Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 11:36 AM
Sooo . . . what's the word? Are we cueing up an Axiom picnic this summer or are all the visitors coming in twos and threes?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 12:13 PM
Woo Hoo!

You guys'll do anthing to audition those 600s, huh?

(Figured I'd reply first since Amie and I are usually the only ones on the boards really early in the A.M.!)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 12:18 PM
Oh Poo! I was here at 5:45 this morning.

The picnic sounds like such a GREAT idea. Wish I could attend, but duty calls.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 12:38 PM
Amie's post was quite a tease with no real info. But if she's talkin' 'bout what I think she's talkin' 'bout, all of us Americans can stop by Jack's on the way back... and I'm sure we can bring him and Mom some potato salad!
Posted By: ringmir Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 01:00 PM
How long of a drive is that from Boston?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 01:13 PM
i dont even want to think how far it is from Texas. i know for a fact, its a solid 2 day drive just to get to the canadian border.

but, somebody make my chili recipe, it will be the 'hit' of the party. just dont spill any on the EP600's.

bigjohn
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 02:04 PM
Name the dates and I will be there.......
Fordprefect, Saturn, we should be a convoy headin' up Highway 11 to Huntsville!!!!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 03:30 PM
I'd seriously consider a trip up there for a weekend.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 03:41 PM
Boy, Amie sure didn't give much to go on, did she?

I would consider it too if I were available on the date...

Amie... more info please!

And tell me we'll talk music and speakers... and not cheese! (Anyone else notice there was never any word of this sort of an event in the past till Amie found out there were fellow cheeseheads here?)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:09 PM
i wonder if i could convince the pilot of our corp jet to drop me off on the way to our NY office. Heck i would even parachute in on that action
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:09 PM
I would be very interested in an Axiom GTG, although with finances the way they are right now there is no way I could journey to Canada.
But man do I need a get away!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:12 PM
Will work for travel and FOOD!
If ya need a photographer that is.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:14 PM
The more notice the better as far as a date goes. Cheap airfares, you know.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:16 PM
Well it's only a bit more than a 3 hour drive so if the date is a good one I'll be there. I am hoping to meet a LOT of Texans
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:34 PM
I thought we'd pick a date together! I know a couple of you have plans in the works, so chime in! Once you've picked the dates I can let the neighbours know. (Just kidding. Seriously just kidding.)

BigJohn, come on, there'll be free stuff! What could be more fun than piling the whole family into the station wagon (a woody of course), strapping your auntie to the roof, and driving north . . . north . . . north . . .

And I'm definitely going to need some time to find tunes that don't make the list up there in AFAO!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:42 PM
Well if I suggest a date you'll be on vacation .
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:43 PM
The Station Wagon Woody?

We might be around ON in mid July, somewhere before the weekend of the 16th to the 24th or so.
I vote for that week.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:45 PM
I hear there's going to be door prizes and maybe an unveiling.
Amie, is that true?

(may as well start the rumours early).

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:56 PM
Amie:
If I can offer a suggestion... I think if you ask for random dates you'll find answers all over the place and much more work on your part.... and I'm sure you have other things to do! I think it might be better to choose three dates and take a poll as to first choice, second choice, third choice or "unavailable" for that date. See what wins in the "most preferable with fewest can't-make-it" ratio and you'll have your date.

I was President of a state association for four years and organized many gatherings and can tell you, you'll NEVER get everyone to agree to anything!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 04:59 PM
I have not yet set a date, so whatever works for the majority, as long as I can book a flight in advance.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 05:04 PM
Amie:
Are there hotels in the area? Can we have a few listening sessions? Take a tour? Do some of the naughty things mentioned here? Oh wait. We'll never get invited back and getting arrested in a country other than my own might be bad. Oh, what the hell. The jails must be better than Mexico's!
Posted By: Zarak Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 05:05 PM
Speaking of flying in, just where is your nearest airport and how far is it from where you live?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 05:24 PM
Nearest large airport is Toronto.
If you want to have a "look" at the area go to http://maps.google.com/maps and enter "Dwight Ontario" in the search box. Use the scale at the left to zoom in and out.

On the right hand side of the page hit "satellite" to get aerial mapping and see just how many trees there are .

To the right of "Maps" click on local search and then enter "hotels" that will bring up locations and links.

I'm sure Amie will have a lot better info but at least this gives you some idea of the geography.

If all else fails drive to Burlington Ontario, look for an Altima and I'll drive you there .

Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 05:56 PM
Assuming my work schedule allows - I'll be there.

Hmm... have to set up a shuttle service between Pearson Airport and Dwight... maybe something like that '66 Fairlane Wagon... er, wait, never mind.

Geez, can you imagine the "BYO whatever" stuff that would come with everyone from here? All your wacky beer, cheeses, doves/pigeons, what the heck does a guy from Manitoba bring... Morden's Chocolates? Maple Syrup? Mosquitos?

Bren R.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 05:56 PM
i just map quested the directions from san angelo to dwight.. its only 1900 miles... so you reckon 3800 round trip. our SUV gets 17MPG, and gas will cost around $2.25 a gallon come summertime. so that comes up to just over $500 bucks in gas alone.

as much as i would love to, it just dont seem possible. especially when we have our big family reunion trip to north arkansas, planned for the last week in june.

just make sure someone takes lots of pictures. i know if you get this group of hoodlums together, you are bound to get a pic of something good.....like....

ray re-programming the remotes.
tharkun building a canoe.
mark taking tedious notes to create his 'mother of all axiom party' post.
peter, tom, and bigwill getting drunk by the keg.
bren fixing the lawnmower, installing track lighting, re-caulking the toilet, calibrating the heater flange on your microwave oven, and installing a monitor system in tharkun's new canoe.
ringmir smokin cigars and hitting on all the hot chicks.
ken gets drunk off 2 beers and runs around trying to convince everyone that M40's are the best speakers in the world.
bridgeman packs 'the heat', and shoots every squirrel in the neighborhood.
minirock finally explains his emotional and spiritual connection with princess lea.
spiffnme lets everyone give mr bear a kiss, then retires to the listening room to hear 'purple rain' on the EP600's.
2x6 and Haoleboy take their tube amps down by the lake, and watch the warm light twinkle like shimmering stars.
bray forgets to pack his cameras, which is the only damn reason he is there in the first place.
saturn installs his entire system on his lap-top, but then his wienny dog eats it..
whatfurrer boils up shrimp and crawdads, and brags about his new house in austin.
and johnk mingles thru the crowd explaining the inner workings of every single piece of audio equipment ever made.
ajax tried to make it, but he was too busy setting up his 'new' paradigm system that he won because his name rhymes with wax..

so, just try and get some pics, and let me know how it turns out!!

bigjohn
Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 05:59 PM
John... I... just... peed.

Bren R.
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:02 PM
LOL
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:02 PM
What a riot. So who's gonna be there to tell jokes if you're not there?
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:04 PM
BTW I would NEVER forget the camera gear, with a group like that.
And the more beer I consumed the more pics I would take.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:07 PM
In reply to:

and gas will cost around $2.25 a gallon come summertime

I wish. We're getting GOUGED here in LA. Average price for regular unleaded is about $2.60/gallon. Though just yesterday I saw a place just down the street from my office...are you ready for this? I hope you're sitting down.

Reg $2.89
Mid $2.99
Hi $3.09

That's SELF SERVE.

Around town (which is 99% of my driving) my Audi only gets about 15mpg. (closer to 25+ on the freeway, but I rarely ever drive the freeways.)

It would actually be cheaper for me to fly than drive. How crazy is that?

Back to the subject of FREE stuff...

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:11 PM
I think bigjohn's pretty much got it nailed.

It's over 2900 miles each way for me (and more for the Californians), and there's no way I'm spending that much time in the car with ANYBODY. I doubt I could get Mrs. Tuttle and the little tuttles on board for that kind of commitment without mouse ears or warm beaches. So, bigwill and peter will have to handle the keg of La Fin du Monde without me.

It's a pity, too, because MY wife makes the best potato salad

Amie, this is a wonderful and gracious idea. I really think you should do it.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:18 PM
In reply to:

Reg $2.89

WOW, its not that bad here at all.. i mean, its high, but not that high. i think i paid $2.15 a gallon a few days ago. of course, i have a 33 gallon tank, so it was almost $70 bucks. and flying into toronto is not a bad idea.. but its still a 3 hour drive to dwight from toronto.

mark- i really dont know any jokes. i just kinda laugh at what i see around me. but i am entertaining, especially after a few beers.

sounds like this dang party just might be worth getting to.

bigjohn
Posted By: alou Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:23 PM
On top of fuel/beer costs, you must account for the number of litres/gallons of bug repellent you will require during your stay.

And keep your children tied down...from what I hear, the horseflies are big enough to fly away with an 8 yr old!!

Posted By: James_T Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:33 PM
Wow. that would be a lot of fun! Great music, beer, and cheese. Plus there are bound to be some 'interesting' conversations. Though, it might be a good idea to consider it like Vegas. What happens there stays there. I'm just thinking of our 'port lovers'. I don't mean to judge, but they might appreciate our discretion.

Isn't there a camp ground near by? Talk about a cheap vacation. If the weather is nice, just camp out for a weekend.

Now, like spiff said "back to this free stuff".

jr
Posted By: ringmir Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:41 PM
In reply to:

ringmir smokin cigars and hitting on all the hot chicks.

I have no idea what I've said/done on the board that would give you this impression of me...

But it's probably *spot on*. heh.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 06:55 PM
Too funny!!!

Keep in mind that gas in Canada is more expensive than the US. A gallon would current run you approx $4.00 for an Imperial gallon ( $0.92L x 4.55 L = 1 Imperial Gallon - I know the US gallon is slightly smaller - not to get into a measurement discussion again!).

Also note that this is pretty isolated areas - definitely beautiful area, but isolated.

Amie, name the date and let us get planning!!!!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 07:08 PM
FOOD PORTIONS KEEP GETTING LARGER AND LARGER

I don’t really know enough about Latvians to be making fun of them, but after news like this I don’t think I need to know much more, after all. According to the Baltic News Service, Latvia is set to enter the Guinness Book of World Records after slapping together the world’s largest potato salad, a whopping feast of potatoes, cabbage, sausage, eggs, peas, cucumbers, sour cream and mayonnaise weighing in at an astronomical (and gastronomical) 3,277 kilos, (7,210 pounds). Most impressively, the giant potato salad was made entirely by hand, and then devoured in about 30 minutes by 4,500 hungry Latvians.
(from Yahoo News, Nov. 27, 2003)

Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 07:11 PM
Yes, it is resort central around here - definitely a great vacation destination for families (at least until the subwoofers scare the young'uns out of bed!) Everything from Deerhurst "city in the country" resort to camping in the national park just up the road from us (which is the same size as Northern Ireland!). And a camp ground right next door to the factory! I think it is most similar to the Adirondacks, for the Americans. With really great food.

I promise prizes, potato salad, and confidentiality clauses . . .

I'll find out the summer holiday schedule for the factory ('cause I think you may want to meet EVERYONE when you're here, not just Ian and I!) and consult the farmer's almanac and pick a date!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 07:14 PM
Daring to state the obvious, but a Saturday would be most excellent. I wiped my vacation days going to Europe!

Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 07:33 PM
In reply to:

whatfurrer boils up shrimp and crawdads, and brags about his new house in austin.

Don't know about boiling shrimp and crawfish (crawdads are fish bait...it's a Texas thing...lived too long in Louisiana) but I make a mean Chicken Etoufee as well as Crawfish Etoufee, Red Beans & Rice, etc...

I would give my eye teeth to be able to attend but I am thinking that all my available "disposable" income may be taken up by moving into the new house with blinds, furniture, new QS8's, etc...

If someone would spring for a ticket, I'll come cook.

Seriously...

<edited by WhatFurrer> Nevermind, a ticket from Austin to Toronto near the end of July is approx $450...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ajax Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 07:44 PM
Although I'm unable to participate, I cannot tell you the joy I am getting from this thread. I have seen other companies do GTGs (Get ToGethers), and think they are fabulous fun for all. Is this strictly for Axiom customers, or can other crazed audio nuts join in? I'm thinking of guys like Curtis (Ascend), NeverHappy (MA?), and even Craigsub (Everything, including Axiom). There's no saying they would even WANT to come, or be able to, but it might be nice to make it clear what is OK, and what isn't.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 08:10 PM
In reply to:

what is OK, and what isn't

it ISNT ok to get drunk and pee on the neighbors car..

it IS ok to get drunk and go skinny dipping at midnight..

it ISNT ok to touch or fondle the EP600's.

it IS ok to admire them from afar.

bigjohn
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 08:20 PM
My summer is semi-wide open, so all I need is enough advance notice, and to convince my pregnant wife, of course.

Now to check on airfare...
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 08:26 PM
Didn't learn from the first one, eh? JK
Congratulations!
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 08:51 PM
I love potato salad
Posted By: alou Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 09:25 PM
In reply to:

it ISNT ok to get drunk and pee on the neighbors car..

good thing you guys aren't my neighbors...
In reply to:

it IS ok to get drunk and go skinny dipping at midnight..

I have a mental picture of most people on this board...the cover of darkness is NOT enough to allow you guys to go skinny dipping. Now, your spouses on the other hand...
In reply to:

it ISNT ok to touch or fondle the EP600's.

Is "EP600" being used as an euphuism for body parts?

Posted By: bridgman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/07/05 10:32 PM
>>Is "EP600" being used as an euphuism for body parts?

No, some people on the board have a reputation for being dust cap pokers and vortex port fondlers
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 12:35 AM
Can a former Axiom owner/still current BIG Axiom fan and disciple come to this thing???

For a limited few, a flight to Rochester with an overnight at Ford Manor and shuttle service to Dwight might possibly be available. bigjohn, tomtuttle, spiffnme and you other outlanders - think about how simple that is. Also, I'm guessing FordPrefect and others within 4-5 driving hours could be coerced into a similar offer.

Amie - can you start a list of some type. Who is close enough and willing to offer to accept immigrants on a Thursday for the Friday drive or Friday to Dwight, how many they could help with (I can take 3)

With planning and creativity, cheap plane tickets can be had and let's be honest - whose wife would not be happy to get rid of us for a weekend? Sleeping arrangements could be thrifty with 4-6 guys sharing a resort bungalow. It works.

Think about this 2 times. All the hours devoted to the forum. The common love of the Axiom stuff. A chance to pester Amie in person. The opportunity to loot the factory at 3 AM while everyone is passed out. Sounds like a plan to me.

C'mon - let's try and find reasons TO do this rather than to NOT do it.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 12:56 AM
Sounds good to me, but I couldn't take a day off work. I'd have to fly out of here Friday night or Saturday morning, and then leave the Great White North on Sunday, so my butt could be back in this seat by Monday.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 01:13 AM
After everybody crashes at your house Ray, I'll swing by with a 15 passenger van and haul us all up North!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 02:11 AM
I call shotgun....and I'll bring monkey bread
Posted By: Zarak Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 02:17 AM
Your place is on the way for me for a driving trip Ray. I would even have somewhere else I crash the night before, since the in laws are right around the corner from you.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 03:39 AM
OK, I've been staying out of this because it is a good drive, even from Iowa (can't complain too much since it isn't as far as Texas), but I guess I need to become more wild and crazy around here. I didn't get my name mentioned in BigJohn's list, man am I bummed... I think...

Sirquack, we could carpool. There is a guy in Altoona who let me listen to his Axioms right after I ordered mine. I wish I could remember his name. I don't think that he is on the board much anymore. I told him that I would invite him over when I got things set up, and I really want to hold up my end of the deal.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:28 AM
I can put people up in Toronto (or at the new house depending on timing) while they're not up at the picnic (eg. perhaps the first and/or last night), and can drive a few people up and back.

If the picnic is in Aug you can help me place and calibrate in the wacky triangular "HTIL" (Home Theater In a Loft).

There are a couple of weekends I already have booked, will try to dig up the dates tomorrow.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:44 AM
I'll make reservations at Johns now, before he has no vacancies. If ya need some help with the new house, I could get away for a few extra days.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 06:11 AM
Ray, I'm assuming it was a gross oversight on your part not listing my name among the outlanders. The offer makes the trip much more feasible. I've got quite a few miles logged on United, but even if I don't use frequent flier miles, a flight from SFO to ROC in mid-July -- when is this thing again??? -- is less than $400.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 10:54 AM
Amie, just PLEASE make it late enough in the summer to be past the mosquito & black fly infestations!!!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 12:36 PM
Yeah, I would say later is better too just to allow for the scheduling.
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 01:04 PM
Hmmm . . . speaking of flies . . . Ian is suggesting the first weekend after Labor Day / Labour Day. No bugs, a lot less people up here and hotel rooms are about 1/2 the price of July . . . Would anyone be able to come that weekend?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 02:41 PM
That September date sounds great. Also opens up the opportunity for frequent flier miles (fewer traveleres, less blackouts). I like it.

Pete (he said sheepishly) you have a PM.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 02:43 PM
Craig, if the "no day off work thing" is an issue, you could fly into Toronto rent a car and only incur a single over night. Somebody migh even be able to pick you up. The trip up could even be a Friday night redeye.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 03:27 PM
September sounds good to me, traffic should be "manageable" and you won't have too much snow.

Just kidding about the second part.
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 03:28 PM
My finances "should" be in order by then, so that date is GREAT for me.
And I will bring the Potato Salad.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 03:41 PM
AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH....... I just checked.

September 11 is the F1 race at SPA, can anyone guarantee me a television with TSN??????
Posted By: craigsub Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 03:49 PM
This could be fun. I was in Mississauga last night, and it appears that is only about an hour away from Axiom Headquarters ... A pretty easy drive !
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:02 PM
Hahahah - it'll be hard just to guarantee a television! It's pretty rustic up here!!
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:02 PM
Figure 2.5 hours from Mississauga - unless Ian is driving you.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:09 PM
Heh heh ... The way Canadians drive, and with me being in a 2005 Corvette ... can you recalculate this ?

Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:37 PM
About 38 minutes Craig.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 04:57 PM
In reply to:

It's pretty rustic up here!!

Does that mean no golf courses? There's several golfers among us... maybe a few of us would like to bring our clubs if there's any time?
Posted By: alou Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 05:06 PM
You can always practice by hitting a few horseflies into the lake. If I remember correctly, Ontario's horseflies are about the same size/weight as a golf ball.
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 05:15 PM
What about disc (frisbee) golf courses?? They're usually pretty rustic.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 05:20 PM
Dang...the weekend OF labor day would likely work out well, but the weekend of the 11th would be impossible. I've commited to being the captain of our 2005 Pacific Cup tennis team this year, and that's the last weekend prior to the event in San Diego. We've scheduled a team practice and party that weekend. I can't miss it.

It's also my birthday on the 11th! I would LOVE to have spent it at Axiom!

Posted By: JaimeG Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 05:21 PM
Did someone say golf? -- golf and Axiom picnic? ...now, this is an offer I can’t refuse
I’ll try my best to do my deferred Toronto vacation around the picnic date. …I’ll bring the Manchego cheese and cantimpalo chorizo. Who knows, maybe some rum too. jejeje.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 05:25 PM
anybody play poker? maybe you can get a table going.

i just might be able to win enough to pay for my plane ticket..

bigjohn
Posted By: Ajax Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 06:28 PM
Great avatar, Amie!

I've been trying to convince myself that it's just as well I'm unable to attend. Here's my latest attempt.

If I COULD attend, I'd just be sitting on Ian and Amie's dock night and day, with a pair of binoculars, trying to see in Shania's window's. She'd spot me, I'd be arrested, go to jail, and bring terrible embarrassment to all involved.

