Print Thread
Rate Thread
QS8 location
#144236 07/26/06 04:11 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
More questions based on the TV coming and possible room arrangment...

I could potentially arrange the room so the TV is on the big wall and the main viewing area is about 8 feet back, which should be good for a 50-60" TV. One side has a wall for the QS8, but the other side would be the opening into the room, so there is no wall there to mount the other one. I can't really do a ceiling bracket, since the speaker would be hanging down from that above you as you walk into the room. Even if I would go for it, I know that one would not pass WAF.

There is however, a small back wall that the speaker could go on. It is pretty open to the right side of the speaker and sound would project in a direction I don't really want it go.

First I'm wondering how it would be to have one side and one rear surround. I could potentially do both rear instead, but I know they should really both be on the side.

I've just got different ideas going through my head trying to make this all work. Moving the TV to the big wall would allow for a bigger enterainment center, with room to store DVD/CD's (something my wife complained about not having with some of the smaller two shelf, just enough room for A/V equipment stands I was looking at).

As of now, if we leave the room configured the way it is, we'll be about 11 feet from the TV and will be getting a 50". We will need to get a stand as well as some type of shelf unit for the big wall to store CD/DVDs.

Re: QS8 location
Zarak #144237 07/26/06 04:25 AM
shareholder in the making
Jason, you didn't give all the distances, but if the setup where you'd be about 8' from the screen would have you maybe 3' from the wall behind, then mounting the surrounds on the back wall about 6' up and spread widely(at least 10')should still give you a good side surround effect.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #144238 07/26/06 04:39 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The couch would be up against the wall behind it in the setup with the TV 8 feet away. The room is 18x12, but the 12 part ends up being closer to 8 feet when you factor in the depth of the stand with a couple inches of breathing room as well as a foot or so from the back of the couch against the wall to where your eyes actually are when you sit. With the two QS8's both on the back wall, they would be about 14 feet apart. If the one was on the side wall instead, that would move it further apart another couple of feet to get it onto that wall.

Let me know if you need more details. I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to do all this, although I know I really need to go to bed soon so I'm not falling asleep at work tomorrow.

Zarak #144239 07/26/06 07:08 AM
That setup would be fine. The QS8s on the back wall would be just a foot or so behind your ears and 14' of separation would be plenty to give the side surround effect even though they were on the back wall.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #144240 07/26/06 04:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Have you thought of getting FMS QS speaker stand so you can still have the QS8 on the side?

Seattlelite #144241 07/26/06 11:16 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I would use the stand, but it won't work in that spot. The reason there is no wall there is that it is the opening into the next room. I can't really have a speaker stand in the middle of the walkway.

I'm leaning towards keeping things the way they are, and getting the storage unit for the big wall to keep CD/DVD's, unless I can come up with a better idea. 11 feet back from the TV might not be bad, since I'm sure we'll still be watching SD as well, which probably would not look too good from 8feet (although the HD is supposed to be better from 8).

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044