AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
2 registered (Ken.C, J. B.), 107 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22822 Topics
403193 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17739
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11136
MarkSJohnson 10830
Meanwhile On Facebook

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Friday the 13th . . . oooooh! Who's your favorite Slasher flick character?

Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#403790 - 05/02/14 09:48 PM Re: M100 v4 NEW purchase. ***** [Re: Ian]
BapchaMan Offline

System:
a. FLAC files on a Logitech Transporter (was Slim Devices)
b. Ayre K5-xe-MP preamp
c. 14B SST amplification
d. Self-built cables (bi-wired to the speakers)
e. M80-v3 circa Dec 2012 or M100 v4 circa two days ago

Thanks much for your help guys. Some more info. The rooms in my place (fortunately) are fairly large. I now have an A/B setup so I can check the two. Yes, I did equalize the volumes to a certain extent. All of the vortexes are open.

More observations:
a. The M80s are more efficient than the M100's (fewer drivers should help, the sensitivity now depends on the crossover)
b. The tweeters on the M100 are supposedly better, but the attack, decay and general quality of treble (including cymbals, wire brushes) seem superior on the M80-v3
c. Yes, the bottom-line bass on the M100 is indeed superior
d. I placed the speakers at least 36" from the back wall, 2' from the side walls, and toed them in a little (about the same on both sides - don't know the angle, but maybe 5 degrees?

Observations:
1. Like yesterday, if I say in the same room as the music system, the M80s are far superior - sound quality, attack, decay and IMAGING. The m100s have seriously muddled imaging
2. Go to the next room, and put a half wall between the speakers and me, and this is NOT intuitive - the IMAGING of the M100s gets really sharp. The M80's - get muddled and are not sharp!!!!
3. I listen to most of my music walking around, but when I want to listen critically, I do not want to go to the next room over.
4. M100's imaging is AWESOME with fewer instruments. What I said above regarding imaging applies to a large orchestras.

Some of this makes sense, most of it does not (to me).

THANKS!!!!!
Bapcha

Edited by BapchaMan (05/02/14 10:17 PM)
Edit Reason: I DID NOT COMPLETE THE POST

#403796 - 05/03/14 12:57 AM Re: M100 v4 NEW purchase. [Re: Ian]
brwsaw Offline
aficionado

Just curious, how far away are you sitting from them?
Not sure it will help but they posted some interesting numbers here. They may not relate to your room but it might be worth the effort.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...tion-event.html

The M100 and their positioning is reviewed in the second post.

Edited by brwsaw (05/03/14 12:59 AM)

#403802 - 05/03/14 05:17 AM Re: M100 v4 NEW purchase. [Re: BapchaMan]
Ian Offline
President
aficionado

Your M80v3s are a little over one year old so they have the v4 crossovers. This means you are in the same family of products from a family of curves perspective (M80, M80HP, and M100) all v4. But given your large space and powerful amplifier you are going to be able to fully utilize the advantages of the M100 with its much more powerful low frequency max SPL.

Due to the higher mass of the individual bass drivers the M100 will be slightly less efficient than the M80 regular version. This will affect the A/B results outside of the expected differences in the bass region as you are not quite at equal level. There is also the position to take into account. I would suggest disconnecting the wires from all the speakers and flipping their positions so the M80s are where the M100s are now and vice versa. Hook the wires back up so what is now A becomes B. You will still have that slight efficiency difference with the M80s playing slightly louder than the M100s but you can try to adjust for that with a small movement of the volume knob.

At the end of the day though you may be better to just put the M100s in the position that they sound the best and spend a few weeks just listening to them in your normal way; then draw your conclusion at the end. Without an exact level match and a blind screen A/B testing is a tough thing to garner results from.

The overall performance should be quite similar in most respects between the M80 and the M100 but with a big gain in the low frequency area with the M100s, especially at higher volume.

#403812 - 05/03/14 01:31 PM Re: M100 v4 NEW purchase. [Re: Ian]
BapchaMan Offline

Many thanks Ian. I will try out your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Bapcha

Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27

Moderator:  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.