Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Breaking in speakers -- is it for real ?
#59768 09/10/04 01:58 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
In reply to:

I will allow you to make that assertion. Will you now allow me to counter it? (BTW, I've only got 5¢, but you can keep the change. )

pmbuko, for a nickel, you can counter my assertion and raise me another assertion and a half!

Larry 5.1 M22/VP100/QS8/PB1-ISD
#59769 10/06/04 02:31 PM
S
hobbyist
hobbyist
S
i have read about reviewers breaking in speakers by reversing the wiring polarity of one of the speakers, face them against each other, pop in a CD on 'repeat' and go do something for a week or two...the reversed polarity is supposed to cancel out the sound from the speakers ...anyways, my thought is this would not be a case of breaking in the ears as they are not listening to the speakers during the break in period ...any comments??

#59770 10/06/04 04:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

i have read about reviewers breaking in speakers by reversing the wiring polarity of one of the speakers, face them against each other, pop in a CD on 'repeat' and go do something for a week or two...the reversed polarity is supposed to cancel out the sound from the speakers

Hmm.. that's kind of two wrongs making a right. Reversing the polarity on one speaker causes phase cancellation (and thus attenuation), but then facing the speakers at each other puts them in a push-pull arrangement (like an isobaric sub) so they're both moving in unison as one speaker. That's definately the oddest way of speaker break-in I've heard of.

So how do you know how long to break them in for? If it takes 168 hours (24x7) to break them in until they sound good, does that mean after the next 168 hours they will be too loose and sloppy? And 168 hours from then they'll be so mellow they'd rather sit back with some ganja and listen to Bob Marley than reproduce any music themselves?

Break in happens in less than 10 seconds, and is really limited to getting all the parts moving for the first time after manufacture.

Bren R.

#59771 10/06/04 06:15 PM
old hand
old hand
This forum's shibboleth is that there is no such thing as speaker break-in, only listener break-in, so there must be a scientific explanation as to how listener break-in can occur without the presence of the listener.

#59772 10/06/04 06:53 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

so there must be a scientific explanation as to how listener break-in can occur without the presence of the listener.

Hope. Everyone wants to do the absolute best thing to squeeze that extra .01% out of their equipment - everyone buys the same stuff off the shelf, you want to believe your 3805/M60/QS8s are just SLIGHTLY better than the next guy's.

Somehow, anyhow... get those electrons in line, break in your speakers, Put a slab of the Rock of Gibraltar on top of your CD-P to scare off the pratas. Anything.

Bren R.

#59773 10/10/04 10:14 PM
local
local
I don't think you can break in the cone area, there's simply no electric current or any type of signal being flow through them, It's even more unbelievable to break in those paper cone speakers. However, the voicecoil might be able to "break in" for a very short period of time but I have yet to hear any difference in any speakers I've own in the last two decades. Not that I do not believe breaking in, just that speakers is not one of them.

#59774 10/13/04 06:46 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey there,

If it's a brain break in then anyone who came to visit would think your speakers sounded harsh. Wouldn't they?

If it's a physical break in period then everyone would hear it. Wouldn't they?

I deal in perceptions of customers. Customers have certain expectations. It doesn't really matter if I meet those expectations. What matters is that the customer perceives that I do.

I purchase a set of axioms. I have certain expectations. If I percieve that they meet my expectations out of the box or in 20 days it doesn't really matter.

IE Jack percieved an insult wether indended or not makes no difference.

Back to work for me. I expect totally obnoxius conventioneers. I'm totally convinced my perceptions will not prove my expectations incorrect.

Leaf

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020