AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
5 registered (BBIBH, Ken.C, SirQuack, exlabdriver, CV), 53 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13313 Members
11 Forums
22855 Topics
403810 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17754
pmbuko 16268
SirQuack 13325
CV 11170
MarkSJohnson 10856
Meanwhile On Facebook

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Got your new In-Ceiling speakers yet? #atmosready http://axiomaudio.com/m3-in-c...

(y) Can't wait for the next evolution of surround sound to go mainstream!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#250034 - 03/03/09 04:05 PM I made a mistake...please help.
Zimm Offline
connoisseur

Loc: New Orleans
Today I went into a local hi-fi shop (yes, it's still 1970 in there) just to see what they had, as I had not been in that store for over 10 years. Apparently, not many others had either as most of the stuff was used - used but high-end. So I walked around, heard a few Magnapen's and some B&W Signature Series monitors, and the Paradigm Signature 8s and some giant (10 ft tall) speakers I can't recall the name of. So far, so good. They each sound good, but I’m not calling the banker for a loan. No damage, other than thinking of getting an NAD AVR to replace my Denon, because "the NAD is much better and does not have the shrill grainy sound of Denons" as the sales Dick said. Thanks a$$h@!*.

So I'm fine. Then I see a couple of little monitors in the back room. I like the cabinets, a curved job with great visual presence in a high gloss finished natural maple, so I check it out. Then Sir DipS&!%$ turns them on...so I sit in the crappy room with speakers everywhere to hear Dire Straits "You and Your Friends" for the 1,000th time, because a I had 10 minutes to kill. Besides, monitors suck, I'm safe.

Then the damn thing bit me...the bug. These little bastards made an image (in a crappy room) that blew my mind. Knopfler's voice was so clear and distinct from the guitars that I kept looking for a third speaker. I don't want new speakers, I want a new AVR and a projector not these damn half-pint monitors - I don't like monitors. But they sound soooooo gooooooood it hurts. And they are some locally made speaker with a name I can’t even find on the internet or recall with clarity (I saw it upside down and backwards).

I keep telling myself it was the $30,000 rack of transports, DACs, Cables and tube amps that made it so great, not the potentially affordable speakers. I'm screwed...I want new speakers now.

Someone help me, I'm being sucked down. DipS^!+ said they are "very revealing, fast, accurate, and will show flaws in recordings". Crap, I have heard that line before, but where???? Just don't tell me the Axioms sound like that - I don't want new speakers!
But I must have the precious...

#250037 - 03/03/09 04:10 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: Zimm]
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
Zimm, I'm sorry that I'm drawing a blank, but do you already have Axioms?

#250038 - 03/03/09 04:11 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Zimm Offline
connoisseur

QS8's only. I am was fine with PSB 5T towers.

#250039 - 03/03/09 04:11 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: Zimm]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Axioms sound just like that. Ditch the PSB's and be assimilated.

#250040 - 03/03/09 04:13 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: tomtuttle]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Loc: Central NH
What the drunk squirrel said.

I've sat down in my crappy room with stereo only and had to get up to make sure the center wasn't on. Is that what you want? \:\)

#250041 - 03/03/09 04:13 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: Zimm]
Wid Offline
axiomite

Loc: The Peoples Republic of Il.

Look for an Axiom audition, they might just surprise ya \:\)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#250043 - 03/03/09 04:20 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: MarkSJohnson]
ClubNeon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Western Maryland, USA
My question is, why aren't his PSBs doing this? My 15 year old, $350, Sony two-way towers make me check to see if I'm in ProLogic making the center channel play or it if is just the phantom imaging.
-Chris

#250045 - 03/03/09 04:27 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: ClubNeon]
Zimm Offline
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
My question is, why aren't his PSBs doing this? My 15 year old, $350, Sony two-way towers make me check to see if I'm in ProLogic making the center channel play or it if is just the phantom imaging.

No, not like that. My PSBs have a great image in general terms, and I have listened to many speakers in many price ranges. I often can't recall if my center is one, and the band is wide, and instruments detailed and distinct. I am familiar with that. I don't know how to explain, but this was just a very different experience. Reminded me of my experience with Wilson Watt Puppies (I think?) and a truck load of Krell amps. Just a level of immersion that is not the norm. It had to be the DACs and Tube Amps and...stuff, right?

#250046 - 03/03/09 04:28 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: Wid]
Ken.C Online   content

Loc: NoVA
The Dire Straits albums could sound good on tin cans with strings on them. Try it on yours before you go nuts.

#250048 - 03/03/09 04:38 PM Re: I made a mistake...please help. [Re: Ken.C]
Zimm Offline
connoisseur

I wish that was it. I have listed to that song many many times on many systems. If it was unfamiliar stuff I would agree, and just run to get the CD. But I knew this material well - and it was on CD, not DVD-A or SACD. Had to be the DAC 'n stuff (technical term).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.