Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Soup & Nuts: (Final chapter)
#224 08/20/01 08:04 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
...But this is exactly what I find the most frustrating!!! They simply are not as good as a really expensive speaker. They are so good that they are bad. They do a remarkable job capturing what is music for the price. But they are slightly out of focus, slightly constrained at the extreems, and only a little round. Damn it! I like them so much because they appeal to my sense of quality, value, and fairness. But I hate them because they perfectly illustrate what the short-comings are between a good speaker and a great speaker on the Platonic scale where price is no object (remember that one from my earlier chapter?).

This all leaves me very frustrated. Who would of thought purchasing a set of speakers would raise a philosophical debate! We will have to solve this next time...

As you can see, I went a little overboard in my last installment, but the whole concept of objectivity is way over-rated! But what would music be without a little passion?

Sooooo, i've stated what the criteria are, spent considerable time listening to my speakers, and given some different ideas about life, love, and philosophy. I probaly booored many readers, but if I made one happy or laugh out loud, i'm happy. I would just like to reiterate that my whole intent in writing this essay was to add a little humor to the capturing of the content and spirit of a very nice speaker!

If I offended any shrimps, people, or emplyees of Axiom please be assured that this was never my intent and I sincerly appologize!

Now, on with my final review. I believe the Axiom M3Ti to be a very good speaker all comers accepted. Its smooth, responsive, and has a punch to the upper bass. Its soundstaging and imaging are good to very good and most importantly in totality you can listen to it all day long with pleasure. A genuine accomplishment.

This is an excelent speaker in the very compeditive sub-$300 range. As a bookshelf speaker, coupled with NAD's L40 (which I have seen for as little as $399) you can get near audiophile sound for under $700! That is truely an accomplishment.

There is one thing I was always curious about- As a starving student this would have been the speaker for me. I'd have slipped a pair in the shelves and voila! But what about the rear firing port? I think I understand the current position but if it had been front firing I might have more success with wall mounting. At the very least the inclusion of a set of foam plugs would be nice.

But, the speaker which really catches my eye is the M50ti! I think this one would have some very nice dynamics to it.

Thank you for your time,

bill

Re: Environmental Disaster: (chapter 6)
#225 10/02/01 03:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't believe I read all of the chapters to that story, I found it mostly fluff with very little in the way of substance filled too much with personal anecdotes of one who is obviously obsessed with himself...

Re: Jumbo Shrimp: (chapter 3)
#226 10/06/01 04:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am very much amused by these espresso inspired reviews. Of course I don't take them seriously, considering the amplifier used. Any loudspeaker is only as good as it's amplifier, pre-amp, source, cables etc...

Re: Jumbo Shrimp: (chapter 3)
#227 10/12/01 06:58 PM
regular
regular
I also found it entertaining to read through. The problem is that he did not place his comments about the M3's in relation to the other speakers. Did any of his previous speakers outperform the Axioms? Did they all have similar faults?

It's impossible to tell whether his perceived deficiencies were due to the rest of his system, or even whether or not he even tried to take this into account.

But it wasn't written as a 'serious' review anyways...

the author
#228 10/26/01 10:16 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Ouch! I just came back to visit. What a bunch of stereo primadonas! My....is bigger than your.....Well, please let me reiterate that the review was "serious" but in the context of a budget system. Granted, everything your saying is true, but I haven't been able to sell my first born yet to finance my habit :)

Never above the law,

bill

Re: the author
#229 01/09/02 06:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
great job..nice to see someone take the time to be both entertaining as well as informative.....i am going ahead and buying them...

Re: the author
#230 01/14/02 06:07 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I'm leaning toward buying the speakers also and enjoyed reading you're saga. It probably was not only the most entertaining for me, but I have a feeling the most accurate appraisal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters