this'll give me something to work on this week.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 05:24 AM
Okay, then, I'll work on a disc, too.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 05:31 AM
Please leave off all the polka music I know you're so fond of.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 05:38 AM
I have that They Might Be Giants polka song, "The Famous Polka," but that might be all. That song is pretty good, though. \:D
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 12:29 PM
Sean, I need your address. I just made a CD of every Weird Al polka medley. It covers 20+ years of hits, just sped up and polkafied!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 01:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Sean, I need your address. I just made a CD of every Weird Al polka medley. It covers 20+ years of hits, just sped up and polkafied!

I've already got that on laserdisc.

I wish I had a laserdisc player. *sigh*
Posted By: Amie Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 04:56 PM
I had no idea 'Weird' Al was so into polka because his dad was a polka king. That is a lovely tribute to father and son you've arranged, medic8r.

I wonder if Pop Up Video ever did a Weird Al song? That would be something to watch.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 05:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Amie
I had no idea 'Weird' Al was so into polka because his dad was a polka king.

That was Frankie Yankovic, right? I'll check online.

Huh, apparently they are no relation, but in the process of choosing to play the accordion, Weird Al jokes that his parents must have figured that there should be another accordion-playing Yankovic.

Originally Posted By: Amie, Amazonian Superhero
I wonder if Pop Up Video ever did a Weird Al song?

I'm thinking so, but can't prove it. That was a good show - haven't seen it in forever!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 05:34 PM
The Behind the Music on Weird Al was pretty good, too.

Me, I love the video for "White and Nerdy"
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 06:30 PM
My two favorite songs now are "All About the Pentiums" and "The Saga Begins".
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 07:36 PM
So is this a go? So what is the process? Who do we send the CDs to?

I'd volunteer to collect and burn the master copies unless somebody has already stepped up to the plate. If I do it though, I will limit the final burn to 1 track per artist but as many artists as you want to submit. This way I can keep calling it a 'sampler designed to expand horizons to local genres and actually improve CD sales' when the industry goons come to my door. I know, technically, it doesn't make a bit of difference but it's a story I can give to the press.

Would most people know how to use an ftp site if it was set up? Some may prefer to save a buck and do an electronic transfer rather than mailing an actual disk? I could pm the directions and passwords to those whom request it. When a deadline is reached, a disk image could be placed back on the ftp site and disks could be mailed to those who prefer that route.
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:23 PM
Hi Murph,

FTP is an awesome idea. I can sign up to copy few copies after FTPing, in return for some more songs :-)

--Avi
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:27 PM
Could be a tad dangerous, lawsuit wise. CD swapping is much safer.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:34 PM
I'm FTP ignorant, to boot.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:36 PM
If I had been nicer to Ken over the years, then maybe he would've stepped up and said, "Hey, buddy, no prob - I'll make you a copy!"

But now, I don't see that happ'nin'.

:p
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:39 PM
I actually haven't decided whether to participate in this round or not; I'm not sure I have time to rerip and sort the music.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:39 PM
JP will be cutting a few LPs on his lathe. Old skool.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 08:42 PM
John, of course, will be sending out a few of his reel-to-reel tapes.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:08 PM
I'll be sending out coffee cans and string. Remember to pull it taut.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:09 PM
I've heard that you can improve the sound on those by using pure silk strings and only premium coffee cans. Not that Yuban crap.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:15 PM
I'll be using cryogenically frozen Kona coffee cans and triple braided silk strings.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:26 PM
The string works better if it's wet. Use only coffee made from the cans you're using. Mixing brands is a big no-no.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:27 PM
What about canned pears and Pear cables?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:29 PM
Too tinny.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/27/08 09:34 PM
In syrup or juice?
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 12:26 AM
Sorry to crap out on this- someone mentioned flac and I cowered in fear. The ftp idea makes lots of sense, but I agree the risk is higher. My original thought was the first person put 5 or so eac/lame/vbr mp3's (because I know how to do that) on a disc and send it to someone who could then play it in their dvd player if so desired. That person adds 5 or so more and sends it to someone else... who saves what's on there and adds more. Depending on participation the disc could grow from a cd to a dvd. The trouble with that is the early participants don't get to sample much.I like the idea of someone compilling a master disc, if someone is willing to do that. If flac or something else is preferable I'm willing to learn something new. I guess.
Coming up with only 5 songs is harder than it sounds.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 02:32 AM
What we did last time was to simply burn normal audio CDs. I think that has the highest chance of success in people being able to play it on their systems. I reripped the songs I wanted as normal CD audio tracks and then burned them to CDR. No problem.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 05:03 AM
I'm going to agree with audio CDs.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 05:18 AM
I'll third that notion.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 07:12 AM
I'm almost done with my CD, but there are still 1 or 2 tracks that I'm debating on. One of them I'll definitely change, but I don't know what with yet. I can't promise that all of the artists will be obscure, but I'm at least going for obscure tracks.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 12:34 PM
Regular, old-fashioned, hold-em-in-you-hand CDs are definitely the way to go. I still use the ones I received as road trip material. \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 01:18 PM
Dang, I've got to step it up. I'm still in the process of track selection. . .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 05/28/08 03:49 PM
I need to dig out all of the CDs I got! I can't believe I forgot about those.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 01:48 AM
All right, I think mine's ready. I kept changing tracks. I can never seem to make the perfect CD. I don't want to keep trying to change it, though, so I guess PM me with your address if you want it? Is that how we're doing it? And I'm ready for everyone else's.

Now Claire wants a mix CD from me. It'll probably be pretty close to the one I send you guys.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:26 AM
Oh jeebus X. She's just begging you to stand outside her window at midnight with a boombox, isn't she?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:27 AM
I think I have too many songs--need to whittle them down a bit.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 03:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Oh jeebus X. She's just begging you to stand outside her window at midnight with a boombox, isn't she?

Oh, I don't know about that. She was just making conversation. She just got a new laptop, so she's excited about being able to mess around with her photos again, as well as her music. She started talking about all of the CDs people had made for her, and she asked what kind of music I listen to. A lot of different kinds, I told her, so now I have to make her a CD. The only problem is that I listen to so many more female vocalists than male. People always seem to have a problem with that.

So yeah, guys brace yourselves for a lot of female vocals if you get my sampler.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 05:11 AM
The worst part of making a mix CD is cutting the last song out so it all fits onto one disc. Hellish, I tell you -- especially when you put some thought into how the songs flow together. Gahhh!
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 12:39 PM
So how does this work then? PMs of addresses to whomever you want samplers from?

I started with a ton of Maritime bands of all flavors but couldn't narrow it down as there are so many bands building momentum here now. So I opted instead for a collection of Maritime 'style' music. Everything from Celtic Rock to traditional Celtic, folk, maritime originals, Arcadian and of course some of the best fiddlers in the world today, both traditional and well, the not so traditional. Think you don't like fiddle music? You may not have heard it played like this. If you hear very unusual but hauntingly musical language, that would be Gaelic. Oh yes, I should also warn you there may be the occasional burst of bagpipes, but they are ROCKIN bagpipes.

I think you will find the energy in many of these songs so addictive, you will hunt down the real CDs, thus I can keep to my story of this being an underground promotion of Maritime Music. I tried to keep to versions with above average sound quality, where I could.

If your Canadian, you might have heard some of it as a couple of the artists are semi-mainstream, at least in Eastern Canada, but I felt they best portrayed the trends for our Southern friends who may not be exposed to this kind of music much, if at all.

I could do a 'mainstream' new artist compilation as well from the Maritime s but I'd have to go buy a few CDs. Of course that's not entirely a bad thing either.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 01:59 PM
Sounds good, Murph. As I've mentioned before, my sister played the bagpipes in high school, so I have an affinity for the "honking vacuum." I'll shoot you a PM with my address.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:14 PM
Got a neighbor you love to hate? Blare the honking vacuums and get another neighbor to flank them with Weird Al's polka tunes...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:20 PM
Oompa-oompa-oompa. . .

That's my polka beat.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:28 PM
The guys that did instantrimshot.com should do oompa beats at another site...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:31 PM
I've still got instantrimshot.com up on my work computer. On Friday I kept calling employees into my office and said, "You are very valuable to the company." Ba domp pshht.

I feel more and more like Michael Scott every day.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:32 PM
Awesome. Do you have a Dwight Schrute?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:35 PM
Sadly, no. There is one guy who fancies himself as Jim, but I don't see any connection. Although his personality is on the extreme side.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Sadly, no. There is one guy who fancies himself as Jim, but I don't see any connection. Although his personality is on the extreme side.

Case in point, he's in the bathroom right now grunting. That's through two walls and I can still hear him.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:43 PM
Unless Pam is in there with him, that's gross.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:44 PM
Now, do you have a Kevin? Overweight, slow?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:46 PM
Tell me about. Unfortunately, this just scratches the surface. One time, I picked a ruler up off his desk to use. Later that day I saw him rubbing it between his toes. Athlete's foot.

I wanted to jump in a vat of hand sanitizer after that.

Needless to say, I touch nothing on his desk anymore.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 02:48 PM
Now, do you have a Kevin? Overweight, slow?

No, but we have a guy who is deaf in one ear. His name is Doug. One day, a letter came for him and it was simply adressed to "Dough."

We made a photocopy of it and show it to him all the time.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 03:10 PM
D'Oh?

When I ask my two year old who "that" is, pointing to Homer Simpson, he answers, "That's D'Oh!"

"Yeah, but what's his real name?"
"Sih-son"
"That's right, what's his first name?"
"Homer!"

That's my boy!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 03:12 PM
\:D

"D'Oh" is one of those magical phrases that is applicable just about everywhere.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 03:51 PM
Especially bakeries.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 05:51 PM
ok, guys -- back to the topic at hand.

I finished my mix last night and have burned a some copies in anticipation of the high demand it is likely to garner -- do you think 53 will be enough?

Please send me a PM if you're interested. It may take me a bit to get them out the door. I, too, need to get some mailing supplies.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/02/08 06:24 PM
I'll take 50!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 01:25 PM
Okay, I'm just about done with mine. I burned a copy last night and gave it a listen and I think I'm happy with it. If anyone else is gonna be happy is open for debate. . .

