Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: TV Stands
Zarak #143467 07/30/06 01:24 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It's official...doesn't pass WAF. So, the search continues. Any good sites out there that aren't quite so modern looking? A stand that is 70-85" width would work as well. I would just have to move the M22 to either end of it, instead of on the stands they are on now. I am checking out the diamond case site now. I like some of what I've seen, but nothing that works with my measurements yet. I haven't seen prices yet, not sure if I want to. They might make me look like this:

Zarak #143468 07/30/06 02:11 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't remember if you said there was a price requirement but these guys HERE make really nice stuff (a bit pricey though) my buddy has a couple of pieces.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
snakeyes #143469 07/30/06 02:25 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the link. I checked them out already acutally. Unfortunately the measurements don't quite work. A double is a little too small, a triple would be too small to put the speakers on the TV stand, but too big to have room for separate stands on the side, and the quad would be a couple of inches too big for the wall. I might try to work something out anyway with them, or just go custom if I can't find anything. I've spent a large chunk of the day online and at stores looking at stands. My new TV will need a place to rest it's feet!

Zarak #143470 07/30/06 04:19 AM
devotee
devotee
There was an audioholics review on one of the diamondcase units that sounds about right for you, and the price was...
$2800 There were some options on that one, I think base price was like $2200. However, the top was like 2-3 inches thick real wood, you really would be set for life.

duckman #143471 07/30/06 12:33 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow...those looked nice, but didn't know they were THAT expensive. I'll be spending that on the TV already! If I would go that route, I'd have to make sure it had enough room in case I wanted a bigger screen 10 years down the road, or whenever I upgrade beyond what I am about to get.

I got frustrated not finding anything last night and started to put together a plan for a custom design. I'm currently thinking 3 shelves, the top being 8" high and about 48" wide to hold the center and receiver, next one down is 7" high to hold the 2 DVD players and the HD box from comcast on one side, and the VCR (with extra room to replaced that with HTPC later) on the other side. The lower shelf would likely be a slide out drawer to store media in and would be about 6" high. That puts me at 21", plus whatever 1/4" of wood are needed in places between the shelves, the top, etc. Total height I am guessing around 23-24. A little taller then I wanted, but it is either that or make it shorter and a lot longer so the speakers on on the TV stand instead of their own. I'm also thinking about dividing up the left and right for the lower two shelves. Stack the DVD/HD as mentioned, but have the VCR below that. It is only 4" high, but that shelf could be 5.5" to have room to grow. The other side could then be two 6.25" shelves/drawers for media storage. That shaves 1/2 inch off the height at least, every little bit counts I guess.

Only other thought is have the center and VCR on the same shelf at only 42" across. Receiver and DVD/HD stack on next shelf, and only have two shelves. Then there would be room on one side for a media stack, extending the width of the cabinet another 6-8 inches. That might make it tight to have room for HTPC in place of VCR at some point though, I don't know how compact some of those cases are.

Looks like this post just turned into my brainstorming on paper. If I'm missing something let me know. I can't really go more then 53" across. The wall is 85" and the base of each speaker stand is about 16". Even that pushes one stand right up against the wall, instead of the couple of inches of breathing room I have now. Which puts the front right speaker that much more into the corner.

Zarak #143472 07/30/06 03:56 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I saw some pictures of work that a guy does and his work is nothing short of spectacular. I don't know much he charges, but maybe someone else here does. He does a lot of work for folks on the AV 123 board and goes by something like "Brucer" if I recall. Anyone know who I'm talking about?? I tried to log onto the AV web sight and it appears to be having troubles.

At any rate, custom is the way to go as you can pick your species of wood, size, shape, finish. You could always make some phone calls to some cabinet makers in your area. When you do, feel them out and ask if they make, or buy the doors. If they buy the doors, they've gone "production" and away from "custom" as the doors take real craftsmanship and time, whereas the cases just take a good table saw.

michael_d #143473 07/30/06 06:53 PM
devotee
devotee
Something to keep in mind with media storage, unless you mostly rent you will exceed your storage capacity sooner than you think. You will then have an equipment cab compromised for media storage as well as needing additional media storage.I do the tv/dvd thing and it's just obsene how fast storage space gets eaten up.

michael_d #143474 07/30/06 07:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I saw some pictures of work that a guy does and his work is nothing short of spectacular. I don't know much he charges, but maybe someone else here does. He does a lot of work for folks on the AV 123 board and goes by something like "Brucer" if I recall. Anyone know who I'm talking about?? I tried to log onto the AV web sight and it appears to be having troubles.

You are correct, Mike. He goes by the name of Brucer on the av123 website. I've never ordered anything from him, so I wouldn't know what he charges. But I think it's on a case to case basis.

The pictures I've seen from his finished work is remarkable. He can build you anything you want. But some of the wait times are pretty long. Don't expect something done in a couple of weeks.

Here is a link to his spot at av123.
Brucer's Corner

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

richeydog #143475 07/31/06 02:07 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks, I sent Brucer and email to get his thoughts. I think it is either a custom stand at this point or back to this one: TV Stand

My wife doesn't like any of the three I found too much, so might as well get the cheapest if it isn't going to be custom since she'll want to replace it if we find something she likes that works down the road.

Zarak #143476 07/31/06 07:54 PM
old hand
old hand
If you are going to make it yourself, be sure you think about 2 things - ventilation and wire management. You need a lot of both. I'd personally skip any thoughts of media storage as even the most modest of DVD collections will quickly fill up what could be space for components. Just plan on buying/building separate storage for CDs/DVDs. In the long run, you'll have to do that anyways. Plus, all those empty shelves just beg to have something put on them.

If you are looking for something cheaper than the Diamond Case, you might look at Studio Tech . There stuff is nice and much more affordable.

Professional Axiom Lurker
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020