Can Small Bookshelves Really Cut It?
#212 08/06/01 07:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been bitten by the speaker bug, and have been auditioning bookshelf speakers over the last month. I have heard from the Klipsch RB-5s, PSB Image 2Bs, Paradigm Mini Monitor, Monitor 3s, and Studio 20s, Polk RT-35s, Infinity Il10s, and probably some others I can't remember. All of these are highly rated and in my mind all have some plusses and minuses. I have heard all of these in various stores, so I know that they won't sound the same in my home where they would have to fit into a bookshelf. I have read nothing but positive reviews of the Axiom M3ti, but the closest dealer is a 6 hour drive from me.
The problem is that I have a pair of perfectly good speakers already. They are an old pair of 4 way Kenwoods with a 12" woofer, 2 4" mids, 2 tweeters, and what used to be described as a supertweeter. They are in perfect shape with nothing wrong with the cones or the gaskets. They cover the sound spectrum from about 30hz to somewhere above 12000 fairly effortlessly. So my question is... is it worth giving up these guys and going to a smaller bookshelf speaker. Can they really create a sound with 2 speakers and a small enclosure that would top the sound I get with the 4 way big box I have now? Has anyone gone this route and what experiences did you have? Thanks

Re: Can Small Bookshelves Really Cut It?
#213 08/07/01 12:46 PM
A
old hand
old hand
A
Just a small suggestion from us -- in transitioning from large-box speakers to bookshelf, you can easily accomplish better sound and more dynamics. ''
In order to get lower frequency reproduction that is a general trait of large loudspeakers, it is very important to also compliment your bookshelf loudspeakers with a powered subwoofer.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044