Nevertheless, if you wants a copy, PM me your address and I'll get one to you. You'll be missing out on my weird music if you don't. Plus, you'll get to enjoy songs that cut off on the end because they seamlessly segue into the next song on the original album. Well, not on my CD! I like to build up expectations and then snip them off cleanly!!

And, yes, I still have to buy the shipping crates for these, so hold on.

Operators are standing by. . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 01:57 PM
I called your toll-free number and talked to your operator. She said you were a pretty nice boss except for the sexual harassment.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 02:27 PM
http://instantrimshot.com/
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 07:21 PM
Thank you, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress! Try the prime rib!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 07:34 PM
My attorney has advised me not to comment on the sexual harassment line.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 07:36 PM
There's a sexual harassment line? What's the number? I could use some right about now.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 07:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
There's a sexual harassment line? What's the number? I could use some right about now.

That reminds me--at my old job we sold bait, i.e. worms and frozen fish, and every week the same lady would call and ask if we needed anything. I swear she worked as a phone sex operator in her off time because she had this real breathy sexy voice. Think Marilyn Monroe singing "Happy Birthday" to JFK type of voice. Only she's talking about worms instead.

Very nice. And weird.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 08:36 PM
Did you tell her about your special worm and how he needed some cheering up?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 08:41 PM
Again, my attorney advises me to say, "No comment."
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 08:52 PM
Ha, you're funny.

But looks aren't everything.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 09:16 PM
Yuk yuk.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 09:28 PM
I'd hate to see anyone's wriggler on a hook.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 10:26 PM
I might want to get in on this sampler CD thang, but I'm just in the process of selecting songs.

How nuts is everybody going regarding notes or labeling? I hope "not very".
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/03/08 10:49 PM
Tom, I've thought about that, too. In my head I want to include notes, but I think I'll just include a track list with artist, song, and album.

C'mon, man, everybody's doing it!
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 01:36 AM
You mean you're actually gonna label these discs? I can't even bring myself to label my own cd's. Wasn't too good about labeling tapes back in the day,either. I was kinda hoping the info would make it's way onto the disc with the songs. Which brings me to my question and your laugh for the day- How does one go about burning actual cd type songs onto a cd? If that is in fact what we're doing here. I've only dealt with mp3's, never had a call for doing anything with cd files other that encoding to mp3. Is there an option in eac for this?

I would suggest starting a thread and posting notes, playlists, etc. for the various cd's in that. Good evidence for the lawyers when they send us up the river for all this.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 01:44 AM
I'm not labeling the CD with anything other than a descriptive title (pmbuko's Axiom Mix #2) and a date. I've given the title, artist, album listing to the people who've requested a copy.

The last time we did this a few participants took the time to write up some notes for each track. It was definitely cool to read through those. As for music quality, I actually didn't re-rip anything and I only have purchased digital versions of much of the stuff on the disc I made, so if people have a problem with that, tough udders.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 02:21 AM
No label for the CD, but I'm thinking of typing up a track listing.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 02:34 AM
By label, I meant sharpie.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 02:47 AM
Oh. I think I have the same fancy labeler, too.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 03:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
How nuts is everybody going regarding notes or labeling? I hope "not very".

Well, I'm Lightscribing the discs themselves with as much information as Peter is putting on his, and I'll probably include a sheet with track title and artist info. I'm not sure if I'll include notes on each track or not. It depends on how insightful I feel, or how much I want everyone to yawn.

Also, I'm writing CD-Text info on the discs themselves, so for those with devices that read that information, way to go. I know my ripper is able to extract the CD-Text info, too, though you have to manually select it. Otherwise, it only looks in online databases. I'm not sure how common peeking at CD-Text is in ripping programs, but it's there, for what it's worth.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's compilations.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 12:32 PM
I made sure to enable the CD Text option, as well. I was considering (I lie) making an enhanced CD with a video introduction by yours truly, but that would have been over the top. ;\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 04:06 PM
Sharpie = Good.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 04:36 PM
Please move the sharpie away from your nostrils.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/04/08 04:54 PM
My first burn last night toasted my cd\DVD writer. It's making clickey noises like a cog broke some teeth or something. I'm going to throw the spare in from my old PC and although I say I'm going to take the other apart and see if repair, I probably never will.

I almost wish I didn't have a spare. I want to light scribe disks like CV. Just because it takes me one step closer to my dream of owning my own lightsaber.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 12:37 AM
This evening, I finally sent my mix out to those who requested it -- but only those living below the 49th parallel (Sean, JP, and CV). To my Canadian friends (Graeme and Andrew), you will have to wait a bit longer. I made it to the post office too late and the self-serve machine doesn't handle international addresses. \:\(

If my wife has the time to make it to the post office and wait in line next week, you should have it before too long. I will be traveling on business next week and won't be able to get to it until I return.

For those of you who receive it next week, please let me know your reaction to my track choices.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 12:50 AM
Sounds good, Peter, thanks! Looking forward to hearing it.

Everyone, I should be getting my CDs out on Monday. I think I finally settled on my track selection yesterday--been tinkering with it all week.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 03:14 AM
I didn't make it to the post office this week, but I have them all ready to go, finally. The only thing is that I'm not 100% confident in the media I burned to. Some of the discs I've burned have played fine, but others have had slight hiccups depending on the device I'm playing it back on. Anyway, my fingers are crossed that they'll all work fine.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 03:39 AM
I think I finally settled on my track selection yesterday--been tinkering with it all week.

I was tempted to keep changing things, but I didn't want to be a Sean.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 03:50 AM
Very funny.

Just for that I'm burning you a copy of "Chili Eating Yak Rodeo Festival." It's from the new "Soothing Sounds of Nature" set.

Enjoy.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 03:54 AM
Everyone else is going to feel like they're missing out!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 07:04 PM
I have secretly replaced my Axiom Mix with a booby-trapped, overly compressed Best of Yanni: His Teenage Years CD. It will glue itself to your CD player's spindle.

You've been forewarned.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 07:20 PM
As William Shatner would say:

"Sabotage!"
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 07:26 PM
Oh yeah, here's an explanation.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/08/08 09:04 PM
Is this why you sabataaged my ship?

You learn something new about William Shatner every day few weeks years.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 02:42 AM
So, I know that I can put whatever I want on my mix CD, but I'm curious as to others' criteria for song selection. How much did you weigh these factors:

1. Sounds great over the Axioms, e.g. sound quality
2. "I bet he's never heard this before!", e.g. variety
3. (insert criterion here)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 02:53 AM
1. A little, but not really a factor.
2. I tried to pick lesser known bands, for the most part. At least I hope they are new for the CD recipients.

Are you putting together a CD, JP?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 03:20 AM
I tried to balance it between songs that I really like and that hopefully people haven't heard before. Sound quality wasn't a major concern since most of the stuff I listen to isn't really demo-worthy, though I hope I avoided any real suckiness. I did weigh in the popularity of the artists a little bit, but not a lot as even big names are going to be new to a lot of people. I know in my case I have zero exposure to most famous bands.

I look forward to your CD.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 04:58 AM
I really like every song on my mix. Some will sound better than others on the Axioms, so I recommend falling in love with it in your car so you can then forgive your Axioms for revealing the poor recording quality of some tracks -- I'm thinking of the Tom Petty track in particular.

Somehow, the car is the place I can really fall in love with a disc. And my car has a Bose system. Go figure. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I used to drive to a store and buy a physical CD and then listen to it on the way home in my car. Sentiment is powerful.

I'm so old... ;\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 05:00 AM
Yeah, mine sounded good in my car, too! A Bose system, as well.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 05:04 AM
If you don't think your own mix is awesome, then what do you have in this life?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 05:10 AM
An entire catalog of bad music.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 05:21 AM
There is no bad music. Only inflexible taste.

Damn, does that mean I have to like Rasputina?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 05:26 AM
You better. Charles will be after you, otherwise.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 05:28 AM
Oh, I don't care. I'm giving Claire a mix CD tomorrow, and I'm sure she'll like just about none of it. All I ask is that people have an informed hatred.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/09/08 04:30 PM
I have the two sampler requested so far on my desk at work here, waiting to go to the post office.

To answer Peter's question. I went off in my own direction a little bit. I tried to include songs from artists that people in the US, at least, have probably never heard and that best represent the mix of both the traditional Maritime music I grew up with and what it has been modernized into to successfully become a staple of even the younger crowds. Of the many artists I had to choose from, I tried to choose from CDs that sounded the best, but getting the right mix to cover all the bases came first.

I could have filled multiple CDs but had to keep telling myself, this is a "sampler".
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/10/08 01:07 AM
With the exception of Avi, everyone else's CD went out today! You can wait impatiently next to your mailboxes until they arrive. I know the anticipation is killing you. . .

Avi, I ran out of blank CDs. Give me a couple of days and you'll be good to go, as well.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/10/08 01:17 AM
Also, I included a paper with a song list in each package. Figured that might be helpful.

This is important

I need to give fair warning that one of my songs has some colorful language. It will be fairly obvious if you peruse the song list. Just a warning in case you have kids.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/10/08 03:35 AM
Oh, same here. There are some curse words in a couple songs. It's not a blue ocean, but be warned that there are a couple slipped in there.

Like Sean, I'm including a paper in each one. I still haven't gotten mine out the door, but this week, I swear. I haven't been able to motivate myself to get up early.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/10/08 06:35 AM
Oh, I think at least two of the songs on my mix CD have colorful language -- which reminds me that I need to start filtering those out of my playlists as the kids get older and start listening to lyrics....
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 04:17 AM
Didn't Informed Hatred open for Negative Orange?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 04:20 AM
Yeah, but it was actually just the members of Negative Orange in different outfits.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 04:21 AM
Oh, by the way, the sampler CDs went out today. If even one or two songs hit you guys the right way, I'll be happy.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 05:08 AM
 Quote:
If even one or two songs hit you guys the right way, I'll be happy.

I require every song to be adored. Or else.

Really, I'll be happy if one or two are interesting enough for others.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 05:14 AM
Didn't Informed Hatred open for Negative Orange?

I don't know, but I bet CV has the restraining order to prove it.

(will this ever end?)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 06:33 AM
The USians should be getting my mix CD tomorrow. If you like less than three songs, I'll consider myself a failure and crawl back under the rock I came out from.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 06:38 AM
Fine! I'm upping my expectation to four!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 07:34 PM
We've upped our expectations. Up yours.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/11/08 10:37 PM
How long do I keep it in there?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 03:28 AM
I got your mix today, Peter. I'm listening to it now.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 04:44 AM
Oh crap. I killed CV with a bad mix!
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 11:43 AM
Good News and Bad News. Like our least favorite shipping companies, I have delayed the shipping on the 2 CD requests I have received so far.

The Good news is that it's delayed because I had a really neat idea for a cover for the jewel cases. I choose each of my pieces, not as a personal reflection, but as reflection of music made famous here in the Maritimes by our history of seafaring, hard drinking but hard working immigrants from a wide variety of cultures. The idea for a unique cover struck me Monday but it's been dark and rainy until last night and I needed a nice day for the photo both for ambiance and also so my chess set made from sand would not get ruined.

Yup, I said sand. Remember the 'weight for speaker stand posts' where I said we use sand for everything here, I wasn't kidding.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea or did I have one too many Alexander Keith's.

I'm still not satisfied completely with the shot, but I've never done anything like this before and after about 60 shots from differnt angles, the sun was getting too low and shadows were becoming a challenge.

Mark, You need to come to PEI and do this up right for me. I suspect a nice SLR camera in the hands of someone who knew how to do these things could make this concept shine.

Now I need some more ink for my printer. Ran out trying a bunch of variations last night. Sometimes you just can't tell whats best until you get them on paper.

I'm home sick today so I'm afraid it might be a couple of days.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 02:48 PM
Update: Got Peter (pmbuko) 's CD in the mail yesterday, and my wife said, "What's that?"

When I told her that Peter had made me a mix CD, she said, "Your boyfriend made you a mix tape! HAha!"

I, of course, said "It's nothing like that, we're ... just friends!"

Then we looked at the track listing together. When we saw that song 2 was "Real Good Looking Boy" by the Who, my wife asked, "Want to clarify your last statement?!"
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 03:06 PM
Update: Got Peter (pmbuko) 's CD in the mail yesterday, and my wife said, "What's that?"

When I told her that Peter had made me a mix CD, she said, "Your boyfriend made you a mix tape! HAha!"

I, of course, said "It's nothing like that, we're ... just friends!"

Then we looked at the track listing together. When we saw that song 2 was "Real Good Looking Boy" by the Who, my wife asked, "Want to clarify your last statement?!"

I must have received the CD meant for you. Peter drew hearts all over it with a Sharpie. Hmm. . .
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 03:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Good News and Bad News. Like our least favorite shipping companies, I have delayed the shipping on the 2 CD requests I have received so far.

The Good news is that it's delayed because I had a really neat idea for a cover for the jewel cases. I choose each of my pieces, not as a personal reflection, but as reflection of music made famous here in the Maritimes by our history of seafaring, hard drinking but hard working immigrants from a wide variety of cultures. The idea for a unique cover struck me Monday but it's been dark and rainy until last night and I needed a nice day for the photo both for ambiance and also so my chess set made from sand would not get ruined.

Yup, I said sand. Remember the 'weight for speaker stand posts' where I said we use sand for everything here, I wasn't kidding.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea or did I have one too many Alexander Keith's.

I'm still not satisfied completely with the shot, but I've never done anything like this before and after about 60 shots from differnt angles, the sun was getting too low and shadows were becoming a challenge.

Mark, You need to come to PEI and do this up right for me. I suspect a nice SLR camera in the hands of someone who knew how to do these things could make this concept shine.

Now I need some more ink for my printer. Ran out trying a bunch of variations last night. Sometimes you just can't tell whats best until you get them on paper.

I'm home sick today so I'm afraid it might be a couple of days.

That looks great, Andrew! You're making me feel bad because I didn't do anything extra special with mine. . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 03:34 PM
I must have received the CD meant for you. Peter drew hearts all over it with a Sharpie. Hmm. . .

LOL, that explains why mine has pictures of exploding shamrocks and decapitated leprechauns ...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 03:41 PM
The other half of the leprechauns showed up via UPS. . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 04:22 PM
Funny, I didn't see those in the Hammes catalog I got in the mail last week.

Sean, your birth date plus the fact that I did my undergrad at Notre Dame probably explains why we have gelled so well as a comedy team and forum wrecking crew (however one wants to take that).

We need to start work on some screenplays.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 04:47 PM

We need to start work on some screenplays.

Only if I get to be on top!

Billing, that is. Top billing. . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 05:16 PM
Well, according to Peter's assessment of me one week ago, that'll be fine.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 09:05 PM
Avi, JP, and Scott--I just finished sealing up your envelopes. After work I will take them over to the Post Office and send them away.

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of last time: I got into the main office, took a number (77), sat down, and looked up at the sign that said "Now Serving: 34"

\:\(
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 09:36 PM
Holy crap, that must be either the slowest or most overworked post office ever. I never wait more than two minutes at any of my local ones. I've never heard of such a thing at the USPS - only the DMV. YMMV, AFAIK. LOL. PGHMICOTIA!*

*Please God help me, I can only talk in acronyms!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/12/08 09:40 PM
The lady at the counter said two people called in sick. No replacements.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 01:12 AM
Andrew- that's inspired, man. I'm starting to think we need a system to keep track of who has a sampler out.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 04:05 AM
Sean's sampler came today. I'm not giving you fiction.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 04:09 AM
\:\)

If you don't say anything nice, my CD will blow up.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 04:10 AM
Hey, I'm only on track 2. I'm sure I'll have something nice to say. Just give me time!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 04:11 AM
Hey, I'm now up to my birth year in posts. Happy Post Count Day to me.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 05:32 AM
Sean, way to go on your mix. It's a great disc. I'm going to have to try full albums by several of the artists. On the first listen, I'm really liking:

"+81" by Deerhoof
"A Cloak of Elvenkind" by Marcy Playground
"Broken Household Appliance National Forest" by Grandaddy
"What To Do" by Ok Go
"Bad Education" by Tilly and the Wall
"Gettysburg" by Ratatat

And a lot of the others I'm sure will grow on me. I didn't dislike any of them. It's obvious you listen to a lot of music, and I appreciated the thoughtful notes on every track. I only included notes on some of the ones on my mix, as I just don't have wide enough knowledge to always have something to say.

As I listen to everyone's mixes more and decide which tracks I like the best, I'll be coming back to ask for recommendations on full albums.

Thanks so much for sharing. Hopefully what I've offered is as much of an ear-opener as what you guys have compiled. Very cool stuff!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 05:56 AM
I'm really glad you liked it, Charles! Thanks for the kind words, too.

It was extremely difficult to select tracks to put on the disc. I think the first night I did it, I was in a certain mood and all the songs kinda sounded the same. As I tooled with it for a week it got rounded out a bit more. I think one of my main goals was to select lesser known stuff. So, I hope there was lots of new material for you, and everyone else.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 06:02 AM
It was all new to me except for the New Pornographers track. I've heard of several of the artists, but I'd never gotten around to listening to anything by them. Then there were plenty that I hadn't even heard of, so thanks for the exposure!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 02:57 PM
Yeah, I knew you had that one--the New Pornographers, that is. Glad everything else was new.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 04:50 PM
Peter, good job so far. I'm on track 8 and am digging your CD.

Don't tell Juliana Hatfield or Danica Patrick, but I am now officially in love with Jenny Lewis. I foresee buying Rilo Kiley CDs from Amazon.com very soon.

Your selections were from their first two albums - have you heard the later ones? Also good?

You've set the bar high for me. Let's see if my Fosbury flop will suffice.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 07:01 PM
You guys are having so much fun with this that I want to join in.

I've compiled a disk. It won't be nearly as creative as those mentioned so far, but might make a nice coaster after you listen to it once.

I'm going to fire off PM's to you "on-time" people.

Send PM's. I might not get this thing mailed until June 23, though. Work and all that.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 07:15 PM
Okay, I re-read the thread and I think those that have committed to providing CD's are as follows:

CV
Murph
pmbuko
St_PatGuy
tomtuttle

If I missed somebody, PLEASE speak up. Thank you!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 07:17 PM
Tom, since your late, I have to charge you a $20 processing fee.

I'm kidding, of course.

It's only $5.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 07:35 PM
Tom, I'm speaking up!!!

For a change.

Change we can believe in.

Change we can count on.

I have a playlist roughed out and should finish up the CDs this weekend.

I'm sending them to

CV
St_PatGuy
pmbuko
tomtuttle (whether you want one or not)

I imagine I'll send one to Murph if he wants it, but he hasn't read my PM yet.

Any other takers, send me a PM!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/13/08 07:45 PM
I was kind of wondering about you, JP.

I mean on this issue, not just the typical WTFWJPT (What The F Was JP Thinking?)

Oh yeah, big time Parental Advisory on my disk. It's mostly upbeat tunes, and I've pretty much decided I'm going to do another one sometime later that has a different feel to it. I also have good prospects for a Christmas disk.

Your credit card will be automatically billed each month.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 01:04 AM
Okay, I re-read the thread and I think those that have committed to providing CD's are as follows:

CV
Murph
pmbuko
St_PatGuy
tomtuttle

If I missed somebody, PLEASE speak up. Thank you!

I'm working on one. Actually more sleeping on one at this point as I've been running through prospective tracks in bed at night with the ipod. I fear my playlist may lack the ecclectic cred of some others but I do have a few oddballs.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 05:37 AM
Avi, JP, and Scott--I just finished sealing up your envelopes. After work I will take them over to the Post Office and send them away.

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of last time: I got into the main office, took a number (77), sat down, and looked up at the sign that said "Now Serving: 34"

Okay, you guys. I didn't make it to the Post Office on Thursday--I got stuck late at work. And, I got stuck late today, as well.

Tomorrow morning it'll happen, I promise.

