Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
My listening room
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12822 Members
11 Forums
22694 Topics
400705 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17699
pmbuko 16227
SirQuack 13311
CV 11067
MarkSJohnson 10698
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300526 - 04/06/10 07:57 AM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: michael_d]
Argon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Oak Ridge, NC
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
8000 HP?! I had no idea they were that crazy.

I thought it might be fun to watch on TV, but drag racing is intensely boring if you're not there.

They used to hover right about 6000HP and were limited to 500 CID when I was in the game a decade or so ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve been able to squeeze out another 25%. I never did build anything that would burn nitro, but did build a few pro-mods in the 700 CID / 2000HP range that ran on alcohol. Drive a sub 10 second car down the track once and you’ll forever be hooked on drag racing. Nothing quite like it and you’ll never appreciate just how much skill / talent it takes to keep that dam thing straight until you do. My first attempt was on a country road out in the middle of Texas. I immediately launched the car off the road, through a fence, over an arigation ditch and about half way through a field of ready to harvest alfalfa. Wasn’t any graceful way of sneaking away from that one……

The Pro Stock guys seemed to be a bit more "driving" the car. The top fuel guys - it seemed like "hit the switch and hang on". The 1/4 mile times were in the 3.98 second range.

#300527 - 04/06/10 07:59 AM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: Ken.C]
Argon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Oak Ridge, NC
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Oh, I'm sure it's a blast to drive (lesser to be there, but still!), but watching it on TV doesn't do it for me.
We got home in time to watch it on ESPN. TV doesn't come close to doing it justice......

#300535 - 04/06/10 09:51 AM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: Argon]
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
I had gone to a dragstrip a couple of times years ago, and there is no way it can be captured on camera.

I mostly remember jet cars. Though the nitro ones had lower times, the jet cars would "blip" their throttles to edge up to the line and you would just feel it in your chest.

I put together a video many years ago with a Satriani soundtrack, but I couldn't mix everything louder than everything else as I wanted to!

#300555 - 04/06/10 11:36 AM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
I've never been to an F1 race before($200-500 per tick!!) but I've heard the same thing. People have no idea how loud and fast these cars can go, either in a straight line or round a corner until you see them live according to a former coworker of mine who used to travel all over the world to watch the races.

#300558 - 04/06/10 11:46 AM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: Adrian]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
100% Threadjack.

#300560 - 04/06/10 11:48 AM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: tomtuttle]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

99%....I always like to leave a little room for improvement

Hey, to rerail here....racing does SOUND better with some Axioms!!

#300581 - 04/06/10 01:36 PM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: Argon]
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Argon

The Pro Stock guys seemed to be a bit more "driving" the car. The top fuel guys - it seemed like "hit the switch and hang on". The 1/4 mile times were in the 3.98 second range.

The fuel cars aren't racing the 1000' track anymore?

I saw one of the four-wide drag races on TV a while back, too much happening too quick ... it was neat but I'd prefer the traditional two lane races if I were at the track watching. How neat would it be to get some db readings whenever a fuel car went by you, those freaking things are LOUD!

smile

#300582 - 04/06/10 01:38 PM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: RickF]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

How 'bout them offshore boats, Rick. They're pretty loud too!!

#300585 - 04/06/10 01:44 PM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: Adrian]
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Not *that* loud Adrian ... actually some of the turbine boats are relatively quiet, a 'cool' kind of quiet.

We are talking about offshore racing boats, right?

smile

#300586 - 04/06/10 01:46 PM Re: I don't hesitate to recommend Axiom [Re: RickF]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Yes. Maybe the sound carries a lot more on the water though. Sometimes on Lake Ontario you can hear them, but it's hard to see them as they're so far out.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.