AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
5 registered (FrankeeD, oakvillematt, bluray, St_PatGuy, Wid), 122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22824 Topics
403213 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17740
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11139
MarkSJohnson 10831
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#351229 - 06/30/11 12:29 PM File sharing IS good for the music industry.
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Found an interesting article on arstechnica

Looks like the shoe is finally on the other foot. Hope artists use it to kick industry arses really hard.

--------------------
The new business model
So what is emerging is an increasingly "ephemeral" global music culture based not upon the purchasing of discrete physical packages of music, but on the discovery and subsequent promotion of musicians through file sharing. The big winner in this model is not the digital music file seller, but the touring band, whose music is easily discoverable on the 'Net. As with so much of the rest of the emerging world economy, the shift is away from buying things and towards purchasing services—in this case tickets to concerts and related activities.

"Some artists and music labels are making full use of filesharing and the participatory culture it sustains rather than rejecting it," Cammaerts and Meng note. "In the process, these artists and music labels are developing useful alternative models for revenue generation."

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#351230 - 06/30/11 12:44 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: fredk]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
Good find, Fred! Thanks for sharing!

#351234 - 06/30/11 12:58 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Some random location
Pooey. I still want the CD.

#351235 - 06/30/11 01:15 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: CatBrat]
ClubNeon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Western Maryland, USA
The album is a creation of the media companies too. A way of forcing people to pay for things they don't want. Sure, I'll buy the full CD of an artist that I really like, and I trust to be able to make a dozen songs I'll enjoy. But more often than not, there's only three tracks I want to hear out of the collection.

Many of the artists I'm listening to these days don't even release albums. As they finish a track they put it up for streaming and offline purchase. This model works really well for me.
-Chris

#351245 - 06/30/11 02:19 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: ClubNeon]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
The album is a creation of the media companies too. A way of forcing people to pay for things they don't want.

Sort of. Media distribution was not quite as flexible as today way back when the album was king. For a short while, it was the most efficient means of distribution.

I just thought that the article was a well written overview of how the industry is changing and why. I REALLY want artists to benefit from changes. No artists = no music. Everything else is just transitory support. In the case of big music companies, it became a leech then giant boat anchor.

-------

#351251 - 06/30/11 02:33 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: fredk]
grunt Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Nirvana
All I can say is that my music purchases have increase at least 50 fold because of file sharing though most of those purchases probably aren’t considered “mainstream” bands.

#351294 - 07/01/11 02:04 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: grunt]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Originally Posted By: grunt
All I can say is that my music purchases have increase at least 50 fold because of file sharing though most of those purchases probably aren’t considered “mainstream” bands.

Dude, look at your avater. You're not normal. wink

Seriously though, industry wide revenues from music sales have been falling for years. It's nice to see that people are still spending on music. It is amazing how many summer music festivals there are these days.

-------

#351308 - 07/01/11 04:53 PM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: fredk]
grunt Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Nirvana
Quote:

Dude, look at your avater. You're not normal.

If you only knew . . . .

My latest thing at work is making little stick figures out of twist-ties and standing them in my empty mail cubicle. Recently I’ve started giving them flags to hold and yesterday a twist-tie dog. No one has said anything yet, I think they’re afraid to.

Before that it was making “ear-buddies” and putting them all over the building. They are these bullet shaped foam earplugs called ear-buds (hence “buddies”). I drew various faces on them and stuck them all over the place. Best part is other people picked up on that one and started doing it so they multiplied like rabbits. It drove our anal-retentive Chief so nut he made them stop ordering them and switch to the cylindrical ones.

#351327 - 07/02/11 11:11 AM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: grunt]
BobKay Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Massachusetts Badlands
Originally Posted By: grunt
Quote:

Dude, look at your avater. You're not normal.

If you only knew . . . .

My latest thing at work is making little stick figures out of twist-ties and standing them in my empty mail cubicle. Recently I’ve started giving them flags to hold and yesterday a twist-tie dog. No one has said anything yet, I think they’re afraid to.

Before that it was making “ear-buddies” and putting them all over the building. They are these bullet shaped foam earplugs called ear-buds (hence “buddies”). I drew various faces on them and stuck them all over the place. Best part is other people picked up on that one and started doing it so they multiplied like rabbits. It drove our anal-retentive Chief so nut he made them stop ordering them and switch to the cylindrical ones.

Dean, you are my newest object of idolatry. Sublty driving bosses nuts is an art form.

#351330 - 07/02/11 11:37 AM Re: File sharing IS good for the music industry. [Re: BobKay]
St_PatGuy Online   confused
axiomite

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
The "ear-buddies" thing makes me think of "Trouble with Tribbles."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.