M3ti vs. Paradigm Atom
#1175 01/25/02 09:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How would they compare? Who wins the budget champ of the year?

Re: M3ti vs. Paradigm Atom
#1176 01/26/02 12:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How timely....I just returned from a visit to a friends audio store. We were listening to several Paradigm models (Atom, Titan and Mini Monitor and Monitor 3). He also had a pair of trade in M3ti (scuffed finishes, acoustically good) and we listened to them all. I must say this is the first time I have heard the "little fellas" and can honestly say they were superior to all but the Monitor 3 models. The soundstage was more accurate, the depth was better, and the bass seemed, well more realistic. If I was in need of speakers, I would have bought them....in fact I might anyway! I probably could assemble yet another system with them!

Anyway, I need to tell you my buddy did not care as much for them, rating only the Atom as lacking. But hey, he has to sell them!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1177 01/30/02 10:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't I feel silly. I finally got the chance to listen to both in the same room. The M3ti (these were not the SE's) were MUCH better overall. The M3ti's had a much clearer midrange and more natural sounding extreme highs. These seemed to dip a little lower in the bass too.
The Atoms could play louder without breaking up and had a warmer balance. But I felt like I was missing some top-end energy with the Atoms.
I'm buying a pair of M3ti's. I now know what all you people have been talking about.

#1178 01/31/02 04:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Our work here is done Batman....on to right another wayward stereo buff!!!

To the Batmobile.......

Regards,

BBIBH

#1179 02/08/02 12:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I forgot to thank you for the reply.
Strange how taste can differ, at the time a heard the m3ti and Atom's I also gave the Monitor 3 a go. I thought the Axiom M3ti and Atom's were both better than the Monitor 3's. The Monitor3's had very lose, sloopy bass. IMHO

#1180 02/08/02 02:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You are more than wlecome. What are friends for huh? ;)

You may in fact have heard the traits. As humans, none of us has the same capabilities, and as we age, or bodies change. For that fact alone, we all preceive things differently. Hence the subjective nature of this hobby.

Another factor is the equipment used to demonstrate the speakers. I must admit that we did not use typical equipment to audition $500 range speakers. The system we connected the Axioms and Paradigms to had speaker cables worth several times the speaker prices....not to mention the cost of the Classe amps and YBA CD player. We probably had about $20k of equipment driving $500 speakers. Overkill to say the least, and not representative of a listener who would be buying these speakers to use with. However, I can defintiely say that these pieces bring out the best, and worst in products.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1181 02/19/02 05:40 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I couldn't stand the Paradigm Atom v.3s (same as v.2) that I bought recently, so after a few days I returned them. On my gear, they are quite thick and opaque. Warm, yes. Detailed and transparent, no. I didn't go for their sound, that's all. I'm considring Axiom speakers.

#1182 03/08/02 11:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The M3ti speakers were purchased for use in my home office system, SONY DD receiver, SONY DVD-CD, MP3's and computer audio. I was using my pair of Boston Acoustics CR8c 's I connected the Axiom's to the B-ch so I could A/B compare the two sets. The Axiom's have quite a different sound than the BA's they were a bit light on bass with out some readjustment of the receiver settings. In direct comparison, Bass it's there, just not nearly as pronounced as the BA's yet more detailed and tight, it is not riding over the rest of the sound, on the BA's bass seems to ride into everything making it seem heavier sounding, but not muddled. Axioms, good imaging, soundstage, transparency. I like the sound of both pairs. The BA's have a big rich sound, the mids sound just a bit smoother, heavier bass. The Axiom's are a pleasure to listen to because of the amount of detail you can hear in a good recording.
I like the blues in music. Excellent song to hear the Axiom's detail, Junior Wells' Everybody's gett'n m'some / Use me up. Great song for comparison between these two sets. Of course the BA's sound good but the Axiom's have one sweet delivery allowing you to very clearly pick out any individual instrument and follow it without being lost down in the mix . . Vocal, Bass line, Lead guitar, Rhythm guitar, Drum set, etc.
I still have to try these out on my Outlaw 1050 - Marantz MM9000 combo, If they sound good now - SONY's amps have always sounded a bit "muddy" to me, they sould sound even better with the Outlaw !
I'll A/B them somtime on this system.
At 1/2 the price of the BA's these Axioms are certainly worth a look see. BTW, "B-stock" ??? Perfect cabinetry, one of the binding post lock nuts looks like it might have a small nick on it. Of course it could be something under the cover but it's not obvious.

#1183 03/09/02 03:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I now own both the Atoms and the 3ti se.
Here is how they differ:
1. The 3ti has clearer less congested midrange.
2. The Paradigms have much more guts, slam and drive.
the Atoms are better rock speakers.
3. The Axioms have more treble energy. You will need
to turn the treble up on the Atoms to hear the highs.
4. The Atoms image much better the Axioms. The Atoms have a holographic sound that can amaze you.
The Axioms are boxy side by side.
5. The Axioms fall apart when played loud. The Atoms just hum along without sounding strained.

Which one is best?
Well, its a matter of taste but if very clear (you are there) midrange is most important to you then I would buy the Axioms. Otherwise the Atoms are the way to go.
I recently invited four friends over to listen to these two speakers....they all liked the Atoms best.
I think I like the 3ti best...but only by a hair...and not with loud rock.

#1184 03/09/02 04:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I forgot, I wanted to leave a note for Ian. If you could combine the great mids of the 3ti with the holographic imaging and bass SLAM that the little Atoms have you would REALLY have something.
But, the 3ti is a great product for the price. I'm keeping my pair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters