Rate Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Metal
#190356 01/02/08 07:32 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Hey guys... I know there's some metalheads out there. I've got a gift cert to iTunes burning a hole in my pocket, so I was poking around tonight. I didn't like any of the metal I heard (and most of it sounded the same) so I'm wondering if
a) I'm just getting old
b) I was picking the wrong stuff
or
c) I have no taste in metal.

Here's what I like:
Metallica--all of it, even Load and St. Anger (although St. Anger is mastered extraordinarily poorly.
Megadeth--all of it, esp Rust in Peace. OK, Risk sucked.
Tool--all of it (yeah, it's not really metal
NIN--all of it, although you'd think he'd be over that girl by now.
Opeth--although I could do without the growling. Puh-leeze, you've got a nice voice, use it. I have Blackwater Park
Ozzy--the older stuff
Blue Oyster Cult
Alice in Chains and their various spin offs

Anyway... anyone have any suggestions? I'm not really into death metal or rap metal.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Metal
Ken.C #190358 01/02/08 07:47 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I really like Black Label Society, all of it is good.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #190360 01/02/08 08:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think b & c, but simply because you admit to liking St. Anger.

AdamP88 #190362 01/02/08 08:19 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Heh... some of St. Anger was good. If only they hadn't screwed the rest of it all to hell. And if they'd spent a tad more time on the lyrics instead of repeating the same lines over and over again, it would have helped.

Ken.C #190372 01/02/08 09:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Some of the riffs were good, I'll give you that. I couldn't find one song I liked more than a 3rd of. Not surprising considering the music-by-committee pieced together approach they took.

Ken.C #190373 01/02/08 09:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
so I'm wondering if
a) I'm just getting old
or

a) You're just getting old.

;\)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #190387 01/03/08 12:35 AM
veteran
veteran
I listen to metal almost exclusively. Metallica's big 3 are my all-time favorites (Lightning, Puppets, Justice)

After that is Opeth. I highly suggest you get some more of their albums. Damnation isn't metal, but it's damn good and one of the best produced albums I have heard there is no growling at all, just clean vocals.

Deliverance by Opeth is amazing, it does have a lot of growling, but maybe it will grow on you! The song A Fair Judgement makes this album worth it all by itself and it has no growls.

My favorite Opeth album is Morningrise. The production is raw, but I love how it sounds thorugh my Axioms. It has a lot more acoustical guitar and it is very "progressive", it takes many listens to sink in but once it does you will never get sick of it. Very non-repetitive. Do not get this album first, it is one of their least accessible (but most rewarding).

The album Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation is outstanding. The album is 60 minutes long and it's all one song! There is no growling, and it doesn't get old. I almost hate starting this song because it will hook me in and I'm stuck listening to it.

Dream Theater's Images and Words is a must as is Awake. If you like these, then get Scenes From a Memory.

I love Iced Earth, but I do get tired of them more quickly then the above bands. A Question of Heaven is one of my all time favorite songs from any band... The Gettysburg trilogy from Glorious Burden is over 30 minutes and is worth buying the whole album just for that.

Bruce Dickinson's solo album called The Chemical Wedding is outstanding, it's a grower but I like it better than any Maiden album.

I know you don't like growling, but if you can handle growls mixed with female soprano vocals I highly suggest the album Prison of Desire from the band After Forever. It truly is beautiful music, some songs have a "Gladiator soundtrack" sound to them mixed with metal (the song Beyond Me gives me goosebumps).

Amon Amarth's new album called With Oden On Our Side is excellent. It's all growls, but this guy is the best I've heard next to Opeth's singer. In some ways it's better because the production on this album makes his vocals so silky smooth - hard to pull off with growls. The music is very heavy but extremely melodic (pardon the cliche) and there isn't one bad song on the album.

I like tons of other stuff, but these are some of my absolute favorites. Let me know if you want any other suggestions.

Last edited by cameron; 01/03/08 12:39 AM.
cameron #190388 01/03/08 12:37 AM
veteran
veteran
BTW, other than NIN and Blue Oyster Cult I really like all of what you are into (not that I dislike those bands, I just never got into them).

As far as Megadeth, Rust in Peace to me is so far above everything else they've done. It's the only one to me that approaches vintage Metallica status.

Ken.C #190389 01/03/08 12:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

He did finally get over her. Trent's moved on to larger issues in Year Zero.

The Fragile is still my favorite though.

Zarak #190390 01/03/08 12:45 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool. I'll check that stuff out tonight.

Ken.C #190391 01/03/08 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken, let me look through me CD collection here. . .

A while back I went through the same thing--wanted some head-bangin' material, but don't like the whole growl thing.

Okay, here we go. I picked up "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon. A little bit of growling, but not overbearing. The dude can actually sing. . .sort of.

Also, I tried "In the Abscence of Truth" by Isis. I like this one a lot. Isis is more akin to Tool in that they draw out the songs a bit more--which is good since there is excellent musicianship. And, no growl!

Okay just kidding--there is a bit of growl, but just a teeny bit. It's hard to sing along to a song that goes, "Rururur rurur rururururrruru (scream) ruru ru rurururu."

Last edited by St_PatGuy; 01/03/08 01:11 AM.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #190396 01/03/08 01:37 AM
veteran
veteran
I was thinking about getting an Isis album... I heard a song on the metal channel on cable that sounded pretty good.

I have Mastadon's first album, it's not bad but I really wanted to get into it but couldn't. The production fell victim to the category of "metal that doesn't sound good with Axiom's".

cameron #190422 01/03/08 04:16 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Hey there,

I have very similar interests in the metal side of things - big time metallica fan as well. I have not found anything recently that caught my metal interests. Some old school Iron Maiden (Piece of Mind) or Black Sabbath sound pretty good on the Axioms.

If you like AIC, what about Soundgarden? Badmotorfinger is a classic.

For more recent music - Have you considered Porcupine Tree - they have some metal-ish elements in their songs, but some melodic as well. Their songwriter Steven Wilson produced a few Opeth albums, nad the lead singer of Opeth (Akerfeld?)sings backup (not growling) on their "Deadwing" album, which is pretty heavy. Also, "In Absentia" and the recent "Fear of a Blank Planet" have some heavy riffs. I highly recommend them.

System of a Down have some good songs with a tongue in cheek mentality to boot.

Hope this helps your quest for metal!

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
Nachosgrande #190424 01/03/08 04:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You need to listen to "The Metal" from Tenacious D's Pick of Destiny Album.

Great song, surprisingly awesome guitar riffs.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
Ken.C #190441 01/03/08 06:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Some great picks up there.

If you want current day stuff, on the less heavy side (somewhere between hard rock and metal), I really enjoy the new Seether CD. Three Days Grace is also a fun, hard working concert band.

Yes, the metal purist would say they are hanging dangerously close in the commercial realm but hey, they are helping to keep the format alive with the kids so they deserve some credit.

To get back to the classics, Iron Maidens concert DVD, Rockin in Rio, is simply AWESOME!! A must have!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #190450 01/03/08 07:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Speaking of "metal purists", I never really understood the mentality. I've loved the genre since... well I can't remember not loving it. But I never got the whole "that's not true metal" or whatever. Even though metal is my love, if music is good then it's good.

Last night for example - I'm flipping through channels and come across Heart Live in Seattle on HD Net. Wow. These girls (and guys) sound amazing. If you put the lead singer on American Idol it would be a joke how much better she is than anyone who has won on that show IMO - I was blown away by her control of her voice. The band is also very tight - I am impressed, and I never was a Heart fan.

BTW, I second the recommendation for In Absentia by Porcupine Tree, especially on dvd-audio as well as Rock in Rio Iron Maiden dvd concert.

I really like Chevelle too, although I haven't bought their latest yet. Something about their use of harmonies (at least I think that's what it is) does it for me.

cameron #190453 01/03/08 07:21 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Got In Absentia already, but I've listened to it so much, I'm completely sick of it.

Ken.C #190462 01/03/08 09:17 PM
devotee
devotee
 Quote:
Got In Absentia already, but I've listened to it so much, I'm completely sick of it.

Ha! Not quite there yet!

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #190465 01/03/08 09:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have been listening to the older Procupine Tree cd's (Stupid Dream & Signify). There is a lot of interesting music there however you can't beat their latest cd's \:\)

Rock_Head #190498 01/04/08 06:55 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. So far I've purchased Outshined by Soundgarden (yeah, lots of radio play, but this one deserves it), Cult of Personality by Living Colour (see above), and In the Absence of Truth by Isis.

They all sound pretty good on Audiobytes... ;\)

cameron #190503 01/04/08 10:01 AM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: cameron

Last night for example - I'm flipping through channels and come across Heart Live in Seattle on HD Net. Wow. These girls (and guys) sound amazing.

I have seen them in concert and they are amazing.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #190607 01/05/08 02:09 AM
veteran
veteran
I also highly recommend Faith no More's Angel Dust. It's a bit weird, but at the same time very catchy. I like their album The Real Thing too, but it doesn't have the replay-ability like Angel Dust.

I think Faith no More were ahead of their time and very underrated.

cameron #190967 01/07/08 07:43 PM
devotee
devotee
For what it's worth (I know not much ;)) I like all of Metallica too Ken!

I used to listen to Slayer and Sepultura when younger but I grew out of it.

cameron #191002 01/07/08 11:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I also highly recommend Faith no More's Angel Dust. It's a bit weird, but at the same time very catchy. I like their album The Real Thing too, but it doesn't have the replay-ability like Angel Dust.

I think Faith no More were ahead of their time and very underrated.
I always thought Angel Dust was "too clever by half"... Introduce Yourself was a lot more raw I thought.

As for other metal, Ken - start buying up good old albums/songs you don't have... I've been thinking I have to fill in my Ozzy and Alice Cooper collections... on the arena/psychadelic rock side, I have a few more Pink Floyd albums to slot in.

I'm not so sure there is any new "good" metal (was any of it ever " good "?) anymore - it's kind of like finding a good do-wop band these days, it's kind of gone out of vogue... well, except in Europe (metal, not do-wop).

Bren R.

BrenR #191088 01/08/08 04:34 PM
veteran
veteran

"I'm not so sure there is any new "good" metal (was any of it ever " good "?) anymore - it's kind of like finding a good do-wop band these days, it's kind of gone out of vogue... well, except in Europe (metal, not do-wop)."

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, most current metal is not very good but if you dig a little there is some amazing stuff out there (check suggestions in my first post in this thread).

As far as metal never being good, if that's a person's opinion clearly metal is NOT for them and they should stick to other genres - which is fine, to each his own.

cameron #191089 01/08/08 04:35 PM
veteran
veteran
BTW Bren, I'll have to check Introduce Yourself. I only have The Real Thing, Album of the Year and Angel Dust. Does Patton sing on Introduce Yourself?

cameron #191146 01/09/08 12:40 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
As far as metal never being good, if that's a person's opinion clearly metal is NOT for them and they should stick to other genres - which is fine, to each his own.
I think you have to be able to laugh at yourself as a "metal fan"... the whole genre is pretty schlocky... I went from 60s rock and roll to metal to punk (where I've stayed most of my life)... metal's always going to have that "what were they thinking?" component to it... for proof... the the first 30 seconds of Amon Amarth's Runes To My Memory... (first link on YouTube on a search)... there is headbanger hair choreography going on there... seriously...

Quote:
BTW Bren, I'll have to check Introduce Yourself. I only have The Real Thing, Album of the Year and Angel Dust. Does Patton sing on Introduce Yourself?
No, it was Chuck Mosely - who also did a short stint in Bad Brains.

Bren R.

BrenR #191224 01/09/08 03:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have to laugh at myself for most of my hobbies.

In no particular order and with no disdain meant for anyone with the same hobbies.....

- Offroad Jeeping (I'm billed a redneck)
- Computers (I'm a Geek)
- A inexplicable love for gadgets (Geek again)
- A love for Rock music (Immature)
- I also always liked classical and everything in between (too mature)
- Down hill Skiing (not cool anymore, I should be snowboarding)
- Cross country Skiing (never was cool, should be downhill skiing)

- The one exception is, luckily, my biggest one. It has actually become cool to Sea Kayak! However, for many years I suffered many "Eskimo..." and "tree hugging, rubber booter..." jokes before it became popular.

Last edited by Murph; 01/09/08 04:01 PM. Reason: HIt post too quickly

Murph #191229 01/09/08 03:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Ha Ha!! Yeah Bren, I have actually seen that video and that is pretty funny. What's even better is that all of their albums and songs are about vikings. "Viking metal" - I sh*t you not. \:\) That said though, I really like their music and they are great at writing heavy songs with tons of hooks/melody.

I have never been a "true" metal head. I never had the long hair, never bought the posters, never wore the clothes (not sure what those clothes are though...). I never understood why you have the rebellious towards society attitude to be into metal.

Nope, for me growing up it was all about the music itself and nothing more. Maybe it's because almost all of my friends and pretty much every one I knew back then liked pop 80's music if they even liked music at all.

I remember that when I was in Jr. High (around 86-88) you were labeled a complete loser and or psycho if you liked Metallica. Kansas City is very conservative, so I didn't realize that some metal bands were "big" and actually had a lot of fans. The heaviest songs played on our radio stations were by Def Leppard.

cameron #191250 01/09/08 04:51 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
The way I see it, there's metal and then there's hair bands. Not the same thing. For example, Poison is not metal, no matter how much they show up on VH1 and claim they are. Ozzy is metal, even though he's so screwed up from all the drug everything abuse.

