Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
4 registered (SBrown, BobKay, MarkSJohnson, Ken.C), 115 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12704 Members
11 Forums
22682 Topics
400470 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17696
pmbuko 16224
SirQuack 13311
CV 11060
MarkSJohnson 10678
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#293879 - 02/25/10 08:15 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: tomtuttle]
Micah Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Indiana you hoser!!!!
Hey Gene don't sweat it, we're all deserving of criticism from time to time, it's what keeps us on our toes.

I noticed it as soon as I saw the quote Grunt threw up on here, I thought, "wow, looks like a cut and paste job from the EP800 product page"... then when I clicked on the link it said, "according to Axiom".... and then the quote began. I don't know if that's what it originally said, or if you went back and edited it, but those three words were sufficient to inform the reader that this was not in fact a review by you, but Axiom's opinion. And that's good enough for me.

I read a TON of motorcycle magazine's, and when an edition comes out with a new bike that they haven't had time to test themselves they will often times quote the press release from the manufacturer... but they let you know that, and they say, "we'll have a full review next issue" or some such acknowledgement that these are not necessarily their opinions of the bike. And that's all we ask for. Certainly with all the new products that come out every year, there's no way an e-zine like yours can review all of them. And just because you weren't able to review a certain product I don't feel should exclude it from any awards it might deserve.

But understand we just went through a big thread about this sort of "lazy journalism" a week or so ago. So right now we're all very hip to it, and that sort of stuck out like a sore thumb... I agree, it looked like that very thing to me when I read it as well. And you have to understand here in the Axiom community we don't lambast others for such a thing and look the other way if it's an Axiom product. No no, Axiom is held to even higher standards than their competition around here. There aren't many bigots around this forum.

A product forum that keeps it's own product in check... now that's refreshing, eh? ;\)

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD

#293884 - 02/25/10 09:03 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: Micah]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
Gene,

You are a great service to the audio industry and to this day Audioholics offers some of the most technical and in-depth reviews from an objective and subjective standpoint. Not many other places take apart the product, do extensive measurements and provide a subjective opinion without adding any BS.

As to "audioholics going down the tubes" is simply not true . I am interesed how one can come to that conclusion? Their reviews are better than ever and YES products that are sold in their store are held to their same review standards and do get CRITIZED (OPPO SE is latest example).

-Max Payne

#293886 - 02/25/10 09:30 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: grunt]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Wow, I would have made sure to explain what the CE awards meant in the first post if I’d realized no one knew or didn‘t understand the lead-in to the article. And here I though I needed to get out more. ;\)

I missed that one too. I thought that this was the Best product of the year stuff and was left scratching my head.

That said...

"The prestigious Audioholics Consumer Excellence (CE) Awards program ..."

1. its based on what manufacturers submit
2. its based on a read of the specs.

I'm not sure how that makes these awards prestigous. I guess Audioholics can be forgiven a little puffery, but still, as you can see from Genes responses here, its not usually their style.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#293896 - 02/25/10 10:16 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: fredk]
GDS Offline
frequent flier

Loc: Florida
 Quote:

1. its based on what manufacturers submit
2. its based on a read of the specs.

I'm not sure how that makes these awards prestigous. I guess Audioholics can be forgiven a little puffery, but still, as you can see from Genes responses here, its not usually their style.

There is a little more to it than that:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/2009-consumer-excellence-awards

#293899 - 02/25/10 10:59 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: 2x6spds]
bigwill2 Offline
aficionado

Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
And Alan is proud that his text ends up word for word as a review.

I didn't read anything in Alan's post to indicate that.

#293904 - 02/25/10 11:34 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: bigwill2]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Did you expect anything less?

#293905 - 02/25/10 11:37 PM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: alan]
JohnK Offline

"According to Axiom" and "is said" was adequate to inform me of the origin of the comments.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#293909 - 02/26/10 12:02 AM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: GDS]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Thank you for the link Gene. Maybe I'm just not enough of an AV geek to recognize how most of these products push the envelope.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#293911 - 02/26/10 12:13 AM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: JohnK]
Ken.C Online   content

Loc: NoVA
As far as I remember, those are the edits made after our earlier comments.

#293912 - 02/26/10 12:48 AM Re: EP800 wins an award [Re: GDS]
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
 Originally Posted By: GDS
If Axiom and others aren't happy with us picking their subwoofer for the award, we can very easily retract it if that makes everyone feel better.

Who was the runner-up? Then we can make an informed decision on whether to be upset or not. \:\) Seriously, though, don't take your ball and go home. Thanks for addressing the criticism.

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.