AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (Socketman), 136 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13323 Members
11 Forums
22900 Topics
404649 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10903
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407779 - Yesterday at 08:22 PM Re: Lets plan a theater space [Re: Serenity_Now]
Serenity_Now Offline
local

Loc: PEI, Canada
From the couple books I have read:

Below 200-300hz the walls become less effective at blocking sound transmission. Room modes are thought to be augmented by bulking up walls, as you allude to, but they are best dealt with by dimensions and bass trapping. Planning on a single flimsy wall and beefing up others unfortunately is pouring money down the drain. frown

Square rooms are best set up in a corner firing along the diagonal. Parallel boundaries are bad news. But all in all, best avoided.

Curious to hear what square room folks have to say.

#407780 - Yesterday at 09:16 PM Re: Lets plan a theater space [Re: Serenity_Now]
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Loc: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Planning on a single flimsy wall and beefing up others unfortunately is pouring money down the drain. frown

For what it's worth, I wasn't recommending beefing up the other walls to deal with room modes -- it's likely to happen anyways (based on where the thread is going) in order to provide some soundproofing and I figured it might be possible to get a free ride from that work...

... I was hoping there might be an interior wall where soundproofing could be skipped, reducing the impact of the room modes. Then again if it's a full blown HT build it might be possible to add some serious bass trapping without adding a serious pile of ugly in the process.

Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Curious to hear what square room folks have to say.

They mostly get snippy with me for outing them grin

Edited by bridgman (Yesterday at 09:25 PM)

#407781 - Yesterday at 09:27 PM Re: Lets plan a theater space [Re: bridgman]
Serenity_Now Offline
local

Loc: PEI, Canada
Originally Posted By: bridgman
I have this crazy idea that you should soundproof three of the walls and leave one untreated so your room *acts* rectangular even if it's actually square.

blush sorry I assumed thats what you meant. Oh the interwebs... grin

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.