AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (Kevin1), 130 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22897 Topics
404609 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10900
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#371833 - 04/01/12 10:40 PM New 2 channel setup
Wegiz Offline
veteran

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
About 8 years or so ago, I stumbled across this forum as I was looking to get my first real stereo system. I wound up getting a pair of m60s and an HK3480 receiver and was truly thrilled with the sound. After awhile, we built out a home theater system in the basement, and the m60s were moved downstairs and were joined a VP150 and QS8s, sub, and Onkyo receiver. The sound is truly better than at the movie theater.

Alas, I missed having a stereo in the living room, so Im finally ordering a new pair of speakers for a dedicated two channel setup. Ive decided to get these speakers in real wood, so Ive ordered a few samples from Axiom (Walnut with Cinnamon, and Cherry Nutmeg), and waiting for those to arrive gives me time to finalize the speaker choice.

Ill be dusting off the old HK 3480, which I think should provide plenty of juice for my small to medium sized living room. I really loved the sound of the m60s, but sometimes would have liked a little more bass. So this pushes me to ordering the m80s. I think the new omni-directional speakers would probably be way overkill for me, and would bust the budget to boot.

Anyway, I dont think I have any real questions, Im just excited to be ordering some new speakers. Feel free to comment though, Id love any feedback that anyone might have.
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC

#371835 - 04/01/12 10:55 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
Lampshade Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Holbrook, MA
M80s in real wood. Done deal. No need for a sub and you will have all the awesomeness you could ever want(we won't hound you to upgrade).

#371837 - 04/01/12 11:05 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Frank, long time no see; good to hear from you again reporting from the center of academic excellence. Welcome back!

The comment I'd have would be that a "dedicated two channel setup"(presumably for music primarily)isn't in my view the way to go. My own listening is probably about 99% music and I never listen to two-channel source material using only front speakers. Extracting the surround ambience(using DPLII,etc.)that was picked up by the microphones and mixed into the front channels(there was no place else to put it)and sending it to the surrounds where it belongs significantly increases the realism and enjoyment of listening to great music.

I'd suggest providing for QS surrounds and using one of the Onkyo or Denon HT receivers which are available at very reasonable prices as factory refurbs.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#371839 - 04/01/12 11:16 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Wegiz
Anyway, I dont think I have any real questions, Im just excited to be ordering some new speakers. Feel free to comment though, Id love any feedback that anyone might have.

Nice! If you enjoyed the M60s, you will be very happy with the M80. Walnut if a personal favourite of mine. I love the grain highlights. I think it stands up to the best of the wonderfully grained exotic woods we have access to these days.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#371840 - 04/01/12 11:16 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

You could always throw in a pair of EP500's or 800's for good measure..... run them next to your 80's, Just throwing that out there laugh

Good luck on making your decision on buying your new speakers... Make sure to share photos!

You dont happen to work/go to/ or are affiliated with U of M in any way are you? I always wanted to go to college there.....

#371842 - 04/01/12 11:25 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: dakkon]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Yeah, Alex; that was the reason for my "center of academic excellence" comment(and where I got my J.D.).

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#371844 - 04/01/12 11:25 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
St_PatGuy Offline
axiomite

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Congrats, Frank! Post pics when you get the speakers all set up. You're going to have a fantastic two channel system!

#371847 - 04/01/12 11:36 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: JohnK]
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yeah, Alex; that was the reason for my "center of academic excellence" comment(and where I got my J.D.).

Finally we can agree on something.... Even though i have not gotten any of my education from that institution..... when i was growing up my uncle took along with him regularly to do research for his PhD., many years ago before almost all research was available on the interweb.....

#371976 - 04/02/12 09:00 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
Wegiz Offline
veteran

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Thanks for the nice comments. I've been reading the forums on and off for years, and can't wait to finally hear the M80s. I really liked the sound of my M60s, especially when paired with a small subwoofer. I'm hoping the M80s will achieve that depth of sound without the sub. Or course, I already have the wiring in place, so if I wind up needing a little something extra, ordering an EP500 would be pretty easy. smile

Oh, and no, I don't work at or attend UofM. I actually went to school nearby at one of Michigan's arch rivals -- MSU. I take no end of grief for that fact at work.
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC

#374181 - 04/24/12 09:31 PM Re: New 2 channel setup [Re: Wegiz]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Wow! Welcome back, Frank! M80's in real wood sound like an excellent choice. Those are the finishes I was curious about, too.

I don't know when I'll start assembling additional systems of that scale, but I certainly envy your ability to indulge the hobby a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.