AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (exlabdriver, CV), 60 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13328 Members
11 Forums
22918 Topics
405141 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13340
CV 11236
MarkSJohnson 10939
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407965 - 11/05/14 12:52 PM Re: M3 In-Ceiling Loudspeakers [Re: CV]
Serenity_Now Offline
local

Loc: PEI, Canada
Man I wish I could have been there!

I guess you are right. For that price it better have been outrageously good. Do you recall their ATMOS config? Angled?

#407967 - 11/05/14 03:43 PM Re: M3 In-Ceiling Loudspeakers [Re: CV]
nickbuol Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Marion, IA
Honestly, I do not. It was a dark room with about 24 seats in it. They had a number of products on display outside the listening/watching area that were well lit, but used flashlights to show people to their seats. You couldn't even see the main speakers until they shined the flashlights on them.

I do, however, know that the speakers were "outside" the listening area, meaning that *IF* they were pointing straight down, they would be pointed at empty carpet, and not directly over someone's head. So either they are REALLY wide dispersion, or they were angled. I know this because they were put on to a shiny metal truss system that you could see. It was at least 2-3 feet to the front, back, left, and right of the seating area.

While I can't imagine it NOT being angled inward, it would just be my speculation and not hard fact because, like I mentioned, I couldn't actually see the speaker angle, although I could just barely make out where they were located on the truss system.

#408175 - 11/19/14 08:42 PM Re: M3 In-Ceiling Loudspeakers [Re: CV]
rprice54 Offline
old hand

Loc: North Georgia
I finally got a chance to test these. For stereo sound, obviously, they aren't s great choice for 2.0 listening. As a non- ported speaker, with a much smaller cabinet than the full blown M3 they are a bit thin sounding. They would be great in a 2.1 setting though. Very clear and crisp. Great imaging, which should serve me well for Atmos. My AVR (Marantz 7009) set the crossover for these at 100, my on wall M3s were set to 60 by Audessey.

I haven't had a full blown Atmos movie yet, but the Atmos demo disc and using Dolby Surround (Desolation of Smaug, at the end in the mountain with all the falling coins and running from Smaug) has been nothing short of impressive. I also recommend the bonus short from the Frozen 3D blu ray. Mickey flies a plane around the room and it's just crazy.

These sound seamless with my other Axiom speakers. I wouldn't use them as LCR but wouldn't hesitate to use them as surrounds or tops. With door and stud placement in my room I couldn't use them as surrounds- thus the on wall M3s.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.