Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Ceiling Speakers with Similar Timbre?
#135694 04/16/06 06:25 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I guess I could ebay mine and order new ones "just" to please my bride.

#135695 04/17/06 06:32 PM
devotee
devotee
If you absolutely had to come close, I would recommend the Monitor Audio in CP in-ceiling speaker. Perhaps the price might dissuade her. Locally they are about $1300.00 CDN for a pair.

#135696 04/20/06 03:41 AM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Unfortunately, I have an especially difficult task convincing the wife that I need a good sound system. She'll never quite have the same appreciation for a good home theater that I do, since she's been deaf in one ear since age 12. Regardless, I've managed to upgrade the M22's to a pair of M60s in our buying plans.

Good idea about the eggshell white Qs on the ceiling. That just might fly. They shouldn't be too noticable way up on the 12-ft ceiling.

It's an uphill battle, but I'm getting there. Next task: convincing her that the sub has absolutely no business being hidden on a bookshelf cabinet. It's been a long road from "just get those nice little Bose speakers" to where I am now...

#135697 04/20/06 03:57 PM
shareholder in the making
Keep fighting the good fight.

#135698 04/20/06 05:09 PM
veteran
veteran
Keep your chin up, and remember that marriage is a two way street and all about compromise.

My wife was pretty adamant about a lot of things regarding my HT setup, but after having plenty of discussions we were able to compromise. Did I get everything I wanted? No, but it's pretty close and it is a heckuva lot better than what she originally wanted.

I will say that getting her nice jewelry is always helpful as well.

#135699 04/20/06 06:00 PM
I have no problem with compromise, but on principle, I refuse to use jewelry as a bargaining chip. Maybe I'm making thisgs hard on myself, because my wife wants a kayak before I spend another cent on the HT, and jewelry is much easier to store.

#135700 04/20/06 06:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well since Ray does not find his way to the boards as much anymore ill be the one to offer the advice he usually delivers. Sell the wife. at least i think it is Ray Maybe not anyway the advice still works. lol

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#135701 04/20/06 07:24 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Thanks for the advice, everyone...

FYI, below are the plans for the room in question. It's not a dedicated home theater, per se, therefore the aforementioned problems with WAF. But our living room is mostly used for TV watching, even now. This room will be carpeted. The TV and front speakers are on the left-side wall in the drawing. Seating will be along the north wall (by the window) and the east wall (12'-7" wall on the right). The opening on the bottom wall leads to a 7'x14' hardwood-floor entryway. The opening on the lower-right leads to a 10'x'6' ceramic-tile-floored area.

Yes, the speakers will be housed in a cabinet; and, yes, I realize that this is not the optimal setup. Luckily, this is one place where WAF worked in my favor (upgrading from M22 to M60), because she wanted the speakers to be about the same height as the TV if they were going to be in the same cabinet. Are there any samples or suggestions that I should follow to make the best of my situation (aside from those already in the Axiom Family gallery).

The carpenter we'll be using is flat-out amazing. He can work with pretty much any specs we give him -- or he can come up with the design on his own. We'll likely be working with birch, although we haven't decided on the finish (Axiom doesn't seem to offer a birch finish, so I may just go with Black Oak speakers).

#135702 04/20/06 08:50 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I love blueprints.

I have only a couple suggestions.

First, if you have not already done so, peruse the Axiom Custom Finish Shop and Custom Wood Studio. I can't believe there isn't something in there that wouldn't please your wife.

Second, that subwoofer thing has me worried. I think you need to budget enough money to ensure getting a high-quality finish on your sub (whether it be Axiom, Hsu or SVS) so that you can have it out in the room, serving as an end table. That's a big room; I'd get at least a mid-level sub rather than anything smaller.

Finally, I don't have a good vision about how the plasma and the speakers will be put together in your custom built-in. If it were me (I wish) I'd be looking for some kind of wall mount for the TV - perhaps with a telescoping action - so that it doesn't end up being at the back end of a cabinet box (otherwise, those people sitting on the side could have a problem with sightlines). If you can get a dark, matte finish directly behind the TV, that would be good (I know I'm dreaming...). If your carpenter could rig up some sliding shelves for the speakers to sit on, perhaps you could pull them out of the "cabinet" for critical listening and slide them back in for times when viewers care a bit less. I'll bet you could tame most of the cabinet effects that way.

You should definitely call Axiom about the finishes; I understand they will send you samples for a small fee which is then applied to your purchase.

I think the M60's are great - I really like mine. However, given that you will continue to have a dedicated two channel system in another room, I'd get the M22 and a better sub in this room rather than the M60 and a less-capable sub. Blasphemy, I know.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#135703 04/21/06 03:48 PM
devotee
devotee
I agree with Tom. A very good setup that should lend itself to the WAF. My wife originally wanted inwalls (completely flush) but I just couldn't bring myself to sacrifice the audio quality for aesthetics. If you get a speaker with a beautiful wood finish, it is more like a piece of furniture which tends to be pleasing to wives (unlike the typical black where they do tend to stand out).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters