Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The M3ti SE are GREAT!
#2215 03/26/02 02:43 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I just wanted to let Ian and the rest at Axiom know how pleased I am with my 3ti SE speakers. These speakers are FANTASTIC! They have the kind of sound I have been searching for for years. On good recordings they have the ability to completely disappear. I must admit however that when I first got them I was not impressed with their sound at all. But after having them for a few months I now realize how wrong that first impression was. Once I allowed them some break in time they began to work their magic. And what magic it is! I really think in many ways they are the best speakers I have ever heard and I am not new to audio. Once my ears learned how to listen to these little guys I was just flabbergasted with how good they really are. I was thinking about buying one of your floor standers to replace the M3s but I like them so much now I doubt I will ever replace them. Instead, I will be buying one of your subs so I can keep the M3 sound that I have so fallen in love with (I can't wait to hear them with a sub.) Not only would I like to thank Axiom for offering such great speakers at prices anyone can afford but I would also like to leave a message for anyone thinking of buying these. JUST DO IT! And don't judge them until you have used them for a good while. If you are like me you will soon realize that these little speakers are the best buy in today's speaker market. A big THANK YOU to Ian and company.

Re: The M3ti SE are GREAT!
#2216 03/26/02 06:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
HOLOGRAM

yes, the M3's are great speakers, even if you don't factor in the cost. i'm curious to know your setup, and more specifically what wire you are using and how you have it connecting (barewire or terminated).

is this your first time hearing axiom speakers or have you heard other models?

#2217 03/28/02 07:57 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ravi

I just have a very basic system. NAD C350 integrated amp and a NAD C541i CD player. My cables and wire are just radio shack cheapos. No HT gear yet. I will soon be adding a Axiom's small 8" sub.
This system proves to me you can enjoy music without spending a fortune.
I'm really shocked by how good the M3's are. I had no idea you could find sound like this at such a low price these days.

The M3's are the only speakers from Axiom I have heard. In fact, until about four months ago I had never even heard of Axiom. I'm happy their no longer a secret to us here in the states.

#2218 03/28/02 03:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
HOLOGRAM

I have some advice to you to make your M3's sound much better. Purchase some Kimer 4PR, you can ask Marc at the Audioshop
http://www.audioshop.on.ca/

he will sell it to you at 2.80$ CAN or so per foot, which is a little under 2$ US a foot. it is well worth it. spend 20$ and get this wire, it will improve your system very much. i wasn't a believer in cables until i did a lot of tests recently. this message board is currently buzzing with topics about cables, so you can read the posts to further inform yourself.

happy listening!

#2219 03/28/02 05:59 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ravi

Thank you for the advice. As my system grows I will certainly give those cables a try. However, I must tell you that I am one of the cable and wire skeptics. I find it hard to believe that cables from different manufactures can somehow change the quality of electrons moving through the copper (after all, the wire from the cross over to the drivers will still be the same. So, what have you really gained?) But I will keep an open mind and give it a try.

#2220 03/28/02 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
HOLOGRAM

trust me, they do make a difference. No, a better cable won't let more electrons though, but it will reduce noise considerable, and a thicker wire will let more current go through. I tried three different cables last night on my M1's. Mic cable, 16 ga twisted pair, and radio shack 20 ga regular copper. The radio shack one was really bad. The twisted pair was louder, especially for bass, and had a litte less noise. The mic cable was slightly less loud, but extremely clear and free of distortion.

I'm using the mic cable now but when i have money i think i will buy kimber 4PR.

I would suggest you go to www.kimber.com and listen to the RealAudio presentation by the owner and designer of Kimber Kable to hear how each wire is designed, and why. I found it to be very informative.

#2221 03/28/02 07:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would caution everyone against believing everything professed by cable experts. While there are many respectable designers in the field, due to the extremely subjective nature of cable performance, it has unfortunately attracted those who believe the best feature of a cable is the extreme mark ups in price vs. cost.

I agree that cables make a difference, and in no way infer that the companies mentioned are less than honest, but poor companies are in this field. The problem stems from a lack of quantifiable evidence that Cable Method A is better, or produces a noticable difference than Cable Method B. While amplifier designers can discuss relative merits of Class A vs. Class AB, cable does not have that definitive design principle structure. Electrical measurements can also be proven in other areas, where cables are difficult to prove sonic qualities beyond resistance. I have compared inputs and outputs on an oscilliscope that show horrible degeneration of the sound when compared to another cable that shows no degeneration. The consequences have no bearing, as the sonic qualities were exactly the opposite - poor measured cable sounds better. While this is by no means a completely technical discussion, it simply displays the lack of guiding principles, design theories and the inherent nature of audio subjectivity.

#2222 03/29/02 08:45 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
You might find this paper from speaker designer John Dunlavy interesting.

http://www.verber.com/mark/cables.html

#2223 03/29/02 03:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, that is a very interesting comment. It seems to echo what many on this board have professes...including my thoughts.

The author provides both technical and subjective methods to the arguement, and is very passionate about the discussion. The testing he has done focused on heavy gauge wire, and would have been interesting if he had included light versus heavy (22 vs.12). I suspect the majority of people just venturing into audio are asking about size requirements as a priority just before the brand names. For example, just search this board! I think that while they may not have audible qualities vastly different, they certainly would have an affect on sound levels due to the resistance.

So as I stated in the previous post....be careful out there!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044