AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
2 registered (rickavmaniac, Gary Vose Sr), 121 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22824 Topics
403213 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17740
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11139
MarkSJohnson 10831
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#23274 - 10/26/03 10:04 PM M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question
Nexus Offline

When you say the M2i has an Aluminum Woofer, does this mean it has an Aluminum cone or is the actual structure Aluminum?

#23275 - 10/26/03 11:20 PM Re: M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question
Haoleb Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Maine
Aluminum cone.

If it were an aluminum frame it would read something like:

Cast aluminum basket or around there.

#23276 - 10/26/03 11:30 PM Re: M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question
DJ_Stunna Offline
aficionado

Loc: Baltimore. MD. USA (but born a...
Yeap, the actual cone is aluminum; it is done so that it is lightweight and moves more freely (less inertia). A well done Aluminum cone can have the same benefits as implementing a phase plug (but without the added dust factor), and without the added ventilation (even though the cone acts as somewhat of a heatsink, it doesn't have too much of an effect.) The heat dissipation abilities of the aluminum cone I would belive are akin to that of an aluminum computer case (marginally better, but nothing to write home about). Although I must say, the metal cones are extremely cold to the touch when not in use (and they seem to get a bit warmer when in use, which is a good thing.)

But the fact remains that it makes the cone considerably lighter, which will improve your mid-bass accuracy.

#23277 - 10/30/03 06:13 PM Re: M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question
sushi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Dallas, TX
In addition to the lower mass, another major benefit of the aluminum-based cone is its higher rigidity, i.e., higher internal velocity of sound propagation. This means that the cone moves uniformly (without "breaking up") over a wider frequency range. A potential drawback of the aluminum cone its low intrinsic acoustic loss, or high Q around the upper-end resonance frequencies. They usually need some kind of laminated aluminum materials to "dump" the resonance (I don't know what exact treatments the Axiom cones receive).

I believe that heatsinking ability of the aluminum cone becomes fairly significant when the speaker is driven at high average power levels.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.