Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 04:43 PM
Imagine yourselves as if you were selling Axiom speakers, but you could only have ONE disk to use as potential customers came into your ‘store’ to audition speakers.

What disk would you use? Not your ‘favorite’ artist or your favorite disk, but one that is recorded very well, has plenty of “things” that sound better on a set of detailed speakers such as these.

For example, some of the tracks on Spif’s last disk he sent me has some amazing sounding “things” on it that I would have never in a million years heard, because I just don’t listen to that type of music. So I’m wondering what I’m missing. Plus, when friends drop by and what to “listen”, I really don’t know what to put on for them.

The best thing I can come up with in my collection is Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I’m not a big Pink Floyd fan, but this CD just sounds cool.

So, please give me some ideas for an Amazon order today.

OH, this is for stereo only......without a sub.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 04:48 PM
K-TEL "The car went beep beep beep"
Posted By: medic8r Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 07:37 PM
I like Mark Knopfler, "Sailing to Philadelphia" for guitar and vocals. As a bonus, James Taylor sings along on the title track. Sounds awesome. I'm still looking for something to show off bass and drums.
Posted By: Wid Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 07:49 PM
In reply to:

I'm still looking for something to show off bass and drums

Some ZZ Topp works pretty good for that imo.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 07:55 PM
Rick, I like your taste in music.
Posted By: Wid Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 08:12 PM

Thanks, I'm sure yours don't differ to much from mine.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 08:15 PM
Just a little less hairy.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 09:35 PM
Speaking of hairy, I was listening to "Hair of the Dog" by Nazerath the other night, sounded great on my 60's/500 combination...
Posted By: Wid Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 09:41 PM

I have that one too, it does sound pretty good on the Axioms.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 10:00 PM
Hey that reminds me of a CD I’ve lost long ago and don’t remember what it was. Maybe you guys know. It was Nazerath’s lead singer’s first solo album. Maybe even his only solo album. Know what it is?

I’ve got that Mark Knofler CD. I have all of his, and Dire Straights to boot. I enjoy them all quite a bit.

Another really good album that I wouldn’t have ever bought, but ended up buying for the girlfriend a couple weeks ago is James Blunt, Back to Bedlam. She got infatuated with the guy when she was going to culinary school in England last year. Now I have him to compete with along with my sub woofer. I just can’t win! But, it really is a good CD. I just son’t let her know that.

Posted By: HomeDad Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/01/06 10:15 PM
For $100 was it Into the ring? I believe he made two solo albums about ten years apart.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/02/06 01:27 AM
Spiff's disc has proven to have some staying power, huh?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/02/06 03:14 AM
Of all the mix CDs I received, it was definitely the most "not like the others" to quote Sesame Street. I like it.
Posted By: Merkaba Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/02/06 02:17 PM
Roger Waters - "Amused to Death"

I am in love with this album. You and your speakers have to be placed correctly to enjoy the full effects of the QSound mix though. LOTS of "things" to hear, and they happen all around you. I also enjoy the music and find Jeff Beck's solos to be excellent.

One album that I want to get is Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue." This is an Audiophile favorite, and there's even a drum solo (Track "Nardis").

Jon
Posted By: Wegiz Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/02/06 11:38 PM
When I really want to impress someone, or just remind myself just how good these speakers really are, I pop in Hotel California off of the live Hell Freezes Over Tour CD. It always puts a smile on my face and sounds good even when played really loud. I think it would make an excellent auditioning CD.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 01:35 AM
The best CD demo disc I have heard is a ....CD demo disc. I got it from a salesman when I was auditioning B&W 703s just prior to my purchase of my former Axioms. {smile}

There are 21 sample cuts ( about 2 minutes each) of a wide range of styles and artists. A really interesting and enjoyable CD.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 08:36 AM
I had a blast making that mix cd. I think we should have another round of mix swaps. What do you say?

Though this time I'm going to burn some copies and send out only those I've already got burned. I think I cheated a couple people last time around and never got some sent out.

Who's up for it?

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 12:50 PM
In reply to:

I think I cheated a couple people last time around and never got some sent out.

I think I cheated everybody in that I never even made my disc to send out!

Believe me, it's still on my list of "things to do" though, and I haven't forgotten it! I had three issues that have messed it up:

--All of my CDs were in no order whatsoever and on a bunch of 100-disc spindles (until recently);

--I was highly embarrassed that so many of you have great, eclectic tastes in music and mine seemed positively boring/mundane. It really made me feel like I have to stretch to some "different" discs to come up with something worthy!

--and finally, a general lack of free time (which has improved in the last couple of weeks).

So....yes... I'm up for another swap. It'll force me to make two mixes!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 04:28 PM
Hey Spiff,

I really liked your disks. Maybe I should rephrase that. The tracks sound wicked cool on the M80’s. I have no idea who the artists are, and would have never, never have bought them. But I’m glad you took the time to make them and send me copies as they make me appreciate how good these speakers really are.

I’ll be getting another set of speakers in a couple weeks and am looking for some disks so that I can compare the two sets. I want to make sure I play the right tracks to do an honest comparison between the speakers. Hence the original question.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 04:41 PM
Dude, I think I've got mundane tastes in music, and I managed to get one out there. Don't worry about it, send the disks!
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 06:57 PM
In reply to:

I think we should have another round of mix swaps.

Count me in...
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 07:56 PM
I'm curious...what kind of cd's do you all swap? Just audiophile quality, or just some of your favorites from your collections?
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 08:25 PM
Don’t know; I remember seen the cd swap thread a few months ago but I did not participated.
I presume it’s just burning cds w/ music you like and think other would enjoy too, regardless of quality ...sound like fun and cool way to being introduced to new music.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 09:18 PM
exactly.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 10:02 PM
I wouldn't mind joining in. Does anyone care for electronic music? That would be the majority in my collection if anyone is interested. I love making compilations for people, but the problem is that no one really likes them!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 10:23 PM
I've always wanted to branch out into electronica. This would be a great way. Easy on the wallet! Count me in - I also could share some eclectic stuff with folks.
Posted By: jimmienorton Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 10:36 PM
I would like to join in, I love to hear new music and meet new people. I dont know if anyone likes The Cult but they are starting to tour again. They are right up at the top of my list, very close to Pink Floyd.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/03/06 11:50 PM
I could be persuaded to lend an ear
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 01:12 AM
I like a good bit of electronica. I'm still awaiting another release from the Propellerheads. I think I'd better not hold my breath though.

OK...sounds like people are interested. I'll start making a mix tonight. Then I'll burn a bunch of copies. THEN I'll offer them up. First come, first served. After the first batch is gone there's no promises I'll make more, even if I say I will. (learned my lesson last time!)

Posted By: sonicfox Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 01:46 AM
OK, well I guess there's enough people interested in an electronic disc (beware...there's going to be a few strange songs included!), so I'll start making mine as well. I'll let you know when it's done. I have a hard time choosing the "right" songs, so it might take me awhile.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 02:09 AM
Great! I’m particularly not very knowledgeable of electronica music ... it’s going to be interesting.
I started putting-together my cd, if anyone is interested. My taste in music is all over the place, so will be the cd :P

~Jaime

Posted By: JaimeG Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 03:18 AM
[Not sure if replying to my own post is good forum etiquette…jeje]
Alright , after several wine glasses, a beer and some discussion w/ the missus regarding song selections my CD mix is done, PM if anybody want a copy. spiffnme please, save a copy of your for me… I’ll PM w/ my addr.

~Jaime

Posted By: medic8r Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 05:22 AM
In reply to:

[Not sure if replying to my own post is good forum etiquette…jeje]

Sure it is! Happens all the time. Great way to kick up your number of total posts and progress through the ranks...
Posted By: medic8r Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 05:24 AM
...see?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/04/06 05:29 AM
...now I'm an enthusiast! Alright, I'm done.

Off topic, I'll be posting a HT in progress thread if I can get the time. It is competing with my 6-month old son's photo gallery website, and the little guy is so cute that he has to win.

Although this Epic 80 system camping out in my dining room begs to differ.
Posted By: DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/08/06 07:32 AM
I would use Steely Dan's Gaucho on vinyl.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/08/06 03:03 PM
Yeah, but then you'd have to listen to Steely Dan.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/09/06 02:14 AM
I finally got around to listening to the new Nickelback I bought a couple weeks ago, and am so far, I’m very impressed with this CD. I’ve always liked this group (way back before they were in the charts), but have been disappointed with the recordings of their CD’s. They all are fatiguing to me. Not this new one though. They’ve also gone back to their original sound a bit. Great drums and lots of guitar where you can actually hear different notes/strings.

If you like Nickelback, definitely get this one.

Posted By: Wid Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/09/06 02:37 AM
I'm listening to that disc right now. I agree it's a really good cd and it sounds great at over 100db .
Posted By: jimmienorton Re: Best auditioning CD for Axioms? - 03/09/06 11:19 AM
I saw them at the Nascar race in Richmond last fall.
© Axiom Message Boards