Tom, yours is going out tomorrow, too!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 06:28 AM
Hey, Sean, to start off I think I want to buy albums by Deerhoof, Tilly and the Wall, and Ratatat. Do you recommend the discs that the songs you chose came on?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 06:48 AM
I'll say yes, only because those are the sole albums I have from them.

The good thing is that they are all good albums. Not like one good song and a bunch of crappy other ones. Based on your CD, I'd say you'd really enjoy all those artists.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 06:52 AM
Thanks! I'll Amazon myself shortly.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 08:18 AM
I don't think I've ever used that technique before.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 08:43 AM
You can only do it a maximum of two times, though I only need to do it once since I'm not ambidextrous.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 06:38 PM

Okay, you guys. I didn't make it to the Post Office on Thursday--I got stuck late at work. And, I got stuck late today, as well.

Tomorrow morning it'll happen, I promise.

Tom, yours is going out tomorrow, too!

Four more CDs were successfully sent out this morning. I hope you guys enjoy them!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/14/08 11:49 PM
Disks mailed today to pmbuko, CV, MarkSJohnson, samandnoah, duckman, kcarlile and St_PatGuy.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 12:22 AM
Thanks, Tom! I actually got yours out today, too. I found stamps lying around, so I just put those on instead of going to the post office.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 03:10 AM
If anyone wants my CD from the last round, PM me. I'm not sure who got it, but I don't have the energy to deal with making a new one right now.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 03:37 AM
My mix CD is just going to be 78 minutes of static occasionally interrupted by me saying, "Wait, don't stop this, I'll get the hang of it in a minute!"
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 03:38 AM
So you copied my life's soundtrack?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 05:07 AM
Your nothing if not self-deprecating.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 05:41 AM
Well, I don't want a big head, and it's good voodoo practice to keep it at a tiny size. Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking: "Dude, your voodoo is getting on other things. Maybe wash your hands BEFORE going to the bathroom. Hygiene means bye, jinx." You're very clever, but I'll think of a comeback one of these days, so remember this conversation.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 05:43 AM
Charles, I'm going to include some meds with my mix CD. Take everything exactly as directed!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 05:45 AM
I love candy with instructions!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 05:57 AM
ROTFLMAO. Charles doesn't need the meds, JP. He's hilarious without them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 04:13 PM
My mix is 18 copies of Revolution 9.

Numba 9...........................................................
.........................................Numba 9..................
.................Numba 9..........................................
...........................................................Numba 9
Posted By: fredk Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/15/08 06:46 PM
OK, my playlist is ready... except, I didn't want to be constrained by a disc so I put it on my new website: cbc.ca, which stand for, um... Can't Be Contained (on a single disc)

here ya go. Lots of Canadian talent of all genres. As you can see I have a preference for live performances. ;\)

P.S. Can I play too now??
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/16/08 01:14 AM
Disks mailed today to ..... MarkSJohnson.....

Wow.... thanks Tom!

I saw this thread but didn't want to get involved since I still haven't made / sent my mix from last time around.... (hangs head shamefully)...
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/16/08 01:16 AM
It's like a second chance, Mark!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/16/08 04:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Disks mailed today to ..... MarkSJohnson.....

Wow.... thanks Tom!

I saw this thread but didn't want to get involved since I still haven't made / sent my mix from last time around.... (hangs head shamefully)...

I never thought you had to make a disc in order to get one. Although, you should feel guilty about the whole thing if you don't. . . ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 02:57 AM
Hey Guys, I'm back.
Been down with the cold/flu thing since Thursday. I might have made a few posts, can't remember. It's all been a cold medicine induced dream for the last few days.

Sean, your CD was in my mailbox tonight. I only played the first 10 songs before my wife went to bed so I'm saving the rest for tomorrow when the volume can do it justice. I could use earphones but this is an Axiom event after all.

Lovin it! I'm really enjoying your choices so far. I expect Amazon will do well from this little project. I might have to listen to Deerhoof a few more times to grow into it but for me, trying new music is like trying new food. If you don't experiment, you will never know what you are missing.

I have 4 CDs ready to go and will pick up another reel of blanks tomorrow. Due to being down and out, I couldn't bring myself to go deal with the idiots at Futureshop to get more toner so I'm sending out the first 4 CDs without the cover and song notes. I'll follow up with another mail out afterwards rather than delay any longer.

If you want to print your own in the mean time, or just want to browse through my track list and song notes, then here is a link to the MS Word doc I used to create the booklet.

If you just want to read about the songs, download this one.
Pieces of the Maritimes, Song List

If you actually want to print it off in booklet style for the jewel case, download this doc and print the first two pages, flip and reinsert the paper back into the printer and print the last two pages.
Pieces -- Booklet Form

Hope you like it. I started with more obscure pics but then decided that if I really wanted to show traditional and modern Maritime music by more modern artists, that it was better to just bite the bullet and use what best portrays the genre and risk people saying, "Ya I already heard of them." Hopefully there is at least something new for everyone but in any case, its a good mix of music that is just simply fun.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 03:00 AM
I still haven't played either of the two discs I've received on my M22s yet. Just haven't had the time. I did put Sean's disc in my car's player, though, and listed during my (crazy short 8-mile) commute today. That Wainwright chick sure has a tongue on her. ;\)

(That's what he said.)
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 03:00 AM
Oh ya, and there may or may not be an easter egg if you listen through the ocean waves filler at the end of the last song.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 03:31 AM
Hey, Tom, I got your mix CD. Thanks! I'll listen to it soon.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 04:10 AM
Glad you're enjoying it so far, Andrew!

Don't worry about not liking some of the songs. I realize Deerhoof may not be for everyone, but it certainly is different. Besides, I think the new experiences are kinda what this CD swap is all about. That's why I'm looking forward to yours.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 04:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Hey, Tom, I got your mix CD. Thanks! I'll listen to it soon.

West Coast people unite!

Tom, I got your CD, too. Almost done with it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 04:15 AM
The great thing about listening to mix CDs put together by people you know (at least on the internet), is that my mind is much more receptive to music that I would not normally bother trying to enjoy. (That comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular, by the way....). Just knowing that someone I know liked it enough to share means I give everything a few changes before giving up on it.

Of course, then there's JP who will likely throw some joke tracks in that I'll end up liking and then he'll point and laugh at me. \:\(

(And then there were 9.)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 04:26 AM
The great thing about listening to mix CDs put together by people you know (at least on the internet), is that my mind is much more receptive to music that I would not normally bother trying to enjoy. (That comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular, by the way....). Just knowing that someone I know liked it enough to share means I give everything a few changes before giving up on it.

Very true, Peter. Sometimes the music I like the most is the stuff that doesn't grab me right away and I have to devote some time to it.
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 05:33 AM
Thnx Sean..

Just opened up you CD. Time to listen on the headphones though. Baby is sleeping \:\)

Will listen in tomorrow.

Regs,
Avi
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 12:28 PM
The first five people who PMed have their CDs in the mail as of this morning. Couple more to go.

I couldn't wait and brought Sean's to work today to listen to the rest between meetings. Since Pandora got arrested at the US border, this is really rekindling my music exploration cravings.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 12:46 PM
Glad you're enjoying it so far, Andrew!

Don't worry about not liking some of the songs. I realize Deerhoof may not be for everyone, but it certainly is different. Besides, I think the new experiences are kinda what this CD swap is all about. That's why I'm looking forward to yours.

Actually, I didn't say I didn't like it. I truly enjoyed it as a new experience. It might even be one of the ones I buy the CD of, just so I can experiment with more of the genre. Call me 'pleasantly undecided' for now.

Andrew
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 01:23 PM
All this talk of making mixes for eachother, it feels like High School all over again. \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 02:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
All this talk of making mixes for eachother, it feels like High School all over again. \:\)

*cough* jealous *cough* ;\)
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/17/08 03:20 PM

*cough* jealous *cough* ;\)

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;\) \:D
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/22/08 05:14 AM
Will someone please tell me how on god's green earth to rip and burn a bloody mix cd? This has now officially pissed me off.

Who's idea was this anyway? ;\)
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/22/08 05:21 AM
What OS are you on, and what software are you trying to use?
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/22/08 05:52 AM
xp home. I've always used eac and lame for mp3s, but that's it. So, I have eac and whatever is in windows.
For some reason I always thought wav. was what was on cds, it's not. \:\(
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/22/08 06:11 AM
Well, ideally whatever software you're trying to use to burn your CD would take care of converting your sound files appropriately into an audio CD. Windows Media Player's Burn tab should let you pick and choose your MP3s. You just drag the files you want, and you can see the song list and how much time it takes up. They're just normal MP3s?
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/22/08 06:46 PM
Try using CDex. Free and good to convert and burn. It can do MP3 - Wav - CDA and viceversa. Can also get song and album information from CDDB. It gets useful when ripping songs to machine. Won't overwrite the other album with Unknow Album - Unknow Artist - Track1

Good site for all the free tools and info

http://www.dvdrhelp.com

Regs,
Avi
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/22/08 11:47 PM
I honestly dont know what software Im burning with, always just dragged the files to the burner in "my computer" and hoped for the best. Other than a few backups the only thing I've ever burned were mp3 cds for the car, never any actual cd cds.
So HTF do you all do this?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 02:40 AM
Yeah, for audio CDs, you can't just drag the music files over and burn the disc. That creates a data CD, complete with its own file system. Audio players don't understand file systems so you have to specifically burn an audio CD. Windows Media Player can do it and it's free and already on your computer.

Many people in the Windows world seem to hate it, but iTunes is also free and is very easy to use for making audio discs. Like As in Windows Media Player, you can even rip discs in lossless format.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 03:41 AM
When I attempted this yesterday I ripped the songs to wav and had them in a nice tidy folder. I first burned a data cd and figured out that wasn't gonna work. I then went back and gave wmp a chance at an audio cd, I forget exactly what it's excuse was but it didn't like my wavs. I tried ripping with wmp today but it wanted to rip in wma,mp3,or wav, which seemed pointless.
Sorry to be so dense about this, it seems everything i read on the web specificaly avoids mentioning the only thing I want to know- what format do i need to rip to, to burn a plain ol' cd, and what does this. Been beating my head against a similar wall on the htpc front also but I'll save that for later. ;\)
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 04:17 AM
Yeah, I wonder what's wrong with your WAVs. Anyway, ripping to any of the formats that WMP wants to is fine. Keep it lossless if you care about the quality. Most all of my music is lossless WMA, and Windows Media Player burns them just fine to disc.
Posted By: Karlman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 04:53 AM
I have WMP 11 on Vista Home Premium..

