Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
4 registered (pmbuko, dakkon, BobKay, SpenceJT2003), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12729 Members
11 Forums
22686 Topics
400544 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17697
pmbuko 16225
SirQuack 13311
CV 11064
MarkSJohnson 10682
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37461 - 04/24/04 05:26 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
bigjohn Offline
connoisseur

Loc: San Angelo, TX
chess-

i just had to laugh when you make the comparison from ya'lls different ideas in speaker break-in, to a meteor crashing into earth.. should these two analogies even be used in the same paragraph??

come on guys, were not talking about the 'end of the world' here.. its just speakers. if you like em, great, keep em.. if you dont, send them back.

with all due respect to everyone, this argument just gets tiring?!?!

bigjohn

#37462 - 04/24/04 09:45 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
rcvecc Offline
aficionado

Loc: east haven ct
hey if you guys dont cut it out bigjohn is gonna lock all of you in a room and make you listen to the village people on a bose system

#37463 - 04/24/04 09:50 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
James_T Offline
aficionado

Loc: Seattle WA
wow. i guess he is one very cruel mofo...

#37464 - 04/24/04 10:00 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
player8 Offline
aficionado

Loc: PHX/Flagstaff, AZ
Why can't speakers be like hats or a pair of jeans? When you first buy a hat it is stiff and unmanagable, after days of wearing and messing with the bill, it takes it shape and more or less stays that way for the rest of the hat's life. It might continually become more flexible over the years (or degrade) but it will be at a very decreasing rate. The materials in a speaker driver and hat are obviously different (and thus possible irrelevant) but the principles don't neccessarily have to be.

#37465 - 04/24/04 11:21 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
pmbuko Online   content
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Chess, I completely agree with you. It's frightening how little the general population knows about science and how it works. The fact is, no matter how much anecdotal or personal evidence you have in support of audio phenomenon X (be it break-in, differences btw. cables, SS amplifiers sounding different, etc.), you cannot trust it until it's been tested in a controlled environment. This is a basic tenet of science. Even scientists have personal biases. This is precisely why double-blind tests are so often used.

Now, cheese-toast (please forgive me ), being the most vocal (and likely the most qualified -- especially after sushi's departure) representative of the scientific community on this board, your responsibility is greater than you might imagine. To many here, you are the only real-world scientist they've ever had a conversation with. That role comes with a great burden, of which I'm sure you're aware.

Stomping all over someone's current belief system is no way to show them the error of their ways. I admire you for holding the torch of logic, methodology, and reason, but try to keep it held high. It's very tempting to swing it around and fling embers about, but burned people hold grudges.

Edited by pmbuko (04/24/04 11:48 PM)

#37466 - 04/24/04 11:26 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
Ajax Offline
axiomite

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Pretty eloquent, Peter. Well reasoned, also.

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

#37467 - 04/25/04 12:08 PM Re: M60's vs Rockets Home Audtion saga
Petre Offline
hobbyist

Post by Cheeseroo .... "I actually find it a fascinating thing to try and setup such an experiment in home when i get the chance to audition some equipment. Maybe others just don't want to bother. "
--------------------------------------------------

Cheeseroo .... I would love to take that challenge.

Especially if I could pick the speakers. I guarantee if you have moderatly good ears , you'd hear before and after difference in controlled conditions.

I've owned all kinds of gear over the years and some speakers break in much more than others IMO.

VIFA's IMO have a very noticable "improvement"

B&W's FST mids definately breakin. (Just too stiff out of the box)

Most all subs loosen up after some good pounding. Especially ones with the heavy "foam" surrounds.

Like other theories I've tested this over the years and come to the conclusions I have rather than guess about it. I also tested high end speaker cables over regular 12 ga stranded and even SOLID wire .... I'll bet no one can tell the difference in a blind test. (Yet their are many scientific papers on why they sound better )

Anyway ... again ... My apologies . It was an honest to goodness mistake on your name.

In the end ... I'm just another music lover with far too much gear. In that regard I think many of us here are kindred spirits.

Edited by Petre (04/25/04 12:15 PM)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.