Ken.C #191252 01/09/08 05:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Reminds me of the way Beavis and Butthead saw it too. If I recall, one of them wore a Metallica shirt and the other wore AC/DC. The kid they didn't like and made fun of walked around in a Winger shirt.

Zarak #191262 01/09/08 05:24 PM
J
J
I always considered hair bands as commercial metal, it was good for air play. I still like to listen to them now and again.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #191265 01/09/08 05:31 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
No, you must never admit this! No good can come of saying that you actually enjoy "Pour Some Sugar on Me" or "Dead or Alive!"

Ken.C #191271 01/09/08 05:40 PM
J
J
I admit I have Pyromania and Hysteria in the house and do in fact play them willingly. Sorry guys, I know I have now dropped out of your good books(if I ever was in there).

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #191300 01/09/08 07:27 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Technically, back in the 80's if you liked Metallica, Iron Maiden and Slayer, you were a "metalhead" , if you liked Poison, Danger Danger and Bon Jovi, you were a poseur \:\( which was a particularly disparaging term to an adolescent male.

Ironically,Judas Priest was a metal band, even though Rob Halford had seriously "alternative" tendencies. Back in the day, he was a badass. I think many of us were too young and naive to know what he stood for...besides metal!

My group of friends in high school were of the intelligent type, even though we had long hair and listened to metal. We were not the typical "loser" stereotype. We listened to whatever we thought sounded good, be it metal or other forms of music. (Yes there was obviously some bad metal

I recently looked, and Slayer's classic album Reign in Blood is strangely out of print....

Nachosgrande #191305 01/09/08 08:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Now I wish I hadn't thrown out all my old cassettes. I'm afraid I listened to all of the above.

All Genres have good and bad and their unfair stereotypes.
It's easy to make fun of
-- the long haired metal head,
-- the long haired, but afraid to wear the pentagram jacket, hard rock guy
-- the punk haired punks
-- the punk haired but frilly sleeved techno guy
-- the preppy sweatered pop guy
-- the jeans and white t-shirted Merl Haggard fans

I listened to all those kinds of music back in high school but never really got labeled because I couldn't afford any kind of clothes aside from basic jeans and t-shirts. I also strangely had good friends in all of those genre groups or 'clicks' as we used to call them. A teacher who couldn't figure me out once labeled me as a high school Switzerland because it was odd to be able to wander all of the different cultured hallways unscathed.

About the only person who we all universally agreed to make fun of was the one single guy with the Bright Red, Micheal Jackson, Leather Jacket. That was just wrong. LOL!!!

Murph #191309 01/09/08 08:48 PM
veteran
veteran
I was never into hair bands, but I have always thought that High 'n Dry was good, Pyromania was pretty good too. They lost me with Hysteria, but I still don't hate it. I don't think the first two count as hair band albums.

To me the best "hair band" album I have ever heard was from a band called Wildside and the album was called Under the Influence. Hardly anyone has heard of the band, but you may remember a song in 91 I think called, "Hang on Lucy" that was on the radio a little bit. That was actually my least favorite song on the album. It's pretty much impossible to find that album now.

It's cheesy as hell, but that doesn't seem to bother me with this album for some reason. I rarely listen to it, but it's good when I do. Anybody heard of it?

Last edited by cameron; 01/09/08 08:48 PM.
Murph #191310 01/09/08 08:51 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: Murph

About the only person who we all universally agreed to make fun of was the one single guy with the Bright Red, Micheal Jackson, Leather Jacket. That was just wrong. LOL!!!

\:D
Wrong in sooo many ways.

I too pretty much listened to everything except country back in H.S., but mostly it was Def Leppard, VH, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and the like.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #191316 01/09/08 09:31 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think sometimes people get too hung up on slotting music in genres.

I have always been a big AC/DC fan; I bought new releases of theirs in Jr. High and HS before Bon died. I thought Scorpions and Def Leppard were the shiznit when I was in college ~25 years ago. I generally like Pearl Jam and Nickelback. But I just don't enjoy speed metal and a lot of traditional metal (Metallica, etc.).

A couple of harder-edged bands I have enjoyed a lot lately are Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and Autopilot Off. But I don't know if they're metal, punk, emo, screamo or adult alternative.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #191339 01/10/08 12:26 AM
N
devotee
devotee
N
There is a documentary on VH1Classic right now- Heavy: The Story of Metal. good stuff!

Nachosgrande #191877 01/13/08 02:27 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have been enjoying Evanescence. I guess maybe they aren't metal per say but I am not sure that anything newer really could be. I have a hard time getting excited about the old stuff for more than a few songs.

Jeb

And every Sunday afternoon she'd jump in his boat and they would spoon...
Kinge #191915 01/13/08 10:09 AM
J
J
I was just going to post that I have liked Evanescence for a metalish new band. Linkin Park might be worth a listen as well. My son has me listening to Yellowcard now too.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #191943 01/13/08 04:56 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I now cannot believe anything you write, Jason. Linkin Park worth a listen? Urch.

Seen 'em in concert opening for Metallica. They weren't the worst band there, but they certainly weren't good.

Ken.C #191993 01/13/08 08:16 PM
J
J
Live, I agree, they are not good, but their albums sound much better. I just like a few of their songs, which pretty much goes for almost every artist out there I have ever listened to. There are always some songs that catch my ear more than others.

Kind of like I am not a fan of Tori Amos and so many others are, she's just not for me.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #192031 01/14/08 12:45 AM
devotee
devotee
My wife loves Tory Amos... So I had no choice in the matter ;\) But I have to say that she's grown on me.

skyhawk669 #192080 01/14/08 06:34 AM
J
J
I keep trying to like her, but am having a hard time getting past her singing style.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #192087 01/14/08 08:14 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I like her singing, but I think it would be cool to have a disc of her which is strictly piano. I think I would really enjoy it.

CV #192507 01/16/08 01:43 PM
L
buff
buff
L
Lamb of God, I especially like the concert dvd they have out called Killadelphia. In between the songs they have stuff the band is doing that is sort of interesting, in one Randy, the drunk singer, gets in a fight with Mark, one of the guitar players. Or, once you have seen that stuff a couple times, you can just play the dvd - music only. I play guitar and they are really hard to copy for me. Ever so often I throw that disc on and rock the house. You might also get yahoo radio and set up a station for heavy metal if you are at the computer a lot, or if you have satellite radio in your truck you can listen to hard attack on sirius or liquid metal on xm and get some ideas.

Larry7995 #193205 01/20/08 10:02 PM
L
buff
buff
L
Kings X

Larry7995 #193220 01/21/08 03:52 AM
N
devotee
devotee
N
I listened to Opeth's Ghost Reveries in 5.1 - they are a very good metal band, their lead singer uses the "cookie monster" vocals for the verses, but actually has a very nice melodic voice on the chorus. Strange that they do it this way. if you can get past the vocals on verses, they are recommended.

