AxiomAudio Blog

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
2 registered (SBrown, dakkon), 91 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13294 Members
11 Forums
22822 Topics
403165 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17739
pmbuko 16257
SirQuack 13318
CV 11136
MarkSJohnson 10829
Meanwhile On Facebook

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Friday the 13th . . . oooooh! Who's your favorite Slasher flick character?

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212 - 08/06/01 03:04 PM Can Small Bookshelves Really Cut It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been bitten by the speaker bug, and have been auditioning bookshelf speakers over the last month. I have heard from the Klipsch RB-5s, PSB Image 2Bs, Paradigm Mini Monitor, Monitor 3s, and Studio 20s, Polk RT-35s, Infinity Il10s, and probably some others I can't remember. All of these are highly rated and in my mind all have some plusses and minuses. I have heard all of these in various stores, so I know that they won't sound the same in my home where they would have to fit into a bookshelf. I have read nothing but positive reviews of the Axiom M3ti, but the closest dealer is a 6 hour drive from me.
The problem is that I have a pair of perfectly good speakers already. They are an old pair of 4 way Kenwoods with a 12" woofer, 2 4" mids, 2 tweeters, and what used to be described as a supertweeter. They are in perfect shape with nothing wrong with the cones or the gaskets. They cover the sound spectrum from about 30hz to somewhere above 12000 fairly effortlessly. So my question is... is it worth giving up these guys and going to a smaller bookshelf speaker. Can they really create a sound with 2 speakers and a small enclosure that would top the sound I get with the 4 way big box I have now? Has anyone gone this route and what experiences did you have? Thanks

#213 - 08/07/01 08:46 AM Re: Can Small Bookshelves Really Cut It?
axiomadmin Offline
old hand

Loc: Muskoka, ON
Just a small suggestion from us -- in transitioning from large-box speakers to bookshelf, you can easily accomplish better sound and more dynamics. ''
In order to get lower frequency reproduction that is a general trait of large loudspeakers, it is very important to also compliment your bookshelf loudspeakers with a powered subwoofer.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.