How's that? It's NOT helping.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 06:36 PM
this is the 3rd time shania has been mentioned.. did i miss something? does she live on the same lake? near your house amie?

ok, maybe i need to rethink this thing

my wife and i bought her mom and step-dad tickets to go see shania in lubbock last summer.. they were on the 6th row.. they both thought the show was fantastic, and jim said she is even more pretty in person than on TV. now thats saying a lot!!

sorry- back to the party..

bigjohn
Posted By: Ajax Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 06:56 PM
She lives just across the lake from Ian and Amie.

Another attempt at consoling myself:

I'd have a drink or two, and try to walk across the lake to Shania's. Jack Almighty! With my luck, I'd get half way across before I realized I'm not divine, and I'd drown.

STILL not working.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 06:57 PM
How about flyfishing?

Any local trout streams or rivers that need to be serenaded by Axiom toting anglers?

Never been to Canada or to the Northeast for that matter...furthest east I have been has been Virginia right over the state line in Tennesee.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 07:08 PM
If memory serves, the area has a fair number of golf resorts. Of course, that far north their 4 seasons are June, July, August and winter!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 07:17 PM
we have the same thing, just in reverse..

bigjohn
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 07:17 PM
Ray how long a drive is it from you?
Posted By: richeydog Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 07:20 PM
in reply to Jack:

Jack, you forgot to finish telling the story! After realizing your inability to stay afloat, Shania would dive in and rescue your pour soul. Then continue with a mouth to mouth session.....er resuscitation.
Posted By: alou Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 07:34 PM
Shania living across the lake is another you guys should NOT be skinny dipping!!! The poor woman may never sing again...and Mutt will resurect Def Leppard...hmmmm....
Posted By: player8 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 07:34 PM
My brother has been on stage with Shania and he said the same thing. She is a beautiful woman. Lucky SOB.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 08:48 PM
well i can contribute my not-yet world famous pulled pork barbeque, so long as there's a smoker up there (i'm not gonna haul my R2-D2 lookin' smoker all the way up there!! ) and because i'm such a nice guy, i'll bring my clubs and horrendous golf game for y'all to whupp up on. and i am sooooooo down for some Canadian fishing, i am about worn out of snagging carp here at work (literally, those suckers are heavy!) assuming my power plant's not in an outage...'cause then i'd have to work. and that would suck

bigjohn-i might even do some brisket, Texans don't have a lockdown on the 'cue ya know
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 09:00 PM
Hmmm . . . this golf course is just a short boat ride away from our dock, and uber-beautiful in September:

Bigwin Island

Gene DellaSala and his wife can tell you all about it . . .
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 09:03 PM
wow, i'm sold on the idea! that looks like a great course. i can't wait the shank balls into the woods there!
Posted By: stermarc Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 09:55 PM
>>that far north their 4 seasons are June, July, August and winter!

Or as they said in North Dakota when I lived there briefly "if summer falls on a weekend this year I'm going to have a Picnic (or substitute other outdoor activity)!

Posted By: bridgman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 09:59 PM
Not sure about rivers, but the lakes have lots of trout. I think Axiom is far enough north that you can still eat the fish.

We used to go camping and hiking at Killarney (same general area but a bit north-east) and pick up freshly caught trout at the dock each day to grill for dinner. Life was good.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 10:00 PM
Early September is great. IMO that is the finest time of year to be in Ontario.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 10:10 PM
OH AMIE! You had to post that link to a golf course. Ray will probably come for the picnic, but you're NEVER gonna see him.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 10:18 PM
Amie and Jack ... Ray and I will be on that course together ... Bigwin is now in my favorites. Ray - Those Red Tees look like YOU, my friend.

As for Jack, If Shania DID give him mouth to mouth, when Jack opened his eyes and saw THAT beauty in front of him, the excitement would kill you anyway ...
Posted By: alou Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 10:21 PM
In Canada, we have 2 seasons: winter and 4 months of bad hockey.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/08/05 10:58 PM
I was thinking that the drive from Iowa to Axiom was long, but we just got word that my wife's grandmother died and we may end up driving to New Jersey on Sunday for a Wednesday funeral. 16 hours in the mini-van with emotion filled in-laws... I am sympathetic, but I have a feeling it will just be a long, quiet ride.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 12:11 AM
In reply to:

If Shania DID give him mouth to mouth, when Jack opened his eyes and saw THAT beauty in front of him, the excitement would kill you anyway ...

LOL! Absolutely true. But, what a way to go! WOOF!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 12:19 AM
Jake - from here (Rochester) to Dwight is about a 5 - 5 1/2 hour drive. Assumes that the border crossing is quick.

Craig - don't knock the red tees. I play them when I want to feel ... MANLY. Plus, the golfers that hang out on the red tees are MUCH more attractive than on the men's tees.

I'll need to do a bit of research on the golf courses up there.

Jack - important footnote.
If we assume you follow Mike's plan and try the mouth-tomouth scam on Shania AND she doesn't take the bait AND you really do need mouth-to-mouth - you should expect some seriously bad news!!!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 01:36 AM
I'm in RI tonight, but had to sign on to see if there was any response to the "Golf Idea". All I can say is:
WOO HOO!!!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 01:42 AM
Nick,

Sorry to hear about your wife's grandmother man. Between my wife and I, we only have one grandma left. Tell your wife I'm sorry to hear about the sad news.

Your Iowa buddy,

Randy

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 04:41 AM
In reply to:

Jake - from here (Rochester) to Dwight is about a 5 - 5 1/2 hour drive. Assumes that the border crossing is quick

That's funny Ray.
Getting into Canada is a breeze.
Getting back home you had better be prepared for full body cavity searches, each and every one. The border guards are accepting nothing less nowadays.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 05:23 AM
US Border Guard = Port Fetish

Coincidence?
Posted By: craigsub Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 11:10 AM
Chesseroo ... I go to Canada every week, and it takes about 30 seconds going each way for the border guys to wave me through. So here is my helpful hit for you: DON'T get into a debate with the guy. They tend to not like that....
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 02:48 PM
"but, somebody make my chili recipe, it will be the 'hit' of the party. just dont spill any on the EP600's."

I think they should lay one on it's back and serve the Chili out of it!
While it's playing!
You could just hold your head over and get a face full!
;-O
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 03:11 PM
And I just got through the whole thread and that date in Sept is out for me.
Doubt I'll be able to convince my Sweetheart that Dwight Ontario is where we should be going for our Honeymoon!
But I'll send regards from Costa Rica!
(Hopefully while I have a Tarpon or Sailfish on the line!)
;-)

Posted By: bridgman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 03:52 PM
>>Doubt I'll be able to convince my Sweetheart that Dwight Ontario is where we should be going for our Honeymoon!