I select Audio CD under the Burn menu, drag some files, and it converts them to .wav files on the CD, which are the regular Audio CD format.

I know my car stereo is a little fussy with CD-R's (had 1 or two brands that often didn't work), and my old DVD player wouldn't read any CD-R's or CD-RW's.. but your PC should still be able to read them for sure after you burn it.

gene
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 12:13 PM
I received Peter's CD on Friday. Very Nice. I used it, among other genres, for background music during a lobster party for my family Friday. Only 1 more week left in the season for the North shore. At $6.40 to $7.60 on the high end for precooked, the stuff is as cheap as chicken this year.

I have to admit I did feel compelled to turn it down this morning in the Jeep though. After I dropped my wife off at work I cranked the volume just a bit as "The Who" came up. I then saw a tall & lanky, long, grey haired man approaching on the sidewalk as I was about to pull out. I certainly had no fears about him being bothered by loud (actually not that loud) music but seeing as how it was "Terry Hatti" of "The Guess Who" fame, I somehow felt like I was listening to the wrong "Whos".

Funny how the brain works. As soon as I my hand hit the volume knob, I realized how silly that was and left it as is. He marched on by with his 'now trademark around the city,' long strides and never did seem to take notice.

In case you are wondering, Terry has been living here for the last two summers doing a very successful show at The Confederation Center of the Arts called "British Invasion". A music tribute to British bands from the 60s on up. This year it's different actually, it's "America Strikes Back." Maybe next year will be "Canada Sneaks Some In."
heh heh.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 12:48 PM
They have expensive chicken on PEI, apparently. ;\)

Also, you probably didn't want Terry to think you were coming on to him. I know I'd think twice if I were walking down the sidewalk and I heard someone blare "Real Good Looking Boy" out their window. ;\) ;\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 01:28 PM
I must apologize to the three people who are still awaiting their copies of my mix. I am burning the discs now and will attempt to hit the post office this week.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 03:00 PM
I must apologize to the three people who are still awaiting their copies of my mix. I am burning the discs now and will attempt to hit the post office this week.

Probably too busy with all them boxes! \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/23/08 03:15 PM
I haven't even gotten to putting the QS8s up.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/25/08 08:01 AM
I convinced my online friend, Cari, to make a mix CD that I can share with you guys. As soon as I get it from her, I'll offer it up. She listens to a lot more than I do, so I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/26/08 04:39 AM
I got Andrew's mix CD today. I'm listening to it right now and enjoying it a lot. It's a genre I was entirely ignorant of, but I have to say this sampler has caught my interest. Very fun. Thanks, Andrew!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/26/08 01:41 PM
I got mine, too. I have a couple Great Big Sea discs, so I was glad to see Andrew eased me in to Maritime music with them. \:\)

I haven't given it a good listen yet, but I like what I hear. I really enjoy Celtic music. It kinda gives me culture envy...
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/28/08 03:06 AM
The duckdisc is now ready for distribution! Bouyed by responses to my plea for help, I pressed on and completed to herculean 5 min. task of burning a cd in windows in only a few days. For those wondering- windows would not burn the tracks until it knew their length, which required playing them. D'oh.
So there you go. Anyone wanting a copy just PM me and i'll send it. Tom's and Sean's should go out tomarrow.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/28/08 03:48 AM
There's a whole Mac world waiting for you out there.... \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/28/08 04:35 AM
Mac makes 'putering easy.

At least for me it does.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/28/08 04:37 AM
My dad has as many gripes with his Mac as he did with his PC, but it's probably just him.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/28/08 04:39 AM
"a (fozie) bear in his natural habitat- a studebaker!"
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 06/28/08 04:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: duckman
"a (fozie) bear in his natural habitat- a studebaker!"

Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/01/08 04:36 AM
Hey, I got duckman's duckdisc. I'm listening now.
Posted By: onn Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/01/08 11:11 AM

How many calls of the duck can you possibly have on one disk?
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/02/08 03:24 AM
quaaaack,quaaack,quaack,quack.
 Originally Posted By: onn

How many calls of the duck can you possibly have on one disk?

Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/02/08 05:14 AM
Okay, I've listened a couple of times. Again, there's a little shock listening to someone else's taste in music. The ones I liked most after just this little bit were tracks 3, 4, 5, 10, 12 (how could you not like it? ha ha), and 15 was the only song I knew out of them. I could never REALLY get into Morcheeba, but they do have a number of songs I like, and I always liked that one. You'll laugh, but I always liked "Women Lose Weight" featuring Slick Rick. Ha ha. Anyway, you should PM or email me the tracklisting so I can know who I'm listening to. Thanks for sharing, Scott!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/02/08 05:15 AM
Scott, I got your disc a couple days ago, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Charles is onto something--do you have a track listing?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/02/08 05:16 AM
And, Murph, I got your disc, too, but I haven't had a chance for a good listen. I had it on over the weekend but I was moving around doing stuff.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/02/08 02:03 PM
Here's duckman's playlist. I couldn't find the last track title, though.

- - - - Title -- Artist -- Album - - - -
  1. Attention Please -- Whitecross -- At Their Best
  2. Tonite -- Shooting Star -- Shooting Star
  3. Watermelon -- Michael Gulezian -- Concert at St. Olaf College
  4. All To Myself -- The Philosopher Kings -- The Philosopher Kings
  5. Flicker Dance -- Julie Waters -- Paths of Flight
  6. The Stars Above -- SIANspheric -- Somnium
  7. Hold On To Love -- Sierra -- Devotion
  8. Gotta Gotta -- 3rd Force -- Driving Force
  9. Painted A Rainbow -- Cindy Morgan -- Under The Waterfall
  10. Klimbim -- Don Ross -- Passion Session
  11. Angel Tears -- Craig Chaquico -- Acoustic Highway
  12. Linus and Lucy -- David Benoit -- Happy Anniversary, Charlie Brown!
  13. Expression -- Joyce Cooling -- This Girl's Got to Play
  14. Right Now -- Mark Weigel -- Green Acres
  15. Trigger Hippie -- Morcheeba -- Who Can You Trust
  16. ? -- Pat Kelly with Mark Holzinger -- Pat Kelly with Mark Holzinger

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/02/08 02:37 PM
Cool, thanks Peter!

Wow, I don't think I've heard of many of them bands. This should be good!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/03/08 03:47 AM
Yeah, thanks, Peter.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/03/08 04:31 AM
Thanks for posting that, Peter. I'm printer challenged.
Some notes on the tracks...
01- whitecross- Some of the finest 80's hair rock IMHO. being a CCM band, I figured they would be unknown to most.

02- Shooting star- This is one of the best complete rock and roll albums no one's heard. This band regularly played a bar 10 min. from my house when I was 15 or so, never occured to me to try to slip in. They're still playing nearly 30 yrs later.

03- Michael Gulezian- I discovered this guy on a Pandora channel I created by accident.

04- The Philosopher kings- This song was featured in the background on a episode of La Femme Nikkita. I liked it so well I tracked down an internet site which lists every song featured in every episode.

05- Julie Waters- I discovered her on Pandora. She also does a nice version of Minuet.

06- siansperic- another one from La Femme Nikkita. Cool cover art too.

07- Sierra- This cd just sparkles- in content and sound quality.

08- 3rd force- These guys were recomended by amazon after I bought cds by craig chaquico, see # 11.

09- cindy Morgan- another ccm artist, with a voice.

10- Don Ross- I discovered this guy on the same pandora channel as #3 above. The man's skills are amazing.

11- Craig Chaquico- This song is the theme of local PBS show sunflower journeys It has become the gold standard for SQ in my cd collection. Craig was a member of Starship back in the day.

12- Linus and lucy- As a kid this song was half the reason I watched the Charlie brown christmas special every year.

13- Joyce cooling- Another Pandora discovery. I'd love to see her live.

14- Mark weigel- The cd is titled "green acres", I found it on amazon while searching for green acres the tv show. Mark and his wife Dylan are members of Chowder, which almost made it onto the disc.

15- Morcheeba- another find from La Femme Nikkita.

16 Pat kelly with Mark holzinger, the final word- a find from my Pandora accoustic channel. The cd gets a little monotonous, but the sound in unique.

geez I'm tired-Now I know why I put off doing this.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/03/08 04:39 AM
If you like track 3, I highly recommend picking up some Leo Kottke. Watermelon is a cover of a Leo Kottke song (unless Leo covered it himself), and Leo plays it much better.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/03/08 04:58 AM
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/03/08 08:32 AM
Thanks for the notes, and thanks again for sharing. I'm still hoping some others offer up some discs.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/13/08 07:05 AM
Okay, so my online friend, Cari, finally sent me her mix CD. There was a bit of drama involved, as in the person she's living with who is paying for her tuition didn't like her spending money to send a CD to someone she talks to online. Anyway, I finally have the disc, only to find out that Cari somehow forgot to burn anything to the disc. Ha ha. So she's sending me the tracks right now, and then I'll be able to share the mix with you guys. She shares a bit of music with me, but I recognize very few of the artists represented on this mix. Who wants to try it out? PM me if you want a copy.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/13/08 09:53 AM
All right, I just listened, and I can vouch for Cari's mix. It's great. \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/14/08 01:41 AM
Charles, I strongly suspect that what happened was that when she wasn't looking, Cari's boyfriend switched a blank disc for the one that she'd burned for you. It's likely that he's been telling her that you're probably some old pervert who's planning to eventually set up a meeting with her and do all sorts of lewd and indecent things. If she enthusiastically responded "Sounds like fun!", that might have irritated him even a bit more.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/14/08 01:59 AM
\:D Well, she doesn't have a boyfriend (or so she says), and I already did meet her in March, though I forgot to be indecent. She's the one I went to meet in Sean's neck of the woods. She gives me most of my music recommendations, though with this mix it's obvious she's been holding out on me. *shakes fist... lewdly*
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/14/08 10:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
It's likely that he's been telling her that you're probably some old pervert who's planning to eventually set up a meeting with her and do all sorts of lewd and indecent things.

