AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
4 registered (exlabdriver, Gary Vose Sr, jasonw1701, Hansang), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22824 Topics
403213 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17740
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11139
MarkSJohnson 10831
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Page 6 of 15 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#344464 - 04/07/11 12:27 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: medic8r]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
Very true!

One of the grave travesties is that corporations are citizens under the law.

#344467 - 04/07/11 01:11 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: Ken.C]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
What an interesting perspective.

He also touches on the misuse/abuse of psychology to sell. Increasingly, over the years, advertisers use psychology to sell their product. What better way to sell, then to get into the inner constructs of the human psyche? With the help of well-paid researchers and psychologists, advertisers now have access to in-depth knowledge about children’s developmental, emotional and social needs at different ages.

In 1999, Gary Ruskin, head of Commercial Alert, and Allen Kanner, a clinical psychologist, wrote a letter to The American Psychological Association (APA). This letter targeted the misuse of psychology in the field of advertising. The letter’s main statement was that psychologists were using their knowledge “to promote and assist the commercial exploitation and manipulation of children”. The letter went on to state that psychologists were “helping corporations influence children for the purpose of selling products to them”. Ruskin and Kanner appealed to the APA, saying that the core mission of the APA - “to advance the understanding of the human psyche in order to promote health” - was being undermined by psychologists' association with advertising.

It is this exploitation and manipulation of children that Ruskin and Kanner, as well as 60 other psychologists that signed the letter, wanted to bring to the public eye. The letter also spoke of the laws that protect children in other countries:

“Sweden and Norway prohibit television advertising directly targeting children below twelve years of age. Greece bans television advertising of toys to children between 7:00am and 10:00pm. Quebec prohibits television advertising directed at children below the age of thirteen. However, in the United States, children have no such protections, nor any protection against the use of psychological insights and expertise to manipulate or influence them”.

Easy to see several reasons why we're a nation of fatsos, when toddlers can identify the Golden Arches.

#344477 - 04/07/11 02:01 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: medic8r]
BobKay Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Massachusetts Badlands
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
What an interesting perspective.

Easy to see several reasons why we're a nation of fatsos, when toddlers can identify the Golden Arches.

I'd check in with (the late) Melvin Levine before I jumped to any conclusions.

#344491 - 04/07/11 03:06 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: medic8r]
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
What difference if the sheep unanimously pass a resolution in favor of vegetarianism if the wolves are of a different opinion on the matter.

#344502 - 04/07/11 03:59 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: 2x6spds]
BobKay Offline
connoisseur

Doesn't that depend entirley upon which country is lending air support to the Sheep Insurgents?

Or have the Wolves brokered a no-grandmother-zone agreement?

Edited by The Bob (04/07/11 04:00 PM)

#344505 - 04/07/11 04:11 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: BobKay]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
"I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay [Rays] payroll. You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter? That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?"

--Buck Showalter on the New York Yankees eeerrrrrr Boston Redsox smile

-Max Payne

#344506 - 04/07/11 04:19 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: BlueJays1]
BobKay Offline
connoisseur

Again:

"Bite Me!"----Bob K.

Edited by The Bob (04/07/11 04:20 PM)

#344509 - 04/07/11 04:27 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: BlueJays1]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
"I don't remember them beating us that much. Maybe there was some different schedule, I don't know."

Terry Francona, 3-27-11

#344514 - 04/07/11 04:45 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: BobKay]
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: The Bob
Doesn't that depend entirley upon which country is lending air support to the Sheep Insurgents?

Or have the Wolves brokered a no-grandmother-zone agreement?

Bob, in Libya we are supporting the wolves against the wolves.

#344515 - 04/07/11 05:02 PM Re: Favorite Quotes [Re: 2x6spds]
SirQuack Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Iowa
Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall "Pink" Floyd wants to do, man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Page 6 of 15 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.