AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (Ian, J. B., bridgman), 118 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22875 Topics
404243 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17768
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11194
MarkSJohnson 10878
Meanwhile On Facebook

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by bridgman @ 33 minutes 33 seconds ago

Bah. There's an old saying along the lines of "experience is what protects us from doing stupid things... and doing stupid things is how we gain experience". I put a coat of varathane on the stands last night but it didn't warm up the col
Home Theater
I'm almost wondering if I don't get the in ceiling M3s all around now for surrounds as well as opposed to the in wall M3s. Having all speakers the same couldn't hurt. I'm hoping to A/B compare my outdoor M3s to my ceiling M3s this week. Best comparis
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: So who did ya see in concert last night? by Murph @ Today at 09:17 AM

Friday night a group of us went out for a light Supper at The Old Dublin Pub and then it was off to the PEI Shellfish Festival where we enjoyed samples of shellfish in all sorts of manner. What we went for primarily though was Celtic rock band "
What's New At Axiom
Jump to new posts Re: Designing The Axiom Airplay Speaker by wschwartz @ Today at 07:53 AM

Speaking of UPnP, I hope you will make certain that this feature is *not* exposed to the public internet, but instead strictly limited to the local network. Steve Gibson of grc.com provides perhaps the best advice (https://www.grc.com/su/UPnP-Rejecte
What's New At Axiom
Jump to new posts Re: Designing The Axiom Airplay Speaker by jmone @ Today at 06:43 AM

Andrew, the specs look good! Regarding your planned DLNA/UPnP implementation will it support: - gapless playback (SetNextAVTransportURI), and - For Synchronised Playback (Whole House / Multi Device) and you using the V2 DLNA additional expanded guid
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by bridgman @ Today at 12:28 AM

This pic shows the room layout a bit better. This is taken from the extreme left of the masonry heater, using the chimney to stabilize the camera. You can see all the sound-absorbing stuff on the right wall -- 4" Safe'nSound in the wall-moun
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by bridgman @ Yesterday at 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: brwsawMaybe a mirror behind the LH speaker? Interesting idea. I think I have a big mirror somewhere in the basement, will give it a try. I had been thinking that there probably wasn't much difference in reflectivity between dry
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by bridgman @ Yesterday at 11:32 PM

Hmm, good question. I'll experiment a bit and post back. It didn't center the phantom image as much as center the "cloud of spaciousness" if you'll forgive the lame expression. Bit of background. The listening area is now on one side of
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: M3 In-Ceiling Loudspeakers by brwsaw @ Yesterday at 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: nickbuolFYI. General statement but, "Atmos Enabled" speakers are actually manufactured to meet a higher set of specifications specifically for Dolby Atmos than regular speakers mounted in/on your ceiling. Not that yo
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: Lets plan a theater space by bridgman @ Yesterday at 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Serenity_NowI could probably move the ceiling cloud back as far as I like. There will be no direct overhead lighting to compete with for space/shadows. I just have to ensure the position wont conflict with the tentative locati
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: Lets plan a theater space by Serenity_Now @ Yesterday at 08:58 PM

I could probably move the ceiling cloud back as far as I like. There will be no direct overhead lighting to compete with for space/shadows. I just have to ensure the position wont conflict with the tentative locations of future ATMOS speakers. I p
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by Serenity_Now @ Yesterday at 08:40 PM

Question for you. When you added the roxul centered behind the speakers, it centered the phantom image better for you I understand, an overall improvement in image specificity. Did it have any effect on the depth of the soundstage? Ie did it make
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: Lets plan a theater space by bridgman @ Yesterday at 07:13 PM

Sounds like you're making great progress -- even the annoying details ("ow, my head") are getting solved. Making the couch shorter is the kind of idea that would never have occurred to me I'll just mention one more option for the window
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: Lets plan a theater space by Serenity_Now @ Yesterday at 05:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I've always loved the planning aspect of all my hobbies. Figuring stuff out is always half the fun. It's kind of hard not to shoot big. You guys have made some pretty inspirational rooms to follow along with others. I
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: Lets plan a theater space by nickbuol @ Yesterday at 09:41 AM

The renders look nice. You mentioned the rope lighting around the room. Honestly, it pretty much never gets used anyway. As for Atmos and the "Dolby market share" at home, with most studios going with DTS-HD Master Audio, I agree. H
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: So NOW I'm a real Axiom owner... by Boomzilla @ Yesterday at 06:43 AM

Hi exlabdriver - Today's tube equipment is deliberately designed to have less "tube sound" than did products of old. Therefore, differences ARE more subtle - typically a bit more soundstage width/depth and a touch of "lushness"
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: On-wall speakers for large room by Philippos @ Yesterday at 03:53 AM

Ah, and what about combining M3s and M22s in the same room?
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: On-wall speakers for large room by Philippos @ Yesterday at 03:50 AM

Thank you both for the replies. Yes, listening distance will usually be around 3 meters, so the M3s will be an affordable solution. Do they also handle vocals well?
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: Lets plan a theater space by brwsaw @ Yesterday at 01:34 AM

Looks good, very nice. Congrats Having your equipment outside the room lowers the noise floor.
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by brwsaw @ Yesterday at 01:25 AM

Maybe a mirror behind the LH speaker?
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: So what are ya listening to tonight? by bridgman @ Yesterday at 01:21 AM

Curved Air's new album -- North Star. Current albums from 60s and 70s bands have generally seemed pretty tired to me, but this one is like they just picked up where they left off 40 years ago, with all the good bits intact. Kirby Gregory is back on g
Hearing Things
Jump to new posts Re: Stupid Room Tricks by bridgman @ 09/20/14 11:47 PM

... and yes, since that photo was taken I *did* move the electronics a few inches to the left so they would line up with the coffee table and the rockwool panel against the window. http://www.roadkilltshirts.com/I-HAVE-CD...INK-P13513.aspx
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: On-wall speakers for large room by bridgman @ 09/20/14 10:53 PM

We're supposed to be metric here in Canada but I still think in feet so... 13 x 26 x 10 feet. Seems to me that 4 on-wall speakers (M3s or M22s, I would probably lean to M3s) should be fine for mostly-jazz listening (I'm interpreting that as *not* wal
Stereo
Jump to new posts Re: On-wall speakers for large room by JohnK @ 09/20/14 10:48 PM

Philip, welcome to Axiom. Although the total volume of a listening room is of some significance, by far the most important factor is the distance of the listening position from the speakers. A room doesn't have to be "filled" with sound at
Home Theater
Jump to new posts Re: vp150 ok with m100s? by bridgman @ 09/20/14 08:53 PM

One more possible thing to consider -- I found that after treating first reflection points the system seemed to be more tolerant of less-good recordings. If you're oriented on the long wall then the side FRPs are probably OK but think about floor/c
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.