Nachosgrande #193276 01/21/08 05:41 PM
veteran
veteran
He doesn't always use that pattern (refferring to all of their 8 albums). On many of their older albums you can't really tell what is supposed to be the verse and what is supposed to be the chorus anyway. They change things up so much that very little is repeated on most of their songs (unlike Ghost Reveries).

You may find that the growling grows on you over time, I know it did with me. To me it fits the mood of the music perfectly, although to be honest it's not like I'm sitting there missing it on the songs where there are no growls...

cameron #193339 01/22/08 04:48 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ooh aah, I am going to have to get out the Kings X. I haven't listened to that in while.

Jeb

And every Sunday afternoon she'd jump in his boat and they would spoon...
Kinge #193565 01/24/08 07:26 AM
devotee
devotee
This seems like just the thread to jump in on. I JUST ordered Axioms today and my musical diet is probably 95% metal and 5% Frank Zappa and "other."

Given that you're not into growling, and your metal tastes so far seem all "aboveground," I'd recommend the following bands.

Just google their names with myspace, as i think they all have streaming samples.

Doomsword

Pelican (no growling, because they're no singing. good choice given you like Isis)

Electric Wizard (punish the low end of your system \:\) )

Slough Feg (and earlier listed under the longer "The Lord Weird Slough Feg. )

Hour of 13 (since you like early Ozzy/Sabbath)

Mastery (Instrumental thrash riffing marathons!)

Overkill (earlier, maybe something like Years of Decay or Horrorscope, given your earlier thrash preferences)

Ulver (admittedly not as metal as they once were, but if you want some great stuff to crank up with lots of layers to discover.. pick up their newest: Shadows of the Sun)

Blind Guardian (no growls, quite a few addicting songs. newest one is quite good)

Symphony X (more on the progressive side. tight playing, good riffs, no growls.)

Ark (Get the 'Burn the Sun' album. Catchy slightly progressive songs, fantastic drumming and singing.)

Sir Lord Baltimore (If you liked Zeppelin, try these guys but only the albums "Kingdom Come" and their self-titled, which sell now as a double. Later on, they went soft.)

Wolf. (Their last album "The Black Flame" is pretty fun. Again, lots of catchy songs. Probably closer to hard rock.)

I could do this all night, I also help to produce a small underground metal podcast. \:\) (search for "Shadow Kingdom Radio" in the iTunes store, it's free to subscribe)

We'll see how these treat you first and get to more reccomendations later.

StuntGibbon #193566 01/24/08 07:33 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Welcome to the board. I like your handle. Here's hoping your Axioms arrive swiftly and you can offer us your impressions.

CV #193567 01/24/08 07:47 AM
devotee
devotee
Thanks for the welcome. I did the free high gloss cherry promotion, so not sure if that adds too long to the order but I hope they're pretty swift as well.

I'm not sure what the OP was hearing on iTunes that he didn't like, but there's a lot of stuff out there. There's some really thriving metal communities in Europe (places you might not expect like Italy and Greece) that don't get a lot of play here in the west, and I'm pretty much obsessive/compulsive about finding good metal so I'm sure I can help.

Also I'm curious... does anyone here have the full Epic 80 7.4 with all the EP600s? That official photo cracks me up. It looks like an alien invasion!

StuntGibbon #193568 01/24/08 09:10 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Oops... I usually stick to the Water Cooler and Technical... I forgot I was well-meaningly slinging poo up here.

Bren R.

BrenR #193585 01/24/08 02:52 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
^ Undoubtedly you are a fan of the Poo Fighters... \:\/

Nachosgrande #193600 01/24/08 05:08 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I have no idea what it was that I was hearing. I haven't checked it out since I bought the Isis album a few weeks ago (the main computer is in the room where the baby sleeps, soooooo.... not all that available to me except on weekends.)

Ken.C #193635 01/24/08 08:28 PM
veteran
veteran
Stuntgibbon,

I was intrigued by your description of Mastery, "Instrumental thrash riffing marathons!" this made me think of Orion, Call of Ktulu, and To Live is To Die and I started drooling...

I checked out some of their song clips on amazon, and I really liked what I heard. They did sound pretty repetitive, but I don't mind that at all if it's really good. - Wow, I'm listening to a clip of "Power Race" right now, and it's goooood -
So does it get old or is it so good that you don't mind the repetitiveness?

cameron #193638 01/24/08 09:13 PM
devotee
devotee

I was intrigued by your description of Mastery, "Instrumental thrash riffing marathons!" this made me think of Orion, Call of Ktulu, and To Live is To Die and I started drooling...

I checked out some of their song clips on amazon, and I really liked what I heard. They did sound pretty repetitive, but I don't mind that at all if it's really good. - Wow, I'm listening to a clip of "Power Race" right now, and it's goooood -
So does it get old or is it so good that you don't mind the repetitiveness?

I tend not to be bored by it on a full listen, and it also helps that the playing time is pretty short on Lethal Legacy. (their only release so far I think) It's basically an EP of 5 or 6 songs with some added demo versions of them tacked on.

Personally, I think it's a great sort of band for short car trips. Really powerful and driving, helps you speed. ;\)

Ken.C #193654 01/24/08 10:04 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
I have no idea what it was that I was hearing. I haven't checked it out since I bought the Isis album a few weeks ago (the main computer is in the room where the baby sleeps, soooooo.... not all that available to me except on weekends.)

What do you think of Isis? I have not heard anything from them, wondering if that is something I could get into.

Nachosgrande #193655 01/24/08 10:05 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Um........

I haven't listened to it yet.....it didn't make it on the 'pod on my latest sync, and that was awhile ago. I'm a bad person. \:\(

Ken.C #196339 02/14/08 08:24 AM
devotee
devotee
Digging up the metal thread. How are you fairing with the recommendations?

StuntGibbon #196361 02/14/08 03:57 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Life's been a little busy on one hand, and I've been distracted by too much gaming on the other, so I haven't gotten anything new. I listened to the first few tracks of the Isis album, and I'm not too thrilled. It all seems a little airy, prog rockish for a metal group, combined with some rather ineffective growling--at least compared to Opeth. Perhaps I've just not been in the right mood when listening to it.

Ken.C #196365 02/14/08 04:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
Perhaps I've just not been in the right mood when listening to it.

Have you tried hitting your thumb with a hammer?

St_PatGuy #196367 02/14/08 04:46 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry Sean...

Ken.C #196396 02/14/08 09:05 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, I take it all back, except the bit about the wimpy growling. I listened a little farther on the album at lunch today, and I'm appreciating it a lot more.

Ken.C #196420 02/14/08 10:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sometimes I try listening to new CDs and if I'm not in the mood, I can't make it through the entire thing. It may be a month or so down the line and I'll give it another shot--and often I'm rewarded.

