AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22894 Topics
404585 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16277
SirQuack 13335
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Page 2 of 252 < 1 2 3 4 ... 251 252 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13446 - 07/15/03 02:53 AM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him? ****
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Peter, I've not had that beer. Thank you very much for the recommendation - I'll look for it! I like a good West Coast IPA, but don't get Brits (or certain others) started on the topic of "true" IPA. There are those change-resistant folks who deny that American application of Columbus/Cascade/Chinook hops to that style is an abomination rather than expansion to a new and distinctive style. I used to really groove on that big hop nose and grapefruity flavor. But the palate fatigue is just killer - after a couple, I really can't taste much of anything. If you can get a good one on cask, then you've got something.

#13447 - 07/15/03 02:58 AM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Will, thanks so much for sharing. I know too little about distillation, and your tutelage is welcome. You nailed the Zen reference; much of that book revolves around a search to define "quality". It seemed pretty deep when I was 18. In retrospect, it seems a bit ponderous and self-indulgent.

I really like Kentucky Bourbon. What should I be drinking?

Sonicfox - interesting that you should bring up the whole "light struck" issue. I discovered a few years ago that the CANNED version of Heineken is absolutely transcendent compared to the horrible bottles I'd been subjected to on the West Coast all these years.

#13448 - 07/15/03 12:59 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
BigWill Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Corona, Calif. USA!!!
I don't know a whole lot about bourbon other than what I know I like. Some possibilities:
-Blantons is the best tasting I've ever had. Costco had it for awhile but they're all gone. Was $38 a bottle there. Must be better bourbons but I've never tasted any.
-Makers Mark is a good all around bourbon. Not so expensive that you feel like a fool using it in mixed drinks, but is also smooth and tasty enough to sip straight.
-Jim Beam is as low as I'll go. I use it only in mixed drinks. Found it on sale for $13 per 1.75L bottle and stocked up last year. It's harsh straight, but doesn't seem to cause too much internal damage.
-Evan Williams Single Barrel was absolutely an awesome deal when it first came out, but prices have climbed. It could be my imagination, but it also seems like quality dipped.
-Elmer T. Lee is good. Especially if you can find it under $20.
-Wild Turkey ain't bad. I prefer the 101 proof.

I don't know if you like your booze straight, but try the good stuff warm, without ice or water, in a nice glass. Take little sips, let it sit on the palette for awhile, and go slow. You won't get drunk, but you will get mellow.

For bourbon & Coke, Makers Mark can't be beat.

#13449 - 07/15/03 01:32 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
This could be sacrilage, but the way I (and my wife) figure it, we don't drink enough to waste time with the cheap stuff. In other words, I use medium-good quality liquor in everything, including mixed drinks. No matter what the scientific evidence says, a fine tequila in a margarita tastes better, has a wider soundstage, transcends the live experience... Oh wait, wrong thread.

#13450 - 07/15/03 04:08 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Ah yes, Jim Beam. That is the key ingredient in my wife's family's "Bourbon Slush" recipe -- a hit at outdoor concerts and BBQs.

1 750ml bottle Jim Beam
4 cups strongly brewed tea
1 can lemonade concentrate
1 can orange juice concentrate
plenty of water
plenty of sugar

Place all ingredients into a large container and put in freezer. Give it a good stir every few hours. When it reaches a slushy consistency, serve it up!

#13451 - 07/15/03 07:47 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
MIKEY Offline
devotee

Loc: ORANGE COUNTY CALIF
Gott'a love this.. Electronic gear, music and movies, and adult beverages, all on the same site.. Too cool..
So, can we get someone to put together a list of all the better brews and suggestions that have been listed ?
Isn't it kind of interesting, as one can grows older (I didn't say necessarily wiser) one begins to slow down and enjoy the simpler pleasures life offers ? Such as a fine painting, a well writen book, a great movie, and of course, the perfect potation to complete the moment.. Ahhhhhhh....
Here's a funny thing.. I find myself sort of role playing with a lot the movies I watch these days.. We have the sound, the picture, why not the taste ??
If it's a old murder mystery type, I'll have scotch/rocks.. If a action movie, beer, but imported or made by the same country as the primary role in the movie.. Following me here ? James Bond, you guessed it, "Shaken, not stirred".. French/wine, cowboy/wiskey, Greek/Oyzo, etc, etc..
Next time you drop in Hunt for Red October, be sure you pour yourself a shot of Vodka.. I mean, Waadka..

#13452 - 07/15/03 07:55 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
In reply to:

be sure you pour yourself a shot of Vodka.. I mean, Waadka..

Just don't go all "Ya tebya lublu" on us after you take a few shots. There's nothing worse than a blathering drunk who keeps saying he loves you in Russian -- with a bad accent, nonetheless.

#13453 - 07/15/03 08:33 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
KC_Mike Offline
local

Loc: KS
I buy a lot of Woodford Reserve. I used to buy Makers Mark until I tried the Woodford.

#13454 - 07/16/03 12:39 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
BigWill Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Corona, Calif. USA!!!
Hey MIKEY, I recall that you are in OC. If you haven't already, go check out Hi-Time Cellar in Costa Mesa. HUGE selection of everything. It's a two story emporium of everything alcoholic. Decent prices, not the lowest on everything, but they do run some smoking sales on stuff.

#13455 - 07/16/03 03:14 PM Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
MIKEY Offline
devotee

Loc: ORANGE COUNTY CALIF
Thanks Mark.. You know, I've been told about that place a couple of times.. I'm in Huntington Beach, like ten minutes away, and never make it over there ? Go figure..
Looks like ZeN will be stopping by this Saturday to give my system a listen.. I'll stop by Hi-Time and grab some suds..
What's best in this area again ? I'm not much on all the ales, micro brews, and such, as I love and drink mostly the beers Hecho de Mexico.. I've injoyed many a fine beer, but with all those brands, makes, etc, I can't keep up with it..
Any help, again, would be appreciated..

Page 2 of 252 < 1 2 3 4 ... 251 252 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.