You've obviously never been to Haliburton in early September then, seriously. Agree that it wouldn't be wise to spend the whole trip at Axiom though...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 04:42 PM
You know Seabear, when my wife and i went on the Axiom Factory tour, it 'coincidentally' was also our weekend for our anniversimoon.
We spent a honeymoon on our first anniversary at this great little spa resort about an hour ten from Dwight. The weekend was fantastic, something for everyone. Not only did i get to meet the fine folks at Axiom, but i was so excited before getting there that i forgot all the questions i wanted to ask. In fact, i may have come off as somewhat quiet and/or possibly babbling, i'm not sure, i'll have to ask Amie. But after having left, i was talking about stuff the entire weekend. My poor wife's ears.
Of course the spa treatments, hot tubbiing and aromatherapy that followed was just a bonus. For my wife it was heaven (she was several months pregnant at the time).

Southern Ontario in the fall is truly amazing. The maples and birches all turn red and yellow and fall harvests are plenty bountiful.
Late summer blueberries, mmm.

Posted By: Zarak Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/09/05 08:25 PM
Hopefully this doesn't throw in a wrench for anyone, but the proposed weekend also happens to be opening weekend of the NFL season.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 12:34 AM
Hey guys...

Thought I'd throw in a request for the weekend after labor day. I know it doesn't work for Craig, but Labor Day doesn't work for me!

BTW, everyone knows that M50s are the best speakers.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 01:46 AM
In reply to:

Hmmm . . . speaking of flies . . . Ian is suggesting the first weekend after Labor Day / Labour Day. No bugs, a lot less people up here and hotel rooms are about 1/2 the price of July . . . Would anyone be able to come that weekend?

Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 11:32 AM
Well, no matter how nice it is up there in the Fall, my Sweetheart's qualifications for the Honemoon run something like this;
Beach
Tropical
Hot
Pool
Beach
Tropical
Hot
Pool
Funny Drinks with Umbrellas
Pool
Hot
More funny drinks
Beach

Non-Negotiable

;-)

Posted By: craigsub Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 01:18 PM
Seabear ... Take it from someone who has been happily married for 16 years ... learn, live and love these words:

"If the wife is happy, EVERYONE is happy" ...
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 02:29 PM
If it helps any, there are lots of beaches, pools, and I'm the queen of funny little drinks with umbrellas - I even keep the umbrellas in stock at all times!! LOL. 'Tropical' would be stretching it in September, though.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 04:27 PM
I told The Sweetheart about this discussion this morning, and she just laughs and walks away.
In my oh so perceptive opinion, I'm taking this as a solid "Don't you even THINK about it!"
Even the Umbrellas didn't convince her!
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 04:35 PM
The ultimate for me would be a two week Axiom picnic in Costa Rica.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/10/05 04:38 PM
I think THAT would be the Best of Both worlds!
Far be it for me to try and tell all you guys not to come to Costa Rica the week(s) of Sept. 5th - 15th!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/11/05 12:15 AM
Tom, you will need to memorize two responses. To insure a pain free married life, you MUST use one of these two responses to anything she says:

1) OK

2) You're right, I'm sorry

Trust me on this one!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/11/05 03:42 AM
You forgot,

"No honey you don't look fat in those at all"

Posted By: JohnK Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/11/05 06:02 AM
John, you mean that the correct response to "Do these make me look fat?" isn't "No dear, the fat makes you look fat"?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/11/05 01:06 PM
In reply to:

No dear, the fat makes you look fat

so i guess your goal is to NOT stay married.. at least not to whoever you say that to.

bigjohn
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 12:45 PM
In reply to:

To insure a pain free married life, you MUST use one of these two responses to anything she says:

1) OK

2) You're right, I'm sorry

funny that you mention that; i got to use that script when my wife found out i dropped $400 on a new set of golf clubs. only problem was we were out at the driving range when she found out, so only about 30 people got to hear me get my a$$ chewed! of course she did like the clubs
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 08:32 PM
So, just to clarify, if we moved it to the weekend after, the 17th/ 18th, more people would be able to come? Or same number? Or less?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 09:00 PM
Either is fine for me ( I can always tape the F1 race) although my attendance depends on the health of two family members. I may be limited to a one day drop in.

I'd hate to miss it as I'm pretty sure the 50th anniversary party is going to be an impossiblity for me
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 09:12 PM
17th/18th is even worse for me.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 09:40 PM
Anything but Labor Day for me. Of course, me trucking up to Canada is kind of questionable in any case (I really want to, but vacation time may prohibit), so I think Craig should probably win this one if it comes down to the two of us.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 09:47 PM
We're talking mid-september now, right? Earlier would be better, since my wife is due late October. As it stands now, she probably would NOT be coming along. Who'd be there to give her back rubs?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 09:49 PM
ummm....you?

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/12/05 09:53 PM
Oops. Left out a key word. (edited it)
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/13/05 03:44 AM
"To insure a pain free married life, you MUST use one of these two responses to anything she says..."

No, actually all you have to do is find a Sweetheart like I did!

While we were in Florida one of her girlfriends started complaining that her boyfriend had just spent $300.00 on a surround sound system for their livingroom.
Linda asked "What did he buy?" Sort of indredulously...
And when the girl started saying somthing to the effect of "Oh there are speakers on top of the TV and speakers on the walls..." Linda cut in with,
"No, I meant, what kind of CRAP did he buy for $300.00?"
Then she told them an approximation of what I have just bought, with a decent guess on what I had spent, and proceeded to tell them how happy she was with how happy it makes me!
That's My Girl!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/13/05 05:27 AM
In reply to:

Then she told them an approximation of what I have just bought, with a decent guess on what I had spent, and proceeded to tell them how happy she was with how happy it makes me!

Can we share?

Bren R.
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/13/05 02:34 PM
Regarding back rubs, that reminds me! It's SPA CENTRAL up here, if that helps convince your S.O.! Ian's favourite spa is the one on the snowmobile trail with a hot tub to wait in while I get pampered . . . And my fave new gift for baby showers is pregnancy massages, rather than the latest osh-kosh overpriced overalls!
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/14/05 01:40 AM
"Can we share?"

Not this one! No how, No Way!
But there is an ex somewhere that you are more than welcome to

Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/14/05 01:48 AM
In reply to:

Not this one! No how, No Way!
But there is an ex somewhere that you are more than welcome to

Oh, geez, thanks... got any gum you're not chewing anymore, too?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/14/05 02:10 AM
I've never understood why someone would get married again. If I am in that situation, I'll just find a woman I don't like and give her a house.
Posted By: Seabear Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/14/05 02:33 AM
I didn't give the last one the house, and as for this one, just see my previous post!
I swore for years I would never do it again, but I'm pretty sure I got it right this time.
And in case I didn't, this time it is her house;
And the Axioms will fit in the back of the truck, the truck will pull the boat, the Triumph can ride in the boat, and all of us will just head for Costa Rica!

Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 04/14/05 02:36 AM
In reply to:

I've never understood why someone would get married again. If I am in that situation, I'll just find a woman I don't like and give her a house.