Ken.C #196437 02/15/08 02:40 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Hey guys... I know there's some metalheads out there. I've got a gift cert to iTunes burning a hole in my pocket, so I was poking around tonight. I didn't like any of the metal I heard (and most of it sounded the same) so I'm wondering if
a) I'm just getting old
or

Here's what I like:
Metallica--all of it, even Load and St. Anger (although St. Anger is mastered extraordinarily poorly.
Megadeth--all of it, esp Rust in Peace. OK, Risk sucked.
Tool--all of it (yeah, it's not really metal
Opeth--although I could do without the growling. Puh-leeze, you've got a nice voice, use it. I have Blackwater Park
Ozzy--the older stuff
Blue Oyster Cult
Alice in Chains and their various spin offs

Anyway... anyone have any suggestions? I'm not really into death metal or rap metal.

Seems that after i got a hair cut and job im not upto date with the metal scene anymore.

Metalica has always been my fav and i even saw the Justice For All concert at the Maple Leafe Gardens!

Slayer has some great tunes! To bad their so Santanic ! As a teenager i would write out there lyrics on paper and leave in my room for my mom to find.

Check out LimeWire before you buy anything from itunes. Goodway to sample it first.

M60 M3 VP100 VP150 EP175 Q4
PanyPTAE1000U LCD HD projector 120"
Yamaha RX-V3800 PS3 20g, 360 ELITE

arcticair #196638 02/16/08 08:46 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: arcticair

Slayer has some great tunes! To bad their so Santanic ! As a teenager i would write out there lyrics on paper and leave in my room for my mom to find.

Fun fact: Slayer's singer Tom is Catholic.

StuntGibbon #196639 02/16/08 08:48 PM
Santanic? I didn't realize Slayer and Santana merged. \:\) ha ha lol

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #216648 07/29/08 05:16 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Hello, I have a huge concern and need your opions please! I am hesitant to purchase an epic 60/500 system (maybe a different sub)do to reading several opinions regarding the musical reproduction of Axiom speakers. It seems as if Axioms sound best with classical and orchestral type recordings. This is a real problem for me because I love metal, as well as other genres of music. I have read many Axiom owners state "metal is too bright for Axiom speakers". This sounds preposterous but $3,500 is too huge of an investment to take a risk. I'm not into purchasing something and then going through the trouble of returning it if I'm not happy with the performance.

Please give me your honest oppinions. Some of my favorite bands are King Diamond/ Mercyful Fate, Jag Panzer, Manilla Road, Opeth, Hexenhaus, Momento Mori, Candlemass, Nevermore, Eidolon, Pagan's Mind etc. Any speaker characteristics would be greatly appreciated. I look foreward to any replies. Thanks

Demetrios
demetman #216664 07/29/08 09:08 AM
J
J
Have you tried to find someone nearby that you could get an audition from? This way you could try your own music and see if you like it. I haven't found any problems with metal or another genre, as long as it has been recorded well. Axiom's are just very acurrate and will show the flaws in any recording but good recordings sound incredible.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #216668 07/29/08 11:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Since becoming a regular on this board a couple of years ago I also still read AVS and some other audio forums from time to time and I rarely see those comments and then they are usually like yours, in the form of a question and the answers are normally that they are indeed not bright at all. So I'm a bit confused why this keeps turning up. Therefore I did a bit more research with a real quick Google search. My search did turn up lots of examples of the words 'Axiom + speakers + bright' but for every question asked, there are multiple responses or professional reviewers stating that in fact, Axiom speakers are not bright.

So why is this question so common? My personal theory is that, like myself, most of us in the 'rocker' category either grew up listening to metal when we couldn't afford 'accurate' speakers and loud was really the only criteria. Also, the younger generation today are still listening to metal (I love that the music of my youth has survived a couple of generations!) but their experience with audio fidelity is influenced by iPods and heavily compressed MP3s.

In short, the boomboxes of old, older speakers built to look big, over emphasize the bass and be very loud, right up to today's ultra common, poorly made earphones are all very 'forgiving' of poorly engineered recordings. The recording industry knows this and have become lazy, using compression techniques designed to replace the dynamics and clarity with loudness.
Why? Because on non-accurate speakers that can't present the detail anyways....loudness sells.

I myself found it difficult to go back and play some of my CDs and most MP3s when I upgraded to Axiom Speakers. Luckily I played some really well produced CDs first, by chance really, and was TOTALLY blown away by the detail and sound quality that I never even knew existed before. However, I started noticing that some CDs and practically all of my MP3s actually seemed to sound worse than I remembered. I now have a wide variety of music in my library but metal is still a big part of it and unfortunately, this category did seem to have a larger ratio of more disappointing sound quality.

However, I soon realized that this wasn't the fault of the speakers. They were not too bright, they were not too cheap... They were too good. They were playing the music EXACTLY as it was recorded by a crappy producer who used compression techniques to make the recording have the illusion of sounding as loud as possible. If the song was further compressed into an MP3 or other file format, it only makes it worse.

Just how good speakers like Axiom truly are becomes blatantly obvious when you play a well made recording. It will simply blow you away. You will want to spend days listening to every CD or piece of music you own all over again, as if it were your first time.

Since most of my listening was done via MP3s streamed to my receiver via a Squeezebox, I solved most of my problems by re-ripping every CD I owned into a lossless format. I used flac, instead of MP3. I still retain a library of MP3s for my MP3 player as it doesn't matter as much there. An MP3 player often can't play music all that well to begin with so, you don't notice the difference as much. MIght as well save some space.

Moving away from MP3s, whenever possible, on my bigger system improved things greatly. However, I can still definitely tell the difference between a well recorded album and and poorly made one.

In short I don't believe Axiom speakers are too bright but they will teach you about poor recording qualities. I don't think they are wrong for metal as they are equally accurate with any kind of music.

Metal (rock in general) does have more than it's fair share of poor recordings compared to classical so I think this is where most of the "too bright for metal" comments may be coming from. Depending on your sensitivity, perhaps an audiophile grade speaker is not going to be your best choice but it will be important to remember that ANY well made and truly 'accurate' speaker will give you the same experience in bringing out what is truly recorded in music. However, if you dive in, I think you will find that you will be so happy listening to the good stuff that you will realize it was an Excellent choice and you will wonder how you ever lived without them.

Hope this doesn't come across as an Axiom defense tactic. it isn't meant to be. In fact I tried to refer to 'accurate speakers' in general, rather than just Axiom. Just sharing how another metalhead came to learn a little more about how audio really works and share his conclusions about his speakers.

The best advice is above though. Find somebody in the audition list in this forum who lives near you and listen to them for yourself. I'll add just a bit to it in saying bring some music you are very familiar with and also search this forum and others for some suggestions on metal that is well recorded and bring that too for a comparison. Be warned though, once you hear music on any system that compares with Axiom or is Axiom, there is no going back......

