Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 02:27 AM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/songs+Canadians/3608114/story.html

This was pretty educational for me. Go Canada! smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 03:02 AM
Some of the acts/songs in there are kind of surprising really, makes me wonder who they asked(not me). Maestro Fresh Wes, lol...and no Our Lady Peace? Triumph? Holly Cole? Loreena McKennitt? Molly Johnson? David Foster? Jeff Healey?....

Life is a Highway is one of Tom Cochrane's weakest efforts...try Good Times, Lunatic Fringe, White Hot, Big League, Light in the Tunnel/Human Race(most of these were with Red Rider, another glaring omission). Not much representation of Joni Mitchell, BTO, Sarah McLachlan ect. but at least they left out Justin Bieber and Avril Lavigne.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 03:07 AM
Interesting list.

I was expecting to see KIm Mitchell (Max Webster), Truimph (Rik Emmett), Shania Twain, Burton Cummings (solo), or Gino Vanelli.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 03:14 AM
Meh. For the pop culture music list it represents it would have been nice if The Age of Electric - Remote Control would be there. At least one song from The Tea Party . A song from Our Lady Peace (Naveed Album). Big Wreck - That Song.

Surprised not to see Big Sugar on that list as well. At least one unusual suspect in Wintersleep rounded out the list at 100.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 03:17 AM
I guess it depends where they asked people, Paul. A lot of us grew up on Max Webster in southern Ontario but maybe not so much in other parts of Canada. Shania is a huge ommission considering her success but maybe it's hard to pinpoint a single song by certain artists. There's 10 other Rush songs I would have put ahead of the couple they listed, I guess it's what people are exposed to....they just don't play the "epic" Rush songs on the radio. Liona Boyd could have been on there somewhere, too. April Wine, an excellent band, was represented by one of their cheezier songs "Could Have Been a Lady", no Sign of the Gypsy Queen? I Like to Rock? Say Hello? Bad Side of the Moon?
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 03:48 AM
Is Shatner on the list? Green tambourine and Rocketman are classics.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 04:03 AM
Very true Adrian

Bands like Triumph, April Wine and even Rush don't have huge chart topping songs. They rely more on touring and album sales than individual singles.

I admit Max Webster may not be as big, but Kim Mitchell as a solo artist had some huge sucess, in Canada at least, in the 80's and early 90's. I remember seeing him in 1991 at the CNE with about 30,000 other fans.

It is interesting the Rush makes the list more than a few times and we dont' see anything from Triumph (both bands are in the Canadian Rock N Roll hall of fame).
Posted By: HAY Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 04:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Maestro Fresh Wes, lol...

I agree there's lots of other good bands that should have been represented but, whether you like rap or not he did well... Wiki
Posted By: Adrian Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 01:22 PM
Yeah, I can't say I like "rap". In fact I had to give up a promising career as an international spy because the baddies used to play Grand Master Flash to make me talk.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 07:24 PM
I suspect the list is based on total sales of that particular song.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 07:53 PM
A lot of good songs were never released as singles so I guess they need to clarify what they mean by "Top 100".
Posted By: alan Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 10:33 PM
I remember April Wine being an excellent band. I think with some of the other "niche" artists like Holly Cole et al, you can't name a particular "hit" song. As much as I like him, I think there are too many Neil Young songs. With my folkie acoustic background, I was really pleased to see Four Strong Winds (Ian and Sylvia), quite a few Gordon Lightfoot songs, Joni Mitchell, and of course "Snowbird" (Anne Murray). Do you recall a band called Edward Bear and a hit they had called "Last Song"? It was huge in southern Ontario.

The Band of course is wonderful, but there ain't nothin' Canadian about Levon Helm, the drummer. An Arkansas boy, if I recall. The others are all from southern Ontario.

Alan
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 11:10 PM
Other notable omissions from the list are Prisim and Streetheart.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/05/10 11:28 PM
Didn't see any Chilliwack songs either(Fly by Night, Crazy Talk, Baby Blue...).
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/06/10 12:08 AM
Like Paul and Adrian, what about Triumph, who the hell made this list anyway. smile Along with Rush, Triumph was one of my favorite rock bands from the 70's-80's, as well as April Wine.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/05/12 02:46 PM
A lot of good songs were never released as singles so I guess they need to clarify what they mean by "Top 100".

Then again, they're looking at this thread, too. "You're listening to the Hot 100 Countdown on Yellow Knife Radio, where the hits are born!"
Posted By: fredk Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/07/12 02:05 AM
Geez Bob. Living in the past isn't good for you.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/17/12 05:33 AM
The link to the list doesn't work now. But, I hope Baby by Justin Bieber was on it!
Posted By: Murph Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/17/12 02:34 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhh!!!!!
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/18/12 03:27 AM
The Bieb is Canadian? No kidding. Next thing you will be telling me that Shatner is too.

Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man!
Posted By: Amie Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/18/12 12:54 PM
Ooooh, if the link is broken then I guess it's up to us to start a new list! Uh, are we kicking it off with the Bieb? He's from where Alan and I grew up, ya know . . . prolly related. Just sayin'.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/18/12 03:54 PM
Yup, Captian Kirk is a Canadian. But you can have the Bleb.
Posted By: Amie Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/18/12 05:55 PM
Shawn, I keep meaning to ask you if you've played k.d. lang's Hallelujia (Vancouver Olympics version) on the LFRs yet . . . always an awesome test song for me and one of the first ones I put on when Ian brought them home (once he gave me the remote of course!). That song definitely belongs in the Canadian top 100.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/18/12 10:28 PM
I haven't heard that one Amie, I played Dire Straits and some Supertramp to welcome them home.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/19/12 01:57 AM
Oh yeah. Remastered Money for nothing.....Ride across the river... can you listen to that one for me?
Posted By: SBrown Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/19/12 02:42 AM
Sure Chris.....deep and wide..to the other side.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/19/12 02:54 AM
ooooooooh, I bet it sounds incredible.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 07/19/12 05:28 AM
Yes,just blooming lovely. One of my favorites for sure.
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/02/12 04:37 PM
Didn't see any Chilliwack songs either(Fly by Night, Crazy Talk, Baby Blue...).

Maybe it's because they've been Gone so Long
Posted By: Murph Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/03/12 11:38 AM
We also tend to make fun of them a lot.
No reason. They were great at what they did. It just seems that in Canada, once you reach a certain level of popularity, you actually become a target for popular ridicule vs. increased hero worship. An odd part of our culture, I guess.

Except for Celine Dion. We are all to afraid of her to make fun !!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Top 100 Songs by Canadians - 10/11/12 01:14 AM
I think we tend to make fun of those that seem to be too manufactured ala Bieber
© Axiom Message Boards