Try being engaged to a divorce lawyer... she was joking once that her getting half would be a good starting point. I reminded her I have no conscience, a hammer and a pair of quiet shoes.

Bren R.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 09:38 AM
Amie, any progress on the date?

Just to add my $0.02 - Got confirmation that the closing date for the new house will be the weekend of Sept 17th, so obviously that weekend is out for us.
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 12:12 PM
I think we're set on the first weekend after Labour Day, September 10th, since making it a week later didn't add anyone else to the guest list.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 07:38 PM
Amie,
We've got it marked on the calendar. If we can get time away for the weekend, we might fly in.
Things are in a bit of flux right now. We shall see.

I haven't followed this thread exactly so excuse me if this has been asked, but are you planning any kind of prize giveaways, fun contests and perhaps some listening demonstrations for the Axiom lineup?
You know that Alan and Ian should at least conduct one or two blind listening tests for kicks! I bet if you told Ken to swim across the lake and back for some M80s, he would do it.

We certainly look forward to another visit.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 07:49 PM
All right already! I'll do my laps this summer! Geez.. everyone's on me about this...
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 08:35 PM
Well, hopefully the golfing doesn't take so long there isn't time for the picnic but yes, we promised things that you can only see if you sign our confidentiality clause, prizes, tours, double-blinds . . . maybe even a game of caps for 'Canadian content'!

Someone will definitely need to bring their webcam so we can have a streaming video moment for those who can't join in!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 08:37 PM
Gahhhh! My timing could not have been worse. Reality has started to set in, and my wife's 8th month of pregnancy will most likely prevent me/us from attending.

The fantasy was good while it lasted.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 10:30 PM
The calendar is marked. Failing death or dismemberment, I'll be there. Whether I'll fly or drive is up in the air... depends if Jets Go rises from the ashes again and drives down Air Canada's prices again.

Bren R.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 10:35 PM
Streaming webcam video?
Oh i can just see the fun in that.
Peter or Spiffnme will be sitting at home watching a webcam feed while the rest of us use the Axiom computers to send out new orders at random.
"Hey spiff, look at this. We just accessed your personal purchase info on file and we're ordering you a whole new set of 6-M80s and 4-EP600s and 2000 feet of cable. We're ordering Peter 101 pairs of FMBs. The shipping date says tomorrow."

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/06/05 10:38 PM
Bren, maybe we can get to meet in Ontario since our Winnipeg attempts haven't followed through.
Wouldn't that be ironic? Travelling 2000 km to meet someone 20 minutes away locally.

Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/07/05 03:32 AM
well i found out the plant's outage doesn't start till early october so i'm in. now i just gotta figure a way to tell the wife! and i'm off from that Thursday morning too. hmmmm i smell a road trip.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/07/05 05:45 AM
In reply to:

Bren, maybe we can get to meet in Ontario since our Winnipeg attempts haven't followed through.

I'm not carrying my M3s that far!

Seriously though... looks like I'll be flying once I got the reminder that it's a 20 hour drive, I have trouble sitting through a movie! Maybe grabbing the same flight and sharing a car rental would make some sense, though!

Bren R.
Posted By: freesey Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/11/05 09:32 PM
So...can I come? Im around 2 hrs from Toronto, and I guarantee a drunk picnic without a game of washerbox is simply ... a drunk picnic...without washerbox.

In case anyone is wondering - washerbox is THE game to play while hammered and in low light conditions.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/11/05 10:39 PM
Adam, I assume that this is the game that some refer to as washer toss? If I make it up, I'll bring my boxes!!
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 11:54 AM
What on earth is washerbox?
Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 01:16 PM
Redneck horseshoes?

Here is a site selling a commercially mfg game. Normally though, most people build their own boxes.

Photo 125

There are tons of variations. For example, we use 6 washers each instead of the 2 shown at that site.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 01:22 PM
In reply to:

What on earth is washerbox?

i assume they are talking about Washers. its a backyard game similar to horseshoes. its VERY popular in Texas.

EDIT- ah, wait.. ok, thats different than what we do, but same principal. we dont use the plastic boxes.. just 4" segments of PVC pipe dug into the ground. same idea, just different set-up. still fun, both ways i am sure.. a good beer drinkin time killer.

bigjohn
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 01:22 PM
Oh my!! Brent Tombari is FROM the Sault. He may be ready to take all comers - I'll find out!

We had a crazy 'Olympics' weekend here last September - 36 hours of competition. We competed for everything - to the nth degree - including a Kraft Dinner Cook-Off at lunch, Best Blender Drink at happy hour . . . it went on and on with every game imaginable and a very elaborate scoring system. It was then that I first discovered Lawn Darts are no longer sold in Canada. How weird is that?!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 01:26 PM
Lawn Darts = Injured Children...

bigjohn
Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 01:30 PM
Yep - ours are wood boxes made of 2x4's & plywood with a 3" pvc toilet flange in the middle.

Helluva lot of fun.

Posted By: real80sman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 01:36 PM
Best Blender Drinks, eh?

This is always a good start. Although, I do prefer it stored in the freezer, & drank straight.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 02:41 PM
Buttershots....?

that seems kinda weak for a "real 80s man"..?

try some knob creek bourbon.. or some patron tequila.. or some ron anejo anniversario rum. now THAT will get ya going!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 04:40 PM
Knob Creek in a blender drink? Hmmm . . . that would lead to wheelbarrow races accidents for sure!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 04:48 PM
Just before I read this, one of our clients that has "tractor" in the name called, so I read it as "tractor races accidents for sure!"

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 04:50 PM
in a blender.. on ice.. mixed with water.. straight up shot..

it dont matter, it all serves the same purpose!!

now i feel like dr seuss or something.

i do like knob creek in a blender..
i would drink it sitting on a fender..
i would drink it in a shot glass..
i would drink it with a large mouth bass..
i would drink it ice..
in fact, that would be quite nice...!

bigjohn
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 06:24 PM
That's perfect! Now we need a poetry contest, too! To go with the tractor races?
Posted By: richeydog Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 06:40 PM
From what I just read from Bigjohn, would it be safe to say no? I'll be sticking with the likes of Shakespeare,Poe,Dickinson....
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 06:46 PM
hey dammit!! Shakespeare was an alcoholic too, ya know!!

bigjohn
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 10:01 PM
Poe too! don't think he played lawn darts though...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 10:53 PM
I actually played almost an entire night of horseshoes last summer... never really played the game before, thought "it's throwing for accuracy... I played middle infield... just under 90 feet to 1st - how hard can throwing a metal "U" 40 feet be?"