Sorry for the long reply. It helped me pass the time on two conference calls and made me look busy enough that the office lurker kept wandering by instead of pulling in to chat.

Murph #216718 07/29/08 03:54 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Opeth, Tool, NIN (not really metal, I know), most newer Metallica and the remasters (ducks), and the like sound quite good on my M80s. There are some metal albums that are poorly recorded, certainly, but you're going to run into that in many genres.

Nevertheless, I'd try to find someone whose speakers you can audition--but make sure you tell them about your musical tastes first!

Ken.C #216752 07/29/08 06:37 PM
local
local
I'm curious if any of the processing modes -- "concert hall", "jazz", etc -- on modern AVR's mitigate the effect some have observed of poorly-recorded CD's sounding bad on M80's. I wonder if there's perhaps extraneous high-frequency information on such that lesser speakers simply aren't putting out.

If the first two Scorpions albums (which were recorded badly) don't sound good on M80's, I'd be very sad.

demetman #216768 07/29/08 10:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
So why is this question so common?

First impressions linger, and sometimes fester. I remember a sales guy at a company I once worked for who planted false seeds of doubt to win a $3m contract. Quite amazingly, despite a lack of any real or manufactured evidence, it was enough to swing the customer in our direction. BS works.

The M60 is less detailed/more forgiving than the M80, but in the end you need to listen and make up your own mind. You could also consider the M50 if you are not happy with the sound the M60 delivers.

Last edited by fredk; 07/29/08 10:01 PM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #216830 07/30/08 02:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very True Fred.

Also, for the post above it. Playing with tone controls can definitely improve the sound of a 'poor recording' by masking some of the flaws. I have pretty much resigned myself to leaving them all turned off though. Just too much work to keep adjusting them as I normally listen to my entire collection on random mode and I refuse to tweak on a song by song basis. I never tend to like any of the "presets" that you speak of. They change the sound way too radically, but that's just me.

It's rare anything sounds so poorly recorded that I'm actually tempted to adjust or not listen. It's all relative. Good is SOOO good on Axioms that calling some stuff 'poor' is probably a bit unfair.

By "first two Scorpions albums", are you going all the way back to thier first release in 1972, "Lonesome Crow" or are you talking the first one to have big commercial success in North America, "Love at First Sting"? I have some CD version of "Love at First Sting." it certainly won't win any engineering rewards but it will still Rock You Like a Hurricane on my M60s. I get a little nostalgic shiver down my spine every time that opening guitar riff comes up.

Murph #216834 07/30/08 03:20 PM
local
local
Yes, Lonesome Crow and Fly to the Rainbow.

anthony11 #217474 08/06/08 03:11 AM
old hand
old hand
I like listening to metal on my M22's. Sounds fantastic.

Also because this thread is about good metal and good sounding metal......

Black Sabbath just released a box set called The Rules of Hell. 5 discs from the bands days with Dio as singer. The remastering is excellent and all metal fans should have this set. If not only to listen to the much underated Dehumanizer album.

Also (you can tell I'm a Sabbath fan?) If you can find any of Black Sabbath's not so well know albums with singer Tony Martin, you should grab them. Headless Cross, Eternal Idol, Cross Purposes. These albums were over looked because of changing times, IRS not being able to market in the US, and the old "if its not ozzy its not sabbath" thing. They are awesome metal albums and again, all metal fans should give them a listen.

Charlie

Yamaha RX-V2700 / CDC-815 , Oppo DV-980H , Axiom M22s , Paradigm DSP-3100
Official Ninja #217496 08/06/08 11:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Thanks, I wasn't aware of that set. I admit, when I think of Black Sabbath, I think of Ozzy but Dio WAILED!!! I will be checking that out.

Can you recommend any Ozzy fronted Sabbath remasters. Not that I have looked hard but everything I have sounds like they recorded it in a basement.

Murph #217552 08/06/08 09:14 PM
I have the Megadeth live album Rude Awakenings in the car. I haven't listened to it for years. It sounds pretty good. \:\)

pmbuko #217559 08/06/08 11:27 PM
old hand
old hand
There is a complete remaster of the Ozzy years with Sabbath called Black Box. All albums that Ozzy fronted are included in digipacks, and there is a very nice book included with the set.

Of course if you dont want to spend 60-90 bucks on the complete Black Box, there is a 2 (i think) cd set called Symptom of the Universe. It includes most of the hits and the remastering is from the same remastering sessions as Black Box.

Speaking of Megadeth, if your a fan you MUST seek out the Mobile Fidelity remaster of Countdown to Extinction.

Official Ninja #217594 08/07/08 12:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Ninja, I have heard a 2CD set before, probably the one you mention, and wasn't impressed enough to buy the same songs over again. I will check out the Black Box version though. I'd happily reinvest in this music if it sounds better. In fact, 1/2 my Sabbath music was on cassettes so I haven't listened to them in years and years.

Murph #217885 08/12/08 05:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Let me know how you like the Sabbath remasters.

I saw Sabbath (with DIO as Heaven and Hell) this past Saturday at the PNC Arts Center here in NJ. The show was excellent they are proving over and over to be the fathers of metal. Man, was it loud!

Also a week before that I met the band at a local record store and had them sign my "Rules of Hell" box set.

Never thought all this would be going on with my favorite band all these years later

Official Ninja #218329 08/18/08 07:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just picked up a 180g reissue LP of Metallica Kill 'Em All. My first real foray into metal. I even saw them play The Stone in San Francisco back then, w/ Motorhead as the opener.

Haven't listened yet though.

oldskoolboarder #218665 08/21/08 11:25 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Speaking of Metallica - "The Day That Never Comes" is blasting on my Axioms right now. The new single came out today on the radio and can be downloaded at http://www.missionmetallica.com (free to join) The boys are back! Very reminiscent of classic stuff from Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning

Nachosgrande #218668 08/21/08 11:39 PM
That's a really cool album cover.

pmbuko #218900 08/24/08 04:49 AM
veteran
veteran
The new Metallica song is ok, but I don't think it compares with their classic first 4 albums at all. Parts of the song sound really good, but I cringed at times too (the "this I swear!" part). Also, Lars keeps the EXACT same beat throughout the entire 2nd half of the song.

All that said, it is the closest they have sounded to well, like Metallica, since 1988 and I will be buying the new album the day it comes out just like I always do.

Last edited by cameron; 08/24/08 04:52 AM.
cameron #218905 08/24/08 02:17 PM
cameron, you don't have to buy it. ;\)

Me, I'll wait until I can hear more of the album's tracks, and then I'll consider it. My musical tastes have drifted away from metal in the last 5 or 6 years.

pmbuko #218922 08/24/08 09:05 PM
veteran
veteran
Haha yeah, I know I have a problem... \:\)

I heard a lot of clips of the St. Anger album before it came out and I still couldn't help myself.

The problem is that I love the albums Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All so much that if there is even a chance that a small part of just one of the new songs brings me back to that then it's worth the risk of buying it even though I've been burned many times now.

My head knows this new album won't be that great but sometimes the wallet doesn't listen to that. \:\)

Pmbuko, you should check out Opeth if you haven't already. If you're squeamish about growls then check out their album Damnation which is all clean vocals. If you like that, then check out Blackwater Park which is about half growls half clean. If you can get used to it, you may find yourself getting back into metal. These guys are the best metal has to offer in the last 10-15 years and they have 9 albums.

pmbuko #218929 08/24/08 10:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
My musical tastes have drifted away from metal in the last 5 or 6 years.

\:o Next thing you'll tell us you like classical. ;\)

I think there might be one or two lp/eps I used to own that I will not buy again. Hair of a Dog??

Fred

-------
fredk #218934 08/24/08 11:08 PM
J
J
[/quote]
Hair of a Dog??[/quote]

That reminds me I need to find my Nazareth Greatest Hits cd and have a listen.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #218937 08/25/08 12:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Your welcome.

Fred

-------
fredk #218939 08/25/08 12:38 AM
No, I believe it's you'res.

pmbuko #218956 08/25/08 03:11 AM
J
J
Uh-oh, I can't find it anywhere and it's not in the server so i haven't ripped it, must not have it any more\:\( I must have lent it out sometime ago, I guess I have to go buy it again.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
cameron #219332 08/28/08 03:56 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Haha yeah, I know I have a problem... \:\)

I heard a lot of clips of the St. Anger album before it came out and I still couldn't help myself.

The problem is that I love the albums Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All so much that if there is even a chance that a small part of just one of the new songs brings me back to that then it's worth the risk of buying it even though I've been burned many times now.

My head knows this new album won't be that great but sometimes the wallet doesn't listen to that. \:\)

Pmbuko, you should check out Opeth if you haven't already. If you're squeamish about growls then check out their album Damnation which is all clean vocals. If you like that, then check out Blackwater Park which is about half growls half clean. If you can get used to it, you may find yourself getting back into metal. These guys are the best metal has to offer in the last 10-15 years and they have 9 albums.

Check out the other new Metallica song that's on Itunes "My Apocalypse" sounds like something off MOP back in the day. Really!

Nachosgrande #219371 08/28/08 07:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Yeah, I do like that song better and actually the first song is growing on me too. I'm always torn when I hear new Metallica songs... I WANT to like them so much that I think it taints (haha, taint...sorry) my opinion of the songs.

cameron #219376 08/28/08 09:04 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Can't get the danged stream to work in any of my browsers on 2 computers. Gaaah.

Ken.C #219390 08/28/08 09:59 PM
yeah, teh wub seyt sucks.

pmbuko #219399 08/28/08 10:58 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, obviously some people got it to work... tried
IE7 on Vista
Firefox 3 on Vista
Safari on MacOS 10.5

pmbuko #219442 08/29/08 08:15 AM
old hand
old hand
So is anyone keen on Annihilator ? Thrash metal, baby \:\)

Regards,
David

coldrick #219450 08/29/08 01:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was quite surprised to find that I like their new single -- looks like they've heard the "sell out" criticism long enough (though they were PAINFULLY slow to catch on) and have finally gone back to their roots. Looking forward to the whole album.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #219528 08/30/08 05:24 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not sure if this is anti-metal enough, but there's a interesting NY Times article on the new album.

Wish I could hear the songs...

Last edited by kcarlile; 08/30/08 05:24 PM.

Ken.C #219529 08/30/08 06:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am interested to hear this new Metallica cd. I'll definitely purchase it. They are playing in Vancouver on December 2 which I am looking forward to. \:\)

Rock_Head #219564 08/31/08 02:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Cool article. I am really starting to get excited for the new album because the new songs are getting better every time I listen to them, where at first I wasn't sure.

I just hope and pray that the production is top notch this time...

Nachosgrande #220205 09/07/08 01:37 PM
Metallica's "The Day that Never Comes" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlahvvymkxc

pmbuko #220207 09/07/08 02:53 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I listened to a couple of minutes of it (didn't watch the video part), and I wasn't overly impressed. Seemed like a decent song, interesting riff, but it was a little slow. Maybe it gets better.

Ken.C #220209 09/07/08 03:17 PM
it does get better. Still not as good as good metallica. Their flame is practically fizzled.

pmbuko #220210 09/07/08 03:24 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
It would help if they wrote songs instead of recording little riffs and then setting them on repeat.

Ken.C #220211 09/07/08 03:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It would help if they wrote songs instead of recording little riffs and then setting them on repeat.

That sums up there last few albums. Autopilot, indeed.

St_PatGuy #220212 09/07/08 03:35 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I dunno, I liked all of the stuff up until St. Anger. At least the songs on Load and Reload had some coherency, and were actually good tunes. Even if they didn't sound like Metallica to a bunch of people.

Ken.C #220213 09/07/08 03:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I need to fill out my collection of older stuff. Looks like BB is having a sale this week.

My sister had Load and Reload and I could never get into them. Some parts were good, other meh.

St_PatGuy #220223 09/07/08 08:28 PM
mehgnificent: full of meh

pmbuko #220224 09/07/08 09:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
mehgnificent: full of meh

Exactly! \:\)

Ken.C #221025 09/15/08 12:58 AM
I
I
some (possible) new additions..

nevermore - no growls, insane guitarist(s)... s/t and in memory are slower albums, following 5 are great, with slight hesitation towards enemies of reality due to production...

opeth - watershed.... i can't get enough of this album, I was an opeth fan before, but this album is one that I can repeatedly listen to without getting bored...

carcass - heartwork... growling... but IMO their best work, every single song is a masterpiece I think...

evergrey... anything... no growls, technical band...

BLS - earlier stuff is definitely better... more raw...

into eternity - prog/thrash/...? great band, variety of singing...

mastodon - good all around...

Hope this helps...

inside4walls #222580 09/26/08 02:23 AM
old hand
old hand
I'll add some more to the Metal thread...

I've recently been listening to the newer Manowar stuff and it sounds very nice. Excellent recording and mixing.

Louder than Hell
Warriors of the World
Gods of War

Gods of war is very epic with full orchestra and all this as it is a theme album of Viking Mythology. A fun change of pace.

Official Ninja #222619 09/26/08 12:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OMG! You know what you have done here. Now Bren is going to post a picture of them in their old leather, animal fur briefs and medieval swords that is going to ruin you from listening to them ever again. He has been slowling destroying my fond memories of my metal headed youth ever since I joined this forum.

He is almost as bad as one of my best friends who destroyed another old favorite in the band Cinderella when he pointed out that the lead singer sounded a awful lot like Marge Simpson.

Of course, my recommended cure is to just play them louder!.

Murph #222620 09/26/08 12:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
He is almost as bad as one of my best friends who destroyed another old favorite in the band Cinderella when he pointed out that the lead singer sounded a awful lot like Marge Simpson.

