Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 10:58 AM
Hi Everyone;

Just in case you're at home today or in a pub today at lunch . . . Ian's going to be on BNN at 1:00pm-ish to be interviewed on his international operations.

TODAY ON HEADLINE
1:00 pm ET

Focus: Three Successful Canadian Exporters You've Never Heard Of
When it comes to Canadian exporters, there are hundreds of successful stories you've likely never heard about. Headline uncovers a few of them with with interviews with companies that export to Europe, China and Brazil. BNN speaks to Nigel Bennett, Co-founder & Principal, Aqua-Guard Spill Response; Éric Beauregard, President and CEO, AV&R Vision & Robotics; and Ian Colquhoun, President and CEO, Axiom Audio.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 03:47 PM
Cool. I won't see it, but still neat.

Maybe it will show up on YouTube or someplace for the rest of us to see it.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 06:58 PM
Quick Recap

In studio interview, displayed is an Audiobyte, QS8 and something else.

Asked what they make and their business model - speakers and amplifiers. Factory direct worldwide.

Asked about the NRC and the research that took place.

Talked about manufacturing in China and Canada and the importance of keeping a portion of the manufacturing domestic.

Asked about the impact and how they deal with a rising Canadian dollar.

Asked what percentage of sales come from Canada - 25% CAN, 50% USA, 25% rest of world.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Asked what percentage of sales come from Canada - 25% CAN, 50% USA, 25% rest of world.

Hey, thanks for the recap. That was well done.

I always wondered what the sales breakdown was by country. My hunch was more along the lines of 30/60/10. 25/50/25 is pretty cool.
Posted By: Amie Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 08:57 PM
The breakdown has definitely changed a lot in the last couple of years. It was pretty steady between 2002-2008 but then it really began going all over the map.

Here's the link to the video clip:

http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip850851

(It's hard not to say the Q in our last name. It's just too many silent letters!)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 09:18 PM
I think Ian KalKoon did great! smile
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 09:35 PM
Interviewing rule number one: correctly pronounce the name of the person you are interviewing.
Posted By: Amie Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 10:39 PM
It's the poor telemarketers that have the worst time with it . . . "Is Eye-ann Col-qwa-houn there?" Oh dear . . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/24/13 11:10 PM
No, he's at the party. It just "went Canadian".
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/25/13 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Amie
The breakdown has definitely changed a lot in the last couple of years. It was pretty steady between 2002-2008 but then it really began going all over the map.

Here's the link to the video clip:

http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip850851

(It's hard not to say the Q in our last name. It's just too many silent letters!)

Thanks Amie for the link, great interview and I haven't left the pub just yet.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/25/13 01:47 PM
It is kind of unfortunate that you have an interviewer that obviously knows nothing about the business or product that is being sold otherwise we all know that Axiom is well known in the A/V community and has been for a long time. If the interviewer did know anything about the business, it would have been an interesting discussion about Ian's change in philosophy after so many years selling in retailers, what prompted the desire to go solely the on-line route? That is something I, personally, would have been interested in listening to especially for the casual observer who wonders how that is done when they always think the only option for purchasing speakers is through a retailer.

Of course, with less than seven minutes to talk, on television time is always the enemy.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/26/13 03:54 AM
you would think the guy would ask Ian how to pronounce his name before going live. Great interview Ian!
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/26/13 04:39 AM
Ian, you dun Axiom proud...

TAM
Posted By: SBrown Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/26/13 01:47 PM
Thanks Amie, way to go Ian!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/30/13 10:43 PM
Speaking as a former broadcaster, when interviewing anyone, you always do research about the person/company/product. This helps prevent appearing to be an idiot. And, you ALWAYS ask for correct name pronunciation even if the name is Smith or Jones.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 01:27 PM
That's right, Jake.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 01:55 PM
What Chez Peach said.
Posted By: Murph Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 03:20 PM
I disagree with DJ Kaptain K.C.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 04:11 PM
I believe he pronounces his last name Car-ka-lyle. (Don't forget the "QU")
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 06:39 PM
Ken must be asleep, or actually working. Usually that would rate at least one stabbity.
Posted By: Murph Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 07:50 PM
I sense a stealth stabbity on it's way.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 01/31/13 08:01 PM
Great. Now I won't sleep tonight, and I've got to keep my back to the wall at all times. Frickin' Ken and his delayed stabbitys.
Posted By: fredk Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 02/01/13 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
I believe he pronounces his last name Car-ka-lyle. (Don't forget the "QU")

Ken Karkwalyle? Who knew.
Posted By: PatCase Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/23/13 05:29 PM
Very good interview. One of the things that Ian might stress is that for many North Americans, the fact that Axiom's manufacturing takes place here is of importance. Although my 2 channel audio is from the UK (Quad and Audiolab) my stereo speakers (Axiom) are Canadian and my entire surround sound system is Canadian (Axiom and Anthem). In three to four years, my 2 channel electronics will be Canadian as I transition to Bryston.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/23/13 07:43 PM
in a few thousand years, they will say in advertising
"buy from your local planet".
Posted By: georgerogers42 Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/24/13 12:55 AM
http://bnnhdpmd.akamaihd.edgesuite.net/B...Adaptive_04.mp4

is the link to the video.
Posted By: ArthurC Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/24/13 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: PatCase
... the fact that Axiom's manufacturing takes place here is of importance.

Certainly was a consideration for me. I always try to buy local, then Canadian, then move outwards.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/24/13 04:39 PM
JB:

With the way things are going on this planet, it is doubtful if anyone will be here in a few thousand years...

TAM
Posted By: casey01 Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/24/13 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: ArthurC
Originally Posted By: PatCase
... the fact that Axiom's manufacturing takes place here is of importance.

Certainly was a consideration for me. I always try to buy local, then Canadian, then move outwards.

I would agree and I tend to lose my patience when the so-called "experts" on the web make reference to the fact that when compared to other on-line speaker companies such as Aperion(who I have no issue with and have good equipment), conveniently forget that ALL of Aperions speakers, among several other brands, are manufactured in China, hence, the price advantage, and other than their top of the line models, even B&W has everything else manufactured in the Far East.

It always returns to the same concept, you want to keep the jobs here where people are paid a decent wage, be prepared to pay the price otherwise we all know the alternative and that alternative is what makes Walmart such a giant corporation.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Fellow Canadians . . . Ian on BNN - 08/25/13 05:17 PM
Right on, Casey and Arthur. I'm right there with you.
© Axiom Message Boards