Against farmers who have done this their entire lives? Pretty darned hard.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/12/05 11:08 PM
Horshoes is a great game, but I think I prefer bocce.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 03:38 PM
horseshoes are fun, still the best two summertime outdoor drinking games are belgian bowling & frisbeer. Some of you guys into frisbee-golf would love it. Best wintertime drinking game - curling no question!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 03:49 PM
FRISBEER!!!?

ok, i am curious..?

we do play a game on the disc golf course that involves drinking, but we dont really have a name for it. we just kinda made it up on a hot day, and we were thirsty..

its simple. basically everyone throws the hole, and you have to drink 1/2 a beer for every stroke you are behind the best score on the hole. so, someone shoots par 3, and you shoot bogey 4, you drink half a beer. you double bogey with a 5, you are drinking the whole beer! and we make you drink em before we tee off at the next hole. but trust me, on a HOT august afternoon, downing that much is not a prob.

fun time comes when we get to the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes.. all of those have water gaps, and someone always ends up splashing. and by that time, we are pretty tipsy anyway. many beers get chugged on those holes!!

bigjohn
Posted By: freesey Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 04:35 PM
Thats exactly how I made em Go Washerbox or Toss hahaha
Posted By: freesey Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 04:36 PM
Im a fan of Robert Frost myself
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 04:49 PM
Disc golf does sound like a lot of fun John, one thing i can be sure of is you won't get nearly as much exercise playing frisbeer.

I did a quick search for frisbeer on the internet and it seems that everyone plays it a little differently. So i will give you a quick and dirty on how my friends and i normally play it.

Start by putting two stakes in the ground, about 1-1.5" in diameter around 25 or 30 feet apart (hockey sticks work pretty well for this - and come in handy if you need to crosscheck someone during the game). They should be about low-chest, high stomach height. Then place an empty beer bottle on the top of the stake, right side up. The object is to knock the other teams bottle off the stake with the frisbee. If the bottle is knocked off, the defending team has to try and catch both the bottle and the frisbee before they hit the ground. Two players on each team, and you have to keep a beer in your hand at all time (so each player has only one available hand). Players have to stay behind the line - so no goaltending your own post.

Point scoring is where things really get weird. We usually play:
Offence
2 points for hitting bottle and knocking it off
1 point for hitting stake and knocking bottle off
Defense
1 point for catching both the bottle & frisbee before they hit the ground - and other team gets 0 points.

Game usually go to 15 or 20 points (sometimes less if we're really loaded as the aim tends to suffer).

Drinking rules are pretty open to interpretation, we usually make someone drink a "fair" amount when they get scored on.

Wow, that wasn't really quick at all....didn't realize there were that many rules to Frisbeer. Great alternative to just sitting around in lawn chairs drinking beer. The only warning i would make is be careful where you set the game up - if you are playing for a while, the grass can get pretty chewed up behind the stakes.
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 05:55 PM
<ahem> Is anyone else planning on trying this sport this weekend?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 06:47 PM
Now, Amie....
Are you afraid we'll embarass you?
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 07:59 PM
Thanks Scott, that sounds like fun.

John lets take our "Orcs".
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 08:11 PM
I'm the tiniest bit competitive, yes!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 08:17 PM
i was curious as to where the 'team' stands when they are trying to catch the bottle and frisbee? cause i know my friends, and if you stand in front, they will just start whippin those discs in there and try and hurt somebody..

bigjohn
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 08:43 PM
In reply to:

That's not what I meant.

I meant are you afraid that you're gonna end up with a crowd of drunk frisbee-throwers that'll reflect bad on you when the Twain/Langes call the police for too much noise on the lake?
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/13/05 09:52 PM
In reply to:

and are you talking about the frisbee or the drinking??
Posted By: Amie Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/14/05 12:58 PM
The advantage to being 25 km from the nearest town is almost nobody calls the police for party noise! And sadly, I am a total lightweight when it comes to drinking, which I make up for by getting good at the games in question! Of course, if we're starting with Frisbeer, I think lawn darts might be out . . .
Posted By: bridgman Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/15/05 03:14 AM
>>its simple. basically everyone throws the hole, and you have to drink 1/2 a beer for every stroke you are behind the best score on the hole. so, someone shoots par 3, and you shoot bogey 4, you drink half a beer. you double bogey with a 5, you are drinking the whole beer! and we make you drink em before we tee off at the next hole. but trust me, on a HOT august afternoon, downing that much is not a prob.

This sounds a lot like the University of Waterloo engineering rallies, where the navigator had to drink a beer at each checkpoint.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 05/16/05 01:55 AM
hey John,
little late on the response here:
In reply to:

i was curious as to where the 'team' stands when they are trying to catch the bottle and frisbee? cause i know my friends, and if you stand in front, they will just start whippin those discs in there and try and hurt somebody..

Each team is supposed to stand behind their stake. I guess you could figure there is an invisible line drawn on the ground through the stake at a 90 degree angle. Players shouldn't step in front of that line, keeps people from "goaltending" their post. I am not so sure that explains it very clearly....does it make any sense?
Could someone kindly summarize the 'details' of this event since the thread has become rather long.
  1. When is the set date?
  2. What general arrangements are available for an overnight stay? (e.g. campground nearby, next door, tents or trailer only?)
  3. Is this a one day, one afternoon, one evening, whole weekend kind of thing?
  4. How much food, liquor or other accessories should one bring?
  5. Will there be any blind testing trials for kicks?
  6. Are ppl willing to share a car/rental or gas from TO?
  7. Is Alan going to be available to play 101 questions?
  8. Should i bring my Epic 60 system or will Axiom have some on hand?
  9. Are there tours of the 'wall o sound' in the Colquhoun house of wood?
  10. Can we get pictures with Brent and the phone that is apparently glued to his hand?
  11. Will golf carts be available for scooting around the factory and general debauchery?

You know, the usual questions.

And, any list yet of who is confirmed for attending? Perhaps Shania from across the lake?
You did send her an invite no?
I have yet to venture into the thread on Aldo...
What general arrangements are available for an overnight stay? (e.g. campground nearby, next door, tents or trailer only?)
You will be set adrift in the lake in a fibreglas canoe to sleep it off, you drunken lugan.

How much food, liquor or other accessories should one bring?
All of it, you drunken lugan.

Are ppl willing to share a car/rental or gas from TO?
Actually, honestly, that would be cool for me.

Is Alan going to be available to play 101 questions?
No, but he plays a mean game of Red Light-Green Light.

Should i bring my Epic 60 system or will Axiom have some on hand?
Probably about a warehouse full.

Are there tours of the 'wall o sound' in the Colquhoun house of wood?
After all, I'd want 50 drunken lugans wandering around my house!

Can we get pictures with Brent and the phone that is apparently glued to his hand?
No. Brent is not allowed to leave the cordless phone range in case I have to call him at 8pm EST to order wire.

