AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (CV, bridgman, pmbuko), 89 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22875 Topics
404263 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17768
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11195
MarkSJohnson 10878
Meanwhile On Facebook

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#390501 - 03/02/13 12:41 AM A/V receiver specs question?
Mad_Chesser Offline
veteran

Loc: B.C., Canada
I know I'm asking lots of questions lately..sorry

This is in regards to buying a new receiver

1) Speaker Crossover Settings, what's best: Global or Independent? I've JUST joined the "new age" of HT about 6 months ago, only reading and scouring the internet, and I'd guess independent would be better?

2) I'm debating hard between a Marantz SR5007 and a Pioneer SC-61...STILL. lol Personally, I'm leaning towards Pioneer's sound. I just like it a bit better. But not a LOT better. I'm a tweaker. I love tweaking settings, so Pioneer's MCACC would be a good fit for someone like me.

But I'm also told you can't EQ/adjust levels of subwoofers with MCACC. The audyssey the Marantz is equipped with does this very well I've read. Is this very important? Is there any way I can do this with the Pioneer(even if I have to buy some other piece of equipment like a SPL meter)?

And which would you pick if it was you and why?

edit: my planned subwoofer is a SVS pb13-ultra which has EQ built in should I need to mess with it. Would I be able to still make it blend nicely without the Pioneer's features?
Pioneer SC-61
Rotel RMB-1095
51" Samsung Plasma

#390505 - 03/02/13 01:39 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: Mad_Chesser]
brwsaw Offline
connoisseur

I didn't know independant was an option until recently. If I was upgrading I would choose to go this route.
Having that much more control just makes sense, especially if your speakers
have different capabilities.

Chesseroo

#390506 - 03/02/13 01:41 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: brwsaw]
Mad_Chesser Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: brwsaw
I didn't know independant was an option until recently. If I was upgrading I would choose to go this route.
Having that much more control just makes sense, especially if your speakers
have different capabilities.

What's the difference? The elite has global, the Marantz has independent.

I've seen some of the menu screen on the SC-57. My dad has messed around with setting speakers to small and large, set the lfe crossover at 80hz, but that's all I really remember.
Pioneer SC-61
Rotel RMB-1095
51" Samsung Plasma

#390507 - 03/02/13 02:03 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: Mad_Chesser]
brwsaw Offline
connoisseur

My Yamaha is "global", all 9 speakers share the same cross over. The cross over of my least capable pair.
If all my speakers were worth keeping it wouldn't matter but...

Chesseroo

#390508 - 03/02/13 02:15 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: Mad_Chesser]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Nick, independent crossover settings for each group of speakers is generally a very desirable feature. It could be argued though, that if all the speakers have similar bass extension and aren't in positions where the room affects their bass much differently that a global setting is adequate.

No well-designed receivers have an inherent "sound"; it's features such as tone controls and room EQ which change the sound.

All auto-setup systems adjust the level of all speakers and the sub so as to be uniform at the listening position. Room EQ is separate from calibration for levels and there the Pioneer is unacceptable in my view because of its lack of provisions for the sub. This more than outweighs for me the flexibility in other areas with MCACC which allows the user to screw up the sound. I would choose an Onkyo or Denon(Marantz is simply an overpriced Denon)receiver with the highest grade of Audyssey which the budget would allow.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#390509 - 03/02/13 02:31 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: JohnK]
Mad_Chesser Offline
veteran

Thanks for all the great info john. Though I disagree with a few things.

I do believe it can be a good thing to have the "ability" to "screw" up the sound through mcacc. Making mistakes and trying new things is the only true way to get very good at something. Sound is very subjective and there is no true "right" way settings need to be inputed.

From experience with many amps I can confidently say there is definitely a difference between amps without eq, running in direct mode. Most notably, the difference between class a/b amps vs class d. I'm confident my ear can tell the difference blindfolded.

On that note, though both are the same company, and the similarities are many, marantz and denon share SOME different qualities, besides price.

I definitely appreciate your advice and with it, im now leaning towards a marantz. Audyssey seems very capable.

The floor is open tho...id love more opinions
Pioneer SC-61
Rotel RMB-1095
51" Samsung Plasma

#390510 - 03/02/13 03:42 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: Mad_Chesser]
jakewash Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Nick, as you are going to be using an external amp you really only need to concern yourself with the features each avr can offer for a given price point. Right now the best bang for the buck IMO is Onkyo. It appears to me that Denon has dropped its quality in all of their avr's except the flagship 4520 and you can get all of those features for much less in an Onkyo. I haven't had a chance to hear or look over any recent offerings from H/K, Yamaha nor Pioneer. I am intrigued by the latest from Anthem with the MRX series and Outlaw's AV975. I think the 975 would be a home run if they offered ARC or Audyssey on it.

My HT

#390511 - 03/02/13 04:09 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: jakewash]
Mad_Chesser Offline
veteran

Hey thanks for the reply. I've never considered Onkyo after many poor reviews I read. It seems hit or miss. I'll take your advice and look into one though.

Quote:
Nick, as you are going to be using an external amp you really only need to concern yourself with the features each avr can offer for a given price point.

While this is true, there may be a period where I don't have an external(I may be selling it to a friend). I do agree though, my main concern is features(and mainly, room correction and eq features and whatnot).

From what I've read on many forum boards and audio sites so far, excluding Pioneer's MCACC, I'd rather stay away from other manufacturer's "in house" calibration setups. Basically MCACC or Audyssey.

Since I'm mainly going for features, I'd like to hit a decent price range...which is hard because I need pre outs for my power amps. Something I'm realizing is on only the higher models usually.

BTW, I love outlaw amps smile
Pioneer SC-61
Rotel RMB-1095
51" Samsung Plasma

#390517 - 03/02/13 10:29 AM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: Mad_Chesser]
SirQuack Offline

Loc: Iowa
1) you want a receiver with independent settings, most receivers have this setting going back a few years, unless you buy a very cheap model. The auto setup MCACC, Audyssey, etc. will help set the desired setting, it is very simple. You can always adjust after the fact.

2) receivers don't "sound" different, unless your introducing changes to the EQ, Calibration settings, room setup. They are designed to be ruler flat from 20Hz to 20KHz from the factory.

3) if you go with a Pioneer, you can experiment with subwoofer placement, and adjust the dB levels manually with SPL meter from Radio Shack or similar. The Sub Crawl can help you dial in the proper location.

ps: I also love Outlaw smile

Edited by PorterPlex (03/02/13 10:30 AM)

#390526 - 03/02/13 05:26 PM Re: A/V receiver specs question? [Re: Mad_Chesser]
cohesion Offline
local

Loc: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Honestly the 'room correction' systems may not be as important as you think. Have you got a sound system in your room already? How is the sound?

No system can truly correct for poor room acoustics. The best they can do is mask some of the worst symptoms using equalization. A better approach would be to fix the underlying issues using acoustic treatments. These need not be excessively expensive.

If you go with this approach you can save money by getting a good used receiver or preprocessor that lacks these features but can still produce excellent sound.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.