He has a very good point there, your friend. . .

Ken.C #222621 09/26/08 12:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Speaking of Metal, I was never a believer in paying for radio (the last of the free public media) so I'm resisting getting satellite radio. However, occasionally my rentals have it and yesterday I needed a boost to stay awake. For about 4 hours I flipped back between the hard rock channel of "Octane" and the metal of "HardAttack".

Way more effective and healthy than an energy drink.

Murph #222715 09/27/08 12:45 AM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Murph
OMG! You know what you have done here. Now Bren is going to post a picture of them in their old leather, animal fur briefs and medieval swords that is going to ruin you from listening to them ever again.

HAHA, yeah I know, that was corny stuff. Still Manowar is some true pure heavy metal. Once they got past the leather and animal fur stage, even the music got better. They are keeping me a metal head no matter how old I get. \:\) Black Sabbath too. I just saw them in concert a couple months ago and those guys are in their 60s still kicking butt.

Murph #223026 09/30/08 03:15 AM
I
I
What axioms you all rocking to rock out to metal?

inside4walls #223031 09/30/08 03:30 AM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: inside4walls
What axioms you all rocking to rock out to metal?

M22s.

Official Ninja #223034 09/30/08 03:36 AM
M22s + EP500

pmbuko #223036 09/30/08 03:40 AM
J
J
M22's or M80s + PB13 Ultra, depends on which room I need to be in.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #223037 09/30/08 03:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
How do you fit the M80s and PB13 Ultra in the bathroom?

St_PatGuy #223040 09/30/08 03:43 AM
J
J
With those I don't have to fit them in the bathroom to hear what's playing.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #223042 09/30/08 03:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My problem would be trying to distinguish between the PB13 and. . .err, ne'ermind. . .

St_PatGuy #223044 09/30/08 03:51 AM
J
J
The rumblings of the PB13 just help move things along...

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #223046 09/30/08 03:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That should be their marketing slogan. "Want deep bass that'll scare the sh** out of you?"

Then they should offer free tarps with every purchase.

St_PatGuy #223047 09/30/08 03:55 AM
J
J
\:D

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #223052 09/30/08 04:08 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
M80s and an EP350.

T minus 2

Ken.C #223056 09/30/08 04:21 AM
S
regular
regular
S
do you think i shoud be using ep 600 or 500 with m80 s

Smokey Joe #223073 09/30/08 12:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
see the answers in your other post...

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #223094 09/30/08 04:20 PM
B
B
To the OP:

Check out Evile. Old-school West-coast thrash at its finest (Enter the Grave was produced by Fleming Rasmussen).

If you like NIN, you may also enjoy KMFDM (Nihil and their [Symbols] album in particular, the latter because the production is great, IMO).

Some other personal favourites that others may enjoy:

- Arch Enemy; their Live Apocalypse DVD is excellent;
- Type O Negative's October Rust;
- The Sword's Gods of the Earth;
- Black Tide's Light From Above;
- Airbourne's Runnin' Wild;
- Testament's latest, The Formation of Damnation.

And finally, metal sounds great on my M3s driven by a 20-year old Denon amp.

Bogman #223106 09/30/08 05:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Heard Black Tide on Satellite radio last week. They made it to my blackberry list to try out.

And oh ya,
M60s and an EP500 mostly
M60s alone in the upstairs living room

Ken.C #223110 09/30/08 06:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Just to help you along....to 10K
How do you like your EP350?

Rock_Head #223915 10/05/08 04:25 AM
old hand
old hand
I just picked up the Manowar SACD Warriors of the World.
Its the 1st and only SACD I have. I really like the sound of it.

I see amazon lists Black Sabbath's Paranoid is coming out on SACD.

http://www.amazon.com/Paranoid-Black-Sab...23180688&sr=8-1

Does anyone know, are there any other metal sacd's out there?

Official Ninja #223918 10/05/08 04:58 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, geez, Rock_Head, I'm sorry, I totally missed your post. Love it!

Ken.C #223980 10/05/08 07:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
No worries. I figured you were probably busy compiling info for your 10K post \:\)

Rock_Head #223982 10/05/08 07:06 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Yeah, he sure didn't disappoint with that one.

CV #225238 10/13/08 07:21 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
This made me laugh a whole lot.

Incidentally, I think those lyrics are pretty good.

Ken.C #225244 10/13/08 07:36 PM
scream solo. Yeah, it's like that.

Ken.C #226066 10/20/08 02:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Dillinger Escape Plan

Dr. House

Last edited by Dr.House; 10/20/08 02:10 AM.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #226191 10/21/08 12:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Anyone familiar with Earshot? The little bit I have heard sounds a bit like Tool.

Zarak #226216 10/21/08 11:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nope but youtube has. I'll check them out when I get some time.

Murph #226545 10/24/08 12:16 AM
buff
buff
New Venom is friggin awsome!!! New Darkthrone is out 2 weeks. New onslaught album from about a year and a half ago is crazy good!!
New Aura Noir is pure hatred!!check that out!!

New Malmsteen is out i think now it featured Tim "Ripper" Owens from Judas Priest,Iced Earth and others fame, shoul dbe one of his better cdd to date from Yngwie!

New3 Napalm Death will be out early 09 last Napalm Death, Smear Campaign was just awe inspiring and fast as you would expect from one of thge worlds greatest bands!!

Arctikdeth #251018 03/10/09 04:29 AM
S
regular
regular
S
part of the reason i want to get axioms is for some serious low frequency massage via electric wizard, sunn o))), neurosis, yob, zoroaster, etc :):):)

Scott M #251101 03/10/09 04:09 PM
old hand
old hand
Since the Metal thread has popped back up.... \:\)

Manowars Magic Circle festival Vol.2 DVD has been released.
Its full of live performances of older Manowar songs that long time fans will enjoy. The audio has a nice powerful metal sound too. Excellent loud and clear.

Also, Disc 2 has a couple sounds from Holyhell. The female singer is simply fantastic. They do a nice cover of "Dream on" on this disc.

Scott M #251107 03/10/09 04:24 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: Scott M
part of the reason i want to get axioms is for some serious low frequency massage via electric wizard, sunn o))), neurosis, yob, zoroaster, etc :):):)
For serious low frequency you need a sub, the EP800 comes to mind ;\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #259654 05/08/09 05:40 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
newbie here. just bought a set of m3's so pretty excited to to get them and hear how they sound compared to my kef 102.2's..

now though, the metal thread...Metallica rules, there, i said it \:\) saw them on their justice for all tour at red rocks colorado..incredible show...then saw all 3 nights of their black album tour...really incredible

some albums:

black--metallica
master of reality...black sabbath
unleashed in the east...priest
killer...cooper

other bands

dethklok
eisbrecher
man'0'war
rammstein
nighwish
dope stars