Wait, let me fill my coffee.

OK.

Go Ooonnnnnn.......
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/14/08 12:25 PM
Wait, now CV and Sean are meeting up with women in the woods?

Let me go get some popcorn.

OK.

Roll film!
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/15/08 06:30 PM
Got my TuttleTunes CD yesterday. I am looking forward to taking time to listen to it tonight but if the weather is nice, I have to finish the gel coat repair work I started on my kayak.

I think I need a set of those Axiom Garage speakers. They would go awesome with my Jeep, diamond plated metal, light switch covers.

If you are wondering why I am worried about rain while working in my garage, it's due to the dust from sanding the gel coat. I need all doors wide open to survive.
Posted By: ihifi Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/22/08 05:17 PM
I have been reading this forum with great excitement but have not until now mustered the courage to ask if anyone would be willing to send a CD my way. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer in return. In our home theater, we watch a movie once a week or less on average and hardly listen to any music save for the several old CDs I keep spinning. I would love to hear some of the music you have been sharing, and you can safely assume that I have not heard majority of the songs. I can reimburse for the cost of the CD and shipping, but forum rules may limit me to "paying back" by sending a blank disc back. (Not a fair trade by any means, but I can always send back two blank discs for every full one :)). Thanks.

John
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/22/08 06:44 PM
Actually, I don't think you can/should reimburse anybody for costs. We're just happy to share. PM me with your address and I'll subject you to Tuttletunes.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/22/08 07:44 PM
Sorry guys, I still haven't sent the few I've got out...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 01:06 AM
Sorry guys, I still haven't sent the few I've got out...

*grumble grumble*
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 01:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: ihifi
I have been reading this forum with great excitement but have not until now mustered the courage to ask if anyone would be willing to send a CD my way. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer in return. In our home theater, we watch a movie once a week or less on average and hardly listen to any music save for the several old CDs I keep spinning. I would love to hear some of the music you have been sharing, and you can safely assume that I have not heard majority of the songs. I can reimburse for the cost of the CD and shipping, but forum rules may limit me to "paying back" by sending a blank disc back. (Not a fair trade by any means, but I can always send back two blank discs for every full one :)). Thanks.

John

Don't be shy, John. Just blurt stuff out like the rest of us! \:D

If you're feeling really adventurous, PM me your address and I'll send you my mix.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 01:21 AM
You're welcome to my lame-ass attempt. Just pm your address. Don't worry about postage, we all saved so much buying axioms we can absorb it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 01:41 AM
That reminds me, Scott, I still owe you a review of your CD! I'll work on it this week.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 02:52 AM
CV, just wanted to let you know that your mix was a hit at Taco Tuesday, the biweekly dinner party at medic8r manor. My wife wants me to burn her a copy that she can keep in her car.

It was really cool to be introduced to new music in this way, stuff that I would have never found on my own. I liked almost all of the tracks myself. I found them to be a rich blend of folk/pop/electronic goodness. In other words, "Nom nom nom nom!!!"

Your mix is so good that I wish I had started playing it earlier. It sat neglected at my office for a while. Likewise, Sean and Murph and Tom, your CDs are on deck.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 03:28 AM
Ok, ok. I don't want to look like a cheap bastard, so PM me with your address and I'll send you one too...

*grumble*

\:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 07:13 AM
Hey, I'm glad you liked it. I look forward to yours, of course.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 12:58 PM
Huh? What? Am I supposed to be making a CD?

;\)

One of these days. Procrastination is my superpower.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 03:08 PM
Where's the kryptonite?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 05:31 PM
In my pocket. And I'm happy to see you today!

Hey, CV, that Portuguese song was one of the biggest hits, along with "I'll Kill You". Part of the charm was your cute liner note on that one. My wife liked that one the best.

Hmm ...
Posted By: ihifi Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 05:31 PM
Thank you very much tomtuttle, CV, pmbuko, St_PatGuy, and duckman for your very generous offers. I sent you all PMs. I am anxiously looking forward to the CDs. I will be flying to Turkey next Friday and would like some listening material to take along; so hurry up with the CDs! Thank you again !!!

John
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 06:03 PM
\:\) That was the kick in the pants I needed. It's going out today.
Posted By: ihifi Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/23/08 11:25 PM
:) That was the kick in the pants I needed. It's going out today.

Incredibly nice of you. Thanks!
John
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/24/08 02:57 PM
I consider my CD to be an attempt to spread the joy of Maritime music to those whom might not have otherwise experienced it. As someone nicely summed it up in their response to me after getting one in the mail, "This music just makes you feel good."

If you are interested PM me and I will be happy to send one off, no strings attached.

While I'm on the topic, did I miss anybody? Is anybody still waiting to get one from me?

Did I miss anybody elses works? I kind of lost track while I boycotted computers on my vacation.
Posted By: ihifi Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/24/08 05:03 PM
Who wouldn't want to "feel good"? PM sent. Thanks, Murph !

John
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/24/08 05:29 PM
 Quote:
I consider my CD to be an attempt to spread the joy of Maritime music...

I consider it to be Canadian artistic terrorism!

Just kidding, of course. I really loved Murph's disk. \:\)
Posted By: michael_d Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 12:35 AM
Hu….? I suppose I should pop into this board more often. I didn’t know you guys were doing the great CD give away event.

Who do I have to send a PM to?

Is this a swap thing? I doubt I have anything this crowd likes, but I’m more than willing to whip something up with some help and / or requests.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 01:23 AM
You don't check all the boards?? I think we may have to confiscate your "forum regular" membership card. ;\)

As far as I know, the ACTIVE participants (*ahem* not medic8r) are duckman, Murph, St_PatGuy, CV, tomtuttle, and me.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 02:01 AM
I'd like to reiterate the "not medic8r" part.

Yup, I'll just keep waiting here by the mailbox. . .(taps foot). . .and waiting. . .(checks watch). . . and waiting. . .(hmm, it's getting dark out now). . .
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 02:36 AM
Deerhoof has a new single, but you have to make the music yourself. See link for explanation.

http://deerhoof.cashmusic.org/
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 03:03 AM
This is a very intriguing concept! Thanks for the link

I like the Nick Hennies version a lot.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 03:37 AM
You don't check all the boards?? I think we may have to confiscate your "forum regular" membership card. ;\)

Well.....no, not always. I'll do better from now on. Er, well, maybe, sometimes....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/26/08 03:42 AM
Sometimes isn't good enough!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 03:36 AM
Guess what I got hand delivered to me when my family met up with JP's family today? \:D

(Hint: the thread topic)

I'll be listening to it tomorrow.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 03:37 AM
Cheater. Beating him and taking it from him isn't fair.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 04:42 AM
Yeah, with the injuries involved, and the physical therapy, I regret to inform my fans that delivery of "medic8r mix 2008" has been delayed.

;\)
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 04:45 AM
Informing zero people can be tricky sometimes.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 05:03 AM
Oh, no, you're reading! I didn't mean it!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 05:05 AM
At least I'm out of the negative numbers.

But I'm still into Negative Orange.

P.S. Peter was just the first test subject. After I get the results from his listening, I will be able to improve my formula so that by the time I mail a CD to Ken, each song will infect his brain so thoroughly that his life's soundtrack will be medic8r melodies ...
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 05:07 AM
P.P.S. CV has Chlamydia!!!

(In-joke to fans of the show Weeds)
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 05:12 AM
It's no joke to the thousands of CVs who genuinely suffer from that disease.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 05:37 AM
... the thousands of CVs who genuinely suffer from that disease.

I never knew CV stood for Chlamydic Vajayjay ...
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/27/08 06:28 AM
Please don't let this stick.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/28/08 02:36 AM
I like you, so of course it will won't stick!

BTW, I've concluded that due to the ongoing delay of the medic8r mix, to make it up to my fan(s), I'll make it a double CD. The bonus disc will be called "Juliana loves Bob".
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/28/08 02:58 AM
My wife and I are total (capitalize the w, remember the s) Weeds addicts.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/28/08 11:00 PM
Have they started airing the new season with Nancy at the beach south of San Diego?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 03:35 AM
Yeah, tonight was episode 7 of season 4.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 01:27 PM
So about medic8r's CD. I've listened to it all the way through (in chunks) during my commutes this week and I'm starting to think I've just swallowed a giant pill of auditory psychotherapy. Practically every track is new to me, but they're all also very accessible. This disc feels like I'm putting on a pair of fitted jeans that only need a little breaking in before they stop chafing my sensitive bits.

In case I wasn't being clear, I really like this disc, and it seems like you put a lot of thought into its assembly. Now I have to find that track list so I know what the heck I've been listening to. \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 02:07 PM
\:\) ... \:D ...

My disc is full of nothing but WIN!

I'll mail you the second bonus disc when I mail out the others.

Here is my mailing list:

St_PatGuy
CV
tomtuttle
ihifi (probably getting there after you get back from Turkey)
Avi Deshpande
Murph

Did I miss anybody? Ken, I wasn't sure if you were in on this or not. Let me know if you think you can handle the truth. Although I'm thinking you will not like it because of the lack of Air Supply. "I'm all out of love ..."
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 02:20 PM
Yeah, sure, send me one. Not like I'm likely to send anything out, but...

But if I do, it'll be the disc that never ends, it just goes on and on...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 02:21 PM
He he. I'm on top.

Where's my gloaticon. . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 02:33 PM
<--- smug little b@$tard, isn't he?!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 04:39 PM
Wasn't "Smug Little Bastard" a Negative Orange solo project?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 04:48 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm sure JP has the autographed gold record that says, "Thanks for the inspiration!" to prove it!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 05:08 PM
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 05:10 PM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 07:36 PM
And I thought all the pictures from when Keith was 30 were lost.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/29/08 08:28 PM
30? That's his baby picture.
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 01:44 AM
I feel so shunned...
PM sent
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 12:34 PM
I was afraid of getting a CD full of duck calls in return!

