AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Jungle's HT
Experimental Atmos
Who's Online
1 registered (CatBrat), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13336 Members
11 Forums
22940 Topics
405746 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17809
pmbuko 16296
SirQuack 13344
CV 11268
MarkSJohnson 10964
Meanwhile On Facebook

Just two more days! Better tell your gift-givers! http://axiomaudio.com/holida...

So many people took advantage of the weekend sales! Lots of auditioning about t...

Only a few hours left to get a gift card worth up to 25% of your purchase! http:...

Four days to get in on the action!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186884 - 12/06/07 02:48 PM Re: Radio Shak SPL meter [Re: MarkSJohnson]
skyhawk669 Offline
devotee

Loc: Austin, TX
I would think it would be easier to read a fluctuating needle than it is on a digital display.

#186964 - 12/07/07 12:11 AM Re: Radio Shak SPL meter [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
HAY Offline
aficionado

Loc: Burlington, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Radio Shack (Circuit City) here in Canada only sells one SPL meter and it is digital. I have talked to a home theater setup professional and he said that the digital meters are far less accurate than the analog meters, and he doesn't know where to find an analog one around here. I can find an analog one on the Internet easily, but it will be more expensive. If his advice is true, I will definitely go the analog route.

Has anyone else heard anything, or experienced the difference between the digital and analog SPL meters.

Thanks

Hey Wheelz, call a music/instrument store as they're a good place to start. I know the one in my neighbourhood (Burlington) has some that you can rent or buy. I ended up getting the digital one as at the time it was all they had and it was cheaper.

You should be able to find a place in Toronto that has some and can ship to Peterborough.

#186997 - 12/07/07 11:20 AM Re: Radio Shak SPL meter [Re: HAY]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I was trying to think of other stores that might have other meters but I couldn't come up with anything. A music/instrument store makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again

#187382 - 12/10/07 08:49 PM Re: Radio Shak SPL meter [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
cava Offline
enthusiast

According to my professor for noise and vibration control class the A-weighted scale closely models the human response to sound below 55 dB and the C-weighted scale models the human response for sound above 85 dB. The human response is a function of not only frequency but also level.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.