Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VP150/M60s, the 'buzz noise' and where we're at
#3619 06/14/02 04:04 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well i thought i'd start up a new thread on the 'buzz' issue. That other one was getting cluttered and completely got away from the topic of the original post.

I sat down with the M60s again myself this morning with a clear head to listen one more time, then i called customer service. I talked with Joe today and tried to give him a listen over the phone.
Joe suggested swapping the left and right speakers to help diagnose whether the buzz sound was an issue with the woofers or the source material (a great and simple idea).
Unfortunately the buzz still remained while trying all 3 songs with the speakers switched. I isolated the buzz to 2 of the 6 inch woofers (bottom of one speaker and middle of the 2nd speaker).
So Joe is sending me out 2 replacement woofers today and we'll see what happens.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: VP150/M60s, the 'buzz noise' and where we're at
#3620 06/14/02 10:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Please keep us posted as to the results. I was going to suggest a way for you to try to "isolate" each individual driver to help determine which was responsible for the buzzing sound - but it seems that you have already managed to do that.

Good luck!

Randyman

#3621 06/15/02 07:26 PM
I posted about a wierd noise I have with an EP175 recently. I guess actually I could classify the type of noise reproduced as a buzzer probably. Do you have this noise with low volume, or only when you start increasing the volume?. For me it sounded as an air flow generated noise, as compressed air escaping quickly producing this noise.
Axiom said they are going to send me a new sub, but I have my doubts if this is a failure or a feature...

#3622 06/15/02 07:46 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, after re-checking connections and woofer screws the other night, I rented Mothman Prophecies again and checked the scene with the phone ring. The distortion is still there. But I also played "musical centers" and hooked the center pre-out up to my left and right mains, and still heard the distortion. This tells me that unless I'm unlucky enough to have a problem with the same frequency in all 3 speakers, it's probably source related.

Going back to the 5th Element disc, I checked the "Opera" scene. Her singing is clean, but when the music kicks in and Leloo is fighting, I hear what sounds like possible distortion. But it's hard to tell since there's a lot going on sonically by that point and it could just be the soundtrack. I didn't have a chance to swap speakers for this scene, maybe tomorrow.

I've got the Diana Krall disc on order, so I'll check that when it gets here. I'm still a bit nervous about 2 screws being loose on that right tweeter, though. I guess for now I'll just keep a close eye on it.

Re: VP150/M60s, the 'buzz noise' and where we're
#3623 06/15/02 09:28 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Chances are if you get the same sound with the new driver it may not be the speaker. If you are really unsure about this then return the speaker to Axiom so they can test it themselves. If the speaker proves faulty, i'm almost positive they will send you out a brand new unit.
Axiom customer service and their policies with customers problems have been absolutely stellar so far in my experience. I personally believe that Axiom also produces some of the highest quality speakers for their price range. A good friend of mine who does electronics and speaker repairs for a living (and who has seen those crazy $100, 000 speaker systems) commented the other day on the nice Vifa tweeters in the M22s. If anyone can corroborate that observation i would really like to know.
All these people on the forums would not be here if Axiom was not a quality company.

Just offhand though, your problem does not sound like my own. The buzz in my speaker is definitely mechanical in nature directly related to 2 of the 6 inch woofers. It is best described as the woofer vibrating against something right behind it in the driver basket which occurs at a certain range of low frequency sounds. The 2 other 6 inch woofers on my M60s do NOT make this sound hence i can only assume i have 2 defective drivers.
Axiom is sending me replacements. No other M60 owners have yet found this problem although something similar was mentioned about center channels which is what precipitated this thread.

#3624 06/15/02 09:32 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
That's an interesting experiment with the fronts and the center pre-out connection.
As you said, the distortion was still there so perhaps it is a source problem then.

Was the sound originating with any type of frequency or just sounds in a certain range?

The Diana Krall music was helpful for determining the frequency range causing any problems because of her low and high voice accompanied by the cello notes and piano notes. Holly Cole Trio has very similar music.

#3625 06/17/02 03:57 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I agree the distortion on the phone ring in Mothman Prophecies was almost certainly source-related since it happened with all 3 speakers. At this point I'm thinking the problem may just be a combination of my imagination and a very revealing speaker, who knows. I seem to be very sensitive to things like distortion/artifacts/etc, for both audio and picture quality. My wife thinks I'm crazy though...

I will certainly be listening for any problems in the future, and I'll check the Diana Krall disc when I get it. I hope your driver replacements solve your problem.

#3626 06/18/02 03:40 AM
old hand
old hand
I only heard the buzzing from one woofer (the right one) on the VP150, and only while listening to Diana Krall's DVD. It was just her vocals and the bass: the vocals were clear and nice, while the bass alone caused the buzz from the woofer. Since then, I have played that track a few other times and have not heard it.

Keepin' my fingers crossed...

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
#3627 06/18/02 02:41 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Just out of curiousity, what kind of volume levels are you using?
The buzz in my 2 (out of 4) woofers never appeared until i had the volume at the 'party' level. A lower, typical easy listening volume produced no buzz but again as i mentioned earlier, the higher volumes i was using should still be well within the capability range of both the speaker and the receiver.
Hopefully the 2 woofer replacements will arrive today.

#3628 06/19/02 09:46 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, here we are on day 5 and the replacement drivers have yet to arrive.
I'm starting to get quite annoyed with CanPost and other couriers most especially UPS (note that is not USPS).

Lately i've received items at very odd intervals.
Two parcels from the same source in Ontario and one takes 3 days to arrive and the other takes 9!!

UPS parcel from B.C. took nearly 14 days to get here and when it did, the package was mostly wrecked and they left it outside my door without even ringing the bell. This is not the first time that UPS has delivered items in such a fashion. Twice before, same situation although the delivery time was a bit quicker, 4 days and 5 days from B.C. respectively. Thanks for leaving the computer monitor out in the rain. It really enjoyed the shower you jerks.

Axiom speakers ordered just over 2 weeks ago now had arrived over 2 separate days via Fedex with the first set arriving 5 days after ordering.The second half of the m60s came on the next and 6th day.

Call me crazy but isn't Fedex supposed to be 3-5 days max. by ground?
At least they make you sign for the parcels.

I hate waiting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082