Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
1 registered (frozen), 116 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12656 Members
11 Forums
22680 Topics
400362 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17695
pmbuko 16221
SirQuack 13309
CV 11054
MarkSJohnson 10666
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 63 of 98 < 1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 97 98 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#333948 - 01/08/11 11:48 PM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: CV]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have never had spam... Just doesn't look appetizing.

#333949 - 01/09/11 12:01 AM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: terzaghi]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
Me either.

#333951 - 01/09/11 12:31 AM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: Ken.C]
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
I grew up with it, my mom being from Hawaii and all. I can understand people being wary of it, but at least it's not insects, right?

#333952 - 01/09/11 01:52 AM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: CV]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
I've had it on a backpacking trip.. It's quite salty, but not gross. We fried it.

#333953 - 01/09/11 02:21 AM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: pmbuko]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
Back to the subject at hand, my wife makes some of the best beef stews ever. Yum yum yum yum yum. Different every time, too.

#333971 - 01/09/11 12:50 PM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: Ken.C]
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Loc: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
OK, tried a second batch (yes I will be eating vegetables for the rest of the week).

Tried grating the onions (actually grated about half until the onion fell apart then diced the rest) which resulted in more juice and more onion-y taste, but I don't think I cooked the sliders long enough this time.

The onions were not caramelized properly and there was too much raw onion taste. I probably used too many onions which didn't help, not used to these teeny-tiny burgers wink

Seasoning consistently reduced the difference between steaming the patty over the onions and cooking one side of the meat directly on the grill (with onions on top) but I still think the "steaming over onions" approach worked better.

I didn't put the bun on the burger until later in the cooking cycle to keep the uncooked juices out of the bun, but I think I paid a price in taste for that as well. Tom, note that covering the pan to keep the steam in is very important.

(where's Tom ? I dunno, he went out at 8am saying we needed more ground beef)

Edited by bridgman (01/09/11 12:53 PM)

#333972 - 01/09/11 12:51 PM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: bridgman]
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Sorry about the blurred pic and unappetizing-looking food, this was kind of mid-cook. Think I put the cheese on too soon as well, last time I added it much later.

And yes, I think I'll try an even smaller serving of meat next time, along with maybe half the onions. I ended up with a slider that was about 2" wide and 3" tall, which I don't think is the way they're supposed to turn out. Gravity was not being my friend, things were sliding off whenever I turned my back.

The bottom half of the bun is supposed to be stacked above the top half of the bun, but then the lid on my pan hit the stack and squashed everything together (and the bottom bun half stuck to the lid ;)).

Edited by bridgman (01/09/11 01:12 PM)

#333975 - 01/09/11 01:19 PM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: bridgman]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Couldn't find any chuck grin

John, thanks for making me aware of A Hamburger Today! What a great site!

The on-topic "Burger Lab" and ultimate slider recipe are slightly different links than the one you posted, but I expect also already familiar to you. I don't see him using a pan lid at all, but crowding the pan with the patties and buns.

My wife observed that she thinks this Kenji is now part of the America's Test Kitchens/Cooks Illustrated crew.

I LOVE recipes like this (and a lot of the Alton Brown material) where the process is unexpected.

John, thank you so much for sharing your experience on this! I know what we're having for dinner smile

#333976 - 01/09/11 01:33 PM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: tomtuttle]
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Tom, the first link you provided was one that I had seen then couldn't find again, thank you for posting it. My favorite instruction is "Consume immediately, before repeating with remaining 6 sliders."

I think you are right about the lid - a couple of recipes suggest it, most do not, and the "ultimatest" method seems to be covering the slider stacks with a towel to trap some steam but not as much as a lid.

Edited by bridgman (01/09/11 01:34 PM)

#333989 - 01/09/11 06:44 PM Re: What yummy thing are you eating tonight? [Re: bridgman]
bridgman Offline
axiomite

I just noticed that Tom posted a link to the original Fatty Melt (4 ounce beef patty between two grilled cheese sandwiches) back in 2008. That may have been where I first saw the site.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008...as-its-bun.html

Of course two years later a burger with only two grilled cheese sandwiches, one patty and no bacon seems almost stingy by today's standards :

That was then:

This is now:

Anyways, I may not be able to cook sliders but I did just have an great pizza. The crust was really good, and the toppings were well balanced (which is unusual for me, I tend to add too much of everything). Used a commercial wing sauce instead of tomato sauce (no good for wings but great for pizza), topped with a tex-mex cheese blend, jerk pork, green pepper, onion and a few Thai bird chilis. 11 minutes at 500F then sprinkled with oregano and basil. Spicy enough that you have to pause, breathe in through your mouth (to cool the burn) and contemplate the flavors for a minute before continuing. Paired with a Chimay Triple. Yum.

Tom, hope the sliders work out well. If nothing else they're great fun to cook, like a mix between toy hamburgers and a chemistry set wink

Edited by bridgman (01/09/11 07:02 PM)

Page 63 of 98 < 1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 97 98 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.