Although my son would probably think that'd be great.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 12:38 PM
Here is my new mailing list:

St_PatGuy
CV
tomtuttle
ihifi
Avi Deshpande
Murph
kcarlile
duckman

Everytime I type "duckman", a little voice in my head says, "Donn ta DAAAA!" and I picture a man with duck wings akimbo.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 01:05 PM
 Quote:
. . .and I picture a man with duck wings akimbo.

Too late. That was yesterday's magic word.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 01:45 PM
D'Oh!!!

Sometimes I try too hard.

*(fights urge to shout several random words in effort to uncover the new magic word)*
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 05:29 PM
Your aspirations have been cast asunder.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 05:41 PM
You're fishing for the new word, aren't you?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 05:46 PM
Good try, but no.

Here's a hint:
The word sounds like a tasty nut.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 05:53 PM

Angelina Jolie?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 06:25 PM

Good one, Anthony!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 07:08 PM
Hmm, while I was at the post office I bought a bunch of mailers, suitable for holding CDs. *tease, tease*

After compiling disc 2, I think these'll fly outta here this week!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 07:47 PM
Two discs?

You just had to outdo everyone, huh? ;\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 07:52 PM
It's a P.R. move to appease the angry masses.

It will remove those last few stubborn bits of impatience and bitterness related to the manufacturing delay.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 07:54 PM
Warning! I may actually be sending out discs today (to 3 people).
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 08:05 PM
Good try, but no.

Here's a hint:

Go fig, the magic word is in today's LA Times crossword. . .

A happy accident.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 08:48 PM
Akimbolieve it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/30/08 09:02 PM
And I have sent out the discs. Nay, only a month after receiving the requests.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 06:09 AM
I was one of them, right?
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 11:41 AM
For the couple of new people who requested my disk, I still haven't made it to the post office.

I have to go pick up a package today though. I'm not sure what I am picking up though. Hopefully it's a surprise sampler CD.

I'll never admit to which one so far has been my favorite. They all have made me enjoy (and buy) new artists and music styles so I don't think I could choose anyways. However Tom, Sharon asked me to tell you she has enjoyed your mix the most. She has been bookmarking artists on Amazon since listening to it.

As a side comment, they have all been sitting on my coffee table for a while now and at least four people have asked me who "Negative Orange" is, two of which proclaimed "Cool Name."
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 12:22 PM
Mailing List 3.0b, ©medic8r holdings, ltd:

pmbuko (bonus disc only)
St_PatGuy
CV
tomtuttle
ihifi
Avi Deshpande
Murph
kcarlile
duckman
MarkSJohnson
Axiom HQ (just for fun)

With studio time tonight and/or Friday, and my local post office now open Saturday until 4 pm, I've set the "release date" (=estimated arrival date) for these as next Wednesday, August 6th.

Hopefully this is the final tease.

Hey, isn't "Final Tease" the Negative Orange single that went the furthest up the R&B charts?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 01:01 PM
I don't know, but I bet CV has the low-riding boxers to prove it.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 01:42 PM
Wocka, wocka!!!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 03:40 PM
However Tom, Sharon asked me to tell you she has enjoyed your mix the most.

Who's Sharon? We're the ones actually sharin', and she has the nerve to decide what's worthy? What an ego! \:D

As a side comment, they have all been sitting on my coffee table for a while now and at least four people have asked me who "Negative Orange" is, two of which proclaimed "Cool Name."

What's in a name? Less than no color in this case.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 07/31/08 05:01 PM
Ya! She sucks!!!!
Let's tell her what we really think of her cheap, wagon jumping, fan boy, comments.

Oh crap..... You don't think she would read this board do you?
I may need a new home, preferably with Axioms already in it. Anybody have room?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/01/08 01:30 AM
I haven't yet gotten my one outstanding request out. I've been busy, though....
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:21 AM
Ken, I forgot to tell you I received your CD mix earlier this week. Got it playing right now. Rock on.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:24 AM
Man, where's mine, then?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:27 AM
Canada.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:39 AM
You never asked for one, Charles.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:47 AM
Now you'll have to wait two months like the rest of us. . .
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:48 AM
Yeah, I PMed you, under the subject "No Energy." I said I wanted your old news and gave you my address. I never got a response, but I figured I was in.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:50 AM
The judge will have to weigh in on this one.

Are there any witnesses?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 04:46 AM
Whooops... I sorry! OK, I'll make another copy and send it out tomorrow. Sorry!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:08 AM
\:D It's cool. I look forward to the Dicksie Chix.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 01:08 PM
Holy crap! Where's your chin?!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 01:14 PM
Every time I tried to save my simponized avatar, I got this truncated version. Maybe it's for the best because I'm wearing a barrel.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 01:34 PM
Wearing a barrel means you need to change your avatar to Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel.

Maybe you should remove the barrel and stand on it to reframe the picture.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 01:38 PM
Bad news on the CD shipment.

My new firewall (I think it's the culprit) has somehow confused my Roxio Easy Media Creator program. It now thinks its "trial period" is over, when there is no such thing - I bought it at a store and installed the CDs long ago.

So until this gets resolved, or I figure out if Windows Media Player is an acceptable alternative, I'm stuck.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:04 PM
Wearing a barrel means you need to change your avatar to Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel.

Maybe you should remove the barrel and stand on it to reframe the picture.

Yeah, but I didn't want my avatar to be too close to the real thing.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 02:06 PM
;\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 03:08 PM
If you had used your wife's mac....
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 03:15 PM
Yeah, but that's her toy.

I have to stick to my own.

Although, if she continues to mess up my Freecell statistics, I may have a case for getting to use her Mac.

Sounds like we have the beginnings of a bad sitcom. "She's a Mac, he's a PC. Wackiness ensues at 'Medic8r Manor', this fall on ABC."
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 03:19 PM
That reminds me of the time I beat Ken's Tetris high score on his Mac in the dorms. \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 03:29 PM
That reminds me of the time I beat Ken's Tetris high score on his Mac in the dorms. \:\)

I assume Ken has blocked that from his memory?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 03:37 PM
He got me to use the Jedi mind trick on him:

*waves hand* "Peter did not beat your score on Tetris ..."

Ken (blankly): "Peter did not beat my score on Tetris ..."
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 03:47 PM
No, I just stopped playing.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 04:26 PM
No, I just stopped playing.

That'll show him! Take that, Peter!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:07 PM
Sean, your Simpsatar doesn't look like my preconceived notion of what you look like. I'm having a minor internal crisis about it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:17 PM
Ask Peter. He's got a wedding photo of me floating around somewhere.

What, did you think my ears were bigger?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:17 PM
Oh, normally I have a body. I'm not just a floating head.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:19 PM
I don't think many of us would fit the mental images we have of each other.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:22 PM
You're talking to yourself again.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:23 PM
(I thought I was the only one who posted multiple followups to himself)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:23 PM
But, I stand corrected.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:26 PM
Well aren't we just storming up the post count list...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:28 PM
Ken's feeling the heat now!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:34 PM
Not... especially.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 05:57 PM
Yeah, even if you add my post count to JP's, we're still not even close.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 06:04 PM
I'm getting concerned about JP, though. It won't be long, and I'll cry.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 06:05 PM
Run, CV, run!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 06:09 PM
What is that thing from "The Neverending Story" that swallows things up? The Great Nothing?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 06:14 PM
With my recent post counts being years, I've reflected on what I was doing each of those years.

If I'm right, during this post year I was in medical school.

Wait, I can't see, is it still 1993 - 1997?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/04/08 06:15 PM
Yup, that was 1994, so this is 1995. In February 1995, I stopped shaving and grew the beard that I would keep for 10 or 11 years.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:21 AM
How many cookie crumbs it must have caught.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:22 AM
Those just become snacks for later.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:32 AM
So, uh, tomorrow I'll mail it out, Charles... *whistles*
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:43 AM
\:D It's fine. I have so much to listen to right now... but I ran out of spending money, so it'll level off.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:45 AM
Demon Fartswallow, is that you?
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:47 AM
Could be. Is that you, Brother Adirondack?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:48 AM
You write some crazy sh!t on your blog.

I mean that in the nicest way.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:56 AM
I'd say it's a cry for help, but it's really just a cry for attention.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/05/08 03:56 AM
Quick, someone pay attention to ..uh.. that guy? before he posts again!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 01:05 AM
JP & CV CDs IM.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 02:21 AM
Sweet, I'll add you to the list of people I'll send my CD to next year.

Just kidding. I meant CDs, plural. Heh.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 03:57 AM
Oh, Sean, I've got your CD in my car now. I like the Spoon song a lot so far. I've listened to about 6 or 7 of them once, and the first few a few times.

Tom and Murph, your discs are on deck. The one Ken is sending will greet me when I come back from vacation.

Updates will continue!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 04:03 AM
Thanks, Ken. I look forward to listening.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 04:03 AM
I plan on listening to Spoon as I drive to the mountains tomorrow. Vacation here I come!!!!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 04:41 AM
How do you drive with that barrel?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 04:49 AM
Take the seats out.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 04:57 AM
And then he barrels down the highway.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/07/08 01:43 PM
wocka wocka!

Oh, wrong month.

HA ha!
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/09/08 06:56 PM
Ken, I got your sampler today. I'll make some time for it later on.
Posted By: Murph Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/11/08 01:04 PM
Oh No, I just opened a desk drawer here at work and found the two CDs I was suppose to send out last Monday.

Sorry Guys!!!! They will go out today.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/11/08 06:55 PM
I need to put together another mix cd. If I ever get off my butt and do it, I'll be sure to offer it up here. \:\) Hmmm...it's pretty darn slow today... ;\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/11/08 08:32 PM
ok...I just put one together. It's a pretty mixed up mess of stuff. \:\) Once I have a bunch burned, I'll start taking names/addresses to send 'em out.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/11/08 10:47 PM
I just listened to the disc during lunch...it needs a couple tweaks...a couple of transitions are too abrupt.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/11/08 11:06 PM
Funny, I think when I was making my disc, I purposely made the transitions abrupt. But I really don't remember.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/12/08 12:17 AM
I've got a better mix going now...basically a dark/edgy "side A", and a lighter/happier "side B".

Almost ready to begin making copies...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/12/08 03:27 AM
Every time I hear the Knopfler song, Quality Shoe -- I think about your comment about how the song grew on you listening to my last mix. \:\) Makes me smile.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/12/08 10:10 PM
OK...it's finally done and copies are being burned. Here's a track list. PM me if you'd like a copy!

1 Dracula – The Beginning Bram Stoker’s Dracula Soundtrack Wojciech Kilar
2 I Put a Spell on You Lost Highway Soundtrack Marilyn Manson
3 Aisha The Contino Sessions Death in Vegas
4 Desire No More Tears Ozzy Osbourne
5 Hurt American IV: The Man Comes Around Johnny Cash
6 Lux Aeterna Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack Clint Mansell/Kronos Quartet
7 Always Forever Now Heat Soundtrack The Passengers
8 U Plavu Zoru Hang on Little Tomato Pink Martini
9 Flor din ha esperanca Café Atlantico Cesaria Evora
10 Smile On an Island David Gilmore
11 Poetry Man Trav’lin’ Light Queen Latifah
12 Jubuticaba Bebel Gilberto Bebel Gilberto
13 Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word Genius Loves Company Ray Charles & Elton John
14 Where You End Hotel Moby
15 Something Wicked This Way Comes Lost Highway Soundtrack Barry Adamson
16 Diamonds are Forever Diamonds are Forever: The Remix Album Shirley Bassey

It's been so long since I made a mix, there may
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/13/08 12:20 AM
This should be more user friendly. \:\)

6 Lux Aeterna Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack Clint Mansell/Kronos Quartet
10 Smile On an Island David Gilmore
13 Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word Genius Loves Company Ray Charles & Elton John
16 Diamonds are Forever The Remix Album: Diamonds are Forever Shirley Bassey
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/13/08 01:15 AM
I burned nine copies...I've got five left.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/15/08 10:23 PM
First printing is sold out and all are shipping today! Enjoy! fyi...I didn't include a track list with the package - sorry, but the post above has everything you'd need to know. \:\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 08/15/08 10:24 PM
oh...I forgot this didn't post yesterday. Another update of the track list, this time including links to both the album on amazon.com, as well as a link to artist info/bio on wikipedia. (hey...I was bored!)

6 Lux Aeterna Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet
10 Smile On an Island David Gilmour
16 Diamonds are Forever The Remix Album: Diamonds are Forever Shirley Bassey
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 02/21/09 10:57 PM
Hey, when are the 2009 mix CDs going to be made? I'd really like to hear some of the stuff Dean has been listening to, among others. I'd love to hear J.P.'s second offering, too.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/13/10 11:01 AM
I made a new mix for anyone interested. I can send physical copies if necessary, but this time I decided to stick my neck out a little further and host the zip file here. 23 tracks at 79:30, 320kbps MP3, 191 MB. I didn't duplicate any artists I had on my previous mix, but it's quite possible you've heard some of the tracks if you ever follow my links I post to the "So what are ya listening to tonight?" thread. I know, I know, who actually follows those? Anyway, not all of them are showcases for sound quality, but I did make a conscious effort to include plenty that sound great to me.

I figure I'll leave it up for maybe a month, so grab it if you want it. Since I don't take full advantage of my bandwidth and space allowances, I can host mixes that other people make, too. I can make a directory and FTP account specifically for sharing. Some stipulations might help. How about... one mix per person at a time, mixes no longer than 80 minutes, and no more than one track by any artist in the mix. If you're interested in sharing music this way, PM me so I can create the account and give you the details. I look forward to sampling some of your favorites!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/13/10 01:21 PM
Cool. I got it.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/13/10 04:51 PM
Charles, you are a Rock Star. THANK YOU. I look forward to hearing the tunes, and the new pangs of guilt that go along with not yet having reciprocated.

I'll have to ask JP how to get over those feelings.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/13/10 06:52 PM
Oh, and once again, the tracks may not all be family safe, so take that into account.
Posted By: Henry66 Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/15/10 02:35 AM
Nice, I liked a significant portion of those tracks. I already knew of First Aid Kit and Electrelane, but now I have some new artists to explore. Much appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/15/10 02:48 AM
Thanks for listening. I'm already second-guessing several of my choices, and I knew it wasn't flowing as well as I wanted, so I'm glad it wasn't a total bust. Ha ha.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/15/10 02:00 PM
On my first run-through, I liked tracks 8, 9, and 21 best. The rest were so different than what I listen to that it will take some time form my brain to break in to their new sound. smile

Thanks, CV, for providing me with the opportunity to broaden my musical horizons.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 11/16/10 05:13 AM
Sure thing.

Nice choices on tracks. They all have beautiful voices.
Posted By: julian_y Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 03/09/11 10:39 PM
I would recommend http://www.2l.no/

A Norway company who provides its free 24BIT/192kHz music for test. Just click "2L Brand store" and then "Test Bench HD audio files" It even has 24BIT/352.8kHz format music which has a size of over 1GB for just a 9 minute music.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/29/11 08:14 AM
I made a new music mix in case anyone wants something to listen to. I didn't take super-special care to make sure they were tracks you haven't heard before, but I don't think they were in my previous mixes. Again, if you ever follow links I post in the "So what are ya listening to tonight?" thread, then many of these will be familiar. I mainly made this mix for myself out of songs that I seem to really like coming up in my much bigger playlist lately. I hope they can make some of you smile, too.

Oh, and there's probably a little swearing in there, but I don't think there's too much.

Download it here. 22 tracks. MP3 320 kbps (except for one which is a lower bitrate natively). 178 megs.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/29/11 12:56 PM
Downloaded. Thank you, CV!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/29/11 01:39 PM
Me, too.

Plus, I downloaded the 111310_mix, which I had missed the first time around.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/29/11 02:03 PM
Got my copy, thanks. Now I need a blank CD, so I can listen to it in my car.

After thinking about it, I doubt that these would play in my car. It's not an MP3 player.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/29/11 05:28 PM
You can always burn it as an audio CD.
Posted By: Henry66 Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/29/11 09:36 PM
Thanks again CV. This is a great way to get out of my comfort zone and try some different stuff. Much appreciated.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 01:19 AM
Man. I didn't know it would be so difficult to make a CD that's playable in my car. I researched how to do this. First have to convert the mp3 files to cda files or let the burner program do it on the fly. Microsoft Media wouldn't do it. So I downloaded about 4 programs to do the conversion, and the 1st 3 didn't even have the capability to do the conversion, even thought the comments on the program in the browser said that it would. Downloaded a Nero burner. It went through the process, except when it came time to burn, it just spun it's wheels, like forever, until I could run task manager to stop it.

I found and installed the software that came with my DVD burner and, so far it seems like it's working, but I'm not sure. It will spin occasionally, then stop for long periods of time. The progress bar is moving. It's been like 30 minutes and hasn't completed the first song yet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 01:53 AM
iTunes will do it pretty easily...
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 05:25 AM
Ahh, I didn't anticipate issues with making MP3s into audio CDs. I thought it was pretty much a given feature these days. I know I can do it with Windows Media Player, but I find it a pain to do it right. I seem to use Easy CD-DA Extractor for all of my basic music functions these days, burning included.

One possible issue may by the total time if you try to burn all tracks. It's a little over 79 minutes. It's not an issue for me since I got Sony blank media at Costco. Their 80-minute CDs are actually right at 80 minutes, as opposed to whatever other brand I was using before that claimed 80 minutes but seemed to have wildly varying (okay, maybe not wildly, but certainly a lot sloppier than these Sony discs) amounts of space from one disc to the next, usually under 80 minutes. So maybe whatever discs you're using don't actually have the required amount of space? Just a thought.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 05:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
iTunes will do it pretty easily...

Fanboy.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 12:52 PM
I made 2 failed attempts using the software that came with my DVD burner. Both times it seems to have just hung up. The first time I could smell the results of the burning proceedure, but not the 2nd time. The drive would spin a few times attempting to write at 64x, then silence. I waited about an hour the 2nd time, and nothing but silence. It would seem that if the drive was defective, that the software would error out or something.

I'll make a copy on a flash drive, take it to work, and try it there with Nero burner.

At work, I've made a lot of data DVD's for data backups, but this is my first attempt at a music CD.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 01:22 PM
Ahh, I didn't anticipate issues with making MP3s into audio CDs. I thought it was pretty much a given feature these days. I know I can do it with Windows Media Player, but I find it a pain to do it right.

My first attempt last night was with Window's Media Player, when I put it in burn mode, and try to drag the file(s) to the burn list, all that would happen is I'd get a red circle with a slash through it. I'm assuming that is because these are MP3 files and it was expecting something different.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 01:51 PM
[quote=CatBratThe drive would spin a few times attempting to write at 64x, then silence.[/quote]
64X? That's too fast and I'm not sure why the burner is even attempting that (I haven't noted any burners nor discs that are rated for that speed, though I really haven't been looking).

See if you can do it at, say, 12X.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 02:35 PM
That particular software wouldn't let me change it.

I just got a 48x to work at work using Nero. It took all of a little over 5 minutes to burn all 22 songs. Now, will it play in a CD player?....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 02:44 PM
If you burned it as an "audio" CD and not a Data CD, it should.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 02:47 PM
We have lift-off. It plays fine in my car. (Throws confetti).
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
If you burned it as an "audio" CD and not a Data CD, it should.

All attempts were with audio CD.
Posted By: CV Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 07:26 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Now I just hope a track or two make the effort worthwhile.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Axiom forum sampler cd - 12/30/11 08:14 PM
Now if I can just get my system to do it at home. I hate buying software. I'll try iTunes later and see what happens.

I made a copy for a woman that made gave me a CD she made that contains Frank Sinatra and Engelbert Humperdinck.

As you can see, I'm not too fond of F.S. and E.H.
© Axiom Message Boards