Will golf carts be available for scooting around the factory and general debauchery?
Yes, and they will be fitted with Lo-Jack systems... you drunken lugan.

Actually, why do I get the feeling not being much of a drinker will mean I'll be the one dragging the comatose off into the bushes and smearing them with peanut butter?

Bren R.
"Actually, why do I get the feeling not being much of a drinker will mean I'll be the one dragging the comatose off into the bushes and smearing them with peanut butter?"

Bren
I'm not much of a drinker either, so if I can make it there, I'LL BE GLAD TO HELP WITH THAT, uh.... chore.

Hi Chess:

1. Set for Saturday, September 10th
2. There are hotels, motels, resorts, spas, campgrounds . . . you name it, it is available.
3. We're thinking a one day / evening thing on Saturday
4. Hmmm . . . well, enough beer for Frisbeer - that'll be a personal skill thing . . .
5. You betcha!
6. See Bren
7. Alan'll be there!
8. A couple of speakers on hand, yes!
9. That would be a volume issue . . . one bathroom, a lot of excited people . . . BigJohn upsetting the neighbour . . .
10. Brent is attending in person! (Portable phone)
11. No Golf Carts!!!

No golf carts?
That's it!
Back to Winnipeg!!

Does anyone here know if they are attending for sure?
Just curious who might be showing up.
I believe i can get away for the weekend so i'm about 85% positive barring some unforeseen event (i have been caught once and almost twice in the airline bankruptcy issues).
Posted By: bray Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 06/08/05 04:09 AM
Sorry if its a completely stupid question but, does one need a passport to get into Canada for a long weekend?
I think the rules are the same as always...

"If you are an American citizen then you don't need a passport... birth certificate/drivers license will do. However, we may need to see a passport to be convinced that you are an American citizen".

I think we learned that one from US Immigration
Posted By: INANE Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 06/08/05 04:47 AM
I'm hoping for the webcam, pictures afterwards at least.

Spending tooooooo much money this year unfortuantely. Plus I'm already taking a road trip to Dallas for QuakeCon in August.

QuakeCon
In reply to:

Sorry if its a completely stupid question but, does one need a passport to get into Canada for a long weekend?

Well, security certainly is tight.....

CBC News Article

Warning, this story is not for the faint of heart.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 06/08/05 09:59 PM
Ahh, poor guy... his devil lock is flat.

Police are also on the lookout for the following:
The Misfits' Jerry Only
The Leningrad Cowboys
SCTV's Ed Grimley (I must say...)

Bren R.
Posted By: INANE Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 06/09/05 04:56 AM
ROTFL
yeah, what's up with that guy? you folks up north sendin' your psychos across the border?? we've got enough already thank you very much!
forget about the 'Leningrad Cowboys' hair, look at their shoes!!

bigjohn
So any conclusions yet on who is attending for sure?
Or will it be me and Amie and perhaps Bren all alone with the Axiom folk?
Um, can we somehow move Canada closer to Southern California?

Please?
You know Axiom tried that a couple of years ago and what happened was California started to sink into the earth.
So they gave up.
Sorry St Pat.

No problem, I'll just get some pontoons on the house and paddle up.
Well first you take a sharp easterly turn at the Port Coburn waterway, head up the great lake Ontario towards Toronto, but from there you may have to taxi.

Well I missed the Montreal F1 race (in my unbiased view the greatest racing experience on the face of the planet) so I'm hoping that I will be able to make the picnic.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 06/13/05 05:20 PM
I believe you mean "Port Colborne"
Indeed BB.
If you note, that post was made at 3:30am on a saturday following the aforementioned (in other threads) wine tasting dinner.
I was likely not all 'there' for at least several hours.

Posted By: BBIBH Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 06/13/05 07:39 PM
No, I did not look at the time...and rarely do I.

That is the danger of being as BrenR so eloquently phrased it " A drunken Lugan"???? LOL
is that someone who enages in the sport of luging in an intoxicated state?
Bren does have a way with words. So eloquent indeed.
ash- is that a break dancing chewbacca..?

hilarious.. it made me smile!!

bigjohn
Although I am still awaiting my axioms(doing my addition still) I am not as vocal as some of the regulars. Shoot my one post thread is here http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=67258&page=&view=&sb=&o= (although the logs will show I have gone through about 50% of your forums/website )
Although I did go with the ep500. I hope to meet some of the people I have read and learned about. Although I am hoping my addition will be finished then so I wont have to experience the Axioms for the first time.

As a note you might want to try and organize a place where everyone is staying... Makes getting back drunk sooo much easier If anyone wants to split from Ottawa let me know.

Andrew

Okay...Does anyone have a definitive list of who is going to be in attendance?

I am trying to figure out if I can afford it...

Would love to be there...not to mention, I have never been to Canada...

WhatFurrer
As much as I'd like to alter this reality, I cannot make it.
Peter, Too bad, I was going to introduce you to my favorite Cuban Cigars ...
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? - 07/06/05 06:31 PM
are the dates cast in stone? if so, what are they again? i've been too busy here with a merger and new computer system to visit here.
The thought of missing this rare opportunity to help prop up a communist regime is nearly enough to make me reconsider. If you had some Afghani opium, as well, I would be forced to attend.
I think the date was Sep 10 if i remember correctly

I'll be watching AC and Westjet websites closely for a cheap flight, so far $280 before fees pretty costly for a 2 day weekend.
I can't afford to do drugs. This is a real exchange I had with a friend a few years ago, when he tried to get me to try Cocaine:

Friend: "Craig, you've GOT to try this stuff, it is GREAT ! It will even enhance your personality !

Craig: "You already think I'm an a$$hole, why would you want to enhance that ?"

As for propping up a dictatorship, I look at this as giving the Cuban people a taste of pure capitalism, and hope for a better future through freedom....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 07/06/05 07:42 PM
Looks like we're going to be going to Europe instead of Canada. So if the date is flexible, ignore me!
Oh, I agree. That's where the libertarian comes through, eh? I'll smoke what I damn well please!
Wait a second, you put a sad face in the same line as "going to Europe"? [slap slap] Snap out of it!
yeah, no lie! Ken, make sure to swing by Belgium. oh yeah, and bring us back some beer while you're at it!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Who'll Bring the Potato Salad? Attendance? - 07/07/05 12:05 AM
Well, my wife just started talking about it... I caught her looking at the Eurail site. I knew she wanted to go, I just wasn't expecting it this fall (just after the Mexico trip!)
"I'll smoke where I damn well please" ... yep, And there is a store about 90 minutes from the Axiom Factory (well - if the rumours are true, 60 minutes for Ian) which will quietly ship Cubans to the U.S.

note the queen's English spelling for rumours, too ...

I will be ordering them. And laughing at Washington after each exquisite puff.
© Axiom Message Boards