Re: Today At Best Buy - Idiots Half Off
#83758 03/03/05 06:02 PM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
Well, thank you Riffman for taking the time to personally insult two people and bring penis size into the equation. What's next? Shall we arm wrestle? Go out back and try to knock each others' last 6 teeth out? Will you see me after school by the flagpole?

Back to the topic at hand - electronics box stores and computer stores seem to be two places where it is perfectly acceptable for an employer not to train an employee about product, other than to "push the Yamaha" or "Monster(tm)'s giving us 10% kickbacks." Register jockeys aren't even expected to learn anything in their time at the job, either.

I wouldn't buy a car from a car dealership where I asked "So, this MX-5... what's the engine displacement and can I see a torque curve?" 'uh, it's fast, it has Zoom-Zoom!' as he points at the window cling decal with just those words on it.

To compare, I walk into an actual electronics store and get the answers I need, and no one tries to "pull one over on me" on what they know and don't know. "Axiom? Never heard of them - who are they?" would have been the right answer. Being insulted by being lied to about someone's knowledge - that's unconscionable.

Bren R.

#83759 03/03/05 07:09 PM
R
local
local
R
Bren, yeah, you get back to the topic at hand: "people at Best Buy who are "idiots" because they don't know as much about audio as I do, for example, 5 dot 1 vs 7 point 1" and similarly, when I go there, I expect the guy to kiss my ass over a low dollar cable purchase and piss on Monster all despite the fact that it may cost him his job."

That's your problem if you feel insulted. I calls 'em like I see 'em. And you sound like a jerk to me. OF COURSE, you may not *be* one but you sure do *sound* like one. As far as I can tell from what you posted, you have no idea whether the guy had heard of Axiom's. And yeah regarding the "penis" hyperbole, I suggest you look deep inside at why you felt the need to trick a low level employee, come on a messageboard to brag about it, and call the guy an idiot.

Regarding your gun trickery, all he said was he bets it rocks. That's far from lying. But, I guess in your case, its okay to do the kind of thing you did over a possible purchase of some cheap cables from a kid who makes a pittance and is just doing what he's told to do. Fine. I'm here to say that attitude is crappy.

I'm positive you fashion yourself to be a clever guy, so I ask you, what did you expect? You didn't think that with Monster plastered all over the place as you say it was, they weren't going to push it? Do you think that with the products Best Buy sells that they actually *need* to have the knowledge that you speak of? Really? Do you ever think that a kid who works in the store and has to deal with know it all audio freaks might actually feel intimidated, hence, the tendecy to just go along with what you throw at him?

#83760 03/03/05 07:20 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I like it when Bren posts. Nobody else ever seems to find a way to use "pustule" in the correct context.

I don't feel obliged to idly suffer either bad service or a lack of integrity in sacrifice to perpetuating "market forces". If people treat me honestly, authentically and respectfully, I will reciprocate. If people treat me like a potential sale instead of a person, I'll go elsewhere.

Enjoyable read. Thanks, Bren.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#83761 03/03/05 07:34 PM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

similarly, when I go there, I expect the guy to kiss my ass over a low dollar cable purchase and piss on Monster all despite the fact that it may cost him his job."

Kiss my ass? Never expected that. All I asked for was for him to find me a product that they were sold out of in the one place I looked. Do they have more stock in the back or on a different display? Probably - a single pegboard hook would only hold maybe 3 or 4 packages, and from the time I spent in shipping and receiving - things are cased into dozens. As for a low-dollar cable purchase - they go to great lengths to tout how their sales staff are not commissioned. And I don't know where you got the "piss all over Monster" bit from - I didn't ask him to fall to his knees and denounce Monster and kiss my Belkin ring.

In reply to:

That's your problem if you feel insulted. I calls 'em like I see 'em. And you sound like a jerk to me.

While we're making assumptions, I'm assuming you used to be a register jockey at some point and are now the self-appointed patron saint of them?

In reply to:

And yeah regarding the "penis" hyperbole, I suggest you look deep inside at why you felt the need to trick a low level employee, come on a messageboard to brag about it, and call the guy an idiot.

He decided to talk above his head, I called his bluff. I mean, if you like dealing with people that can't keep up with you when you're trying to make a purchase, and that becomes a way you can get into a long, wheedley conversation about gear - so be it. For me, I'd rather have a guy admit that he's not familiar with the product and help me where he can. Take the 15' AR cable package, go to the back and see if he can find the same in 25'.

In reply to:

Do you think that with the products Best Buy sells that they actually *need* to have the knowledge that you speak of?

Then don't BS me. If you push speaker selection buttons and take product numbers to the back and compare them to boxes back there until you find the right product and have nothing but a basic knowledge of what you're selling - just do what you do. Don't try to cross that line into being my "guide into the wonderful world of home theatre"... that's like John Accountant trying to lead a Sherpa up a mountain.

In reply to:

Do you ever think that a kid who works in the store and has to deal with know it all audio freaks might actually feel intimidated, hence, the tendecy to just go along with what you throw at him?

He felt the need to ask, and to gain some "cred" in my eyes by talking out his caboose. I didn't walk in bragging about my "totally arse-rippin' kickin' sub, man, woooo-hoooo!" I asked for a cable. I didn't throw anything at him, he wrenched the ball out of my hands and beat himself over the head with it. That's not a beanball.

Bren R.

#83762 03/03/05 07:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
BrenR walks out of door at BB

BB employee to other BB employee

"Whoa that dude was harsh man"
other BB employee replies
"totally bogus man"
First BB employee
"Dude"
Second BB employee
"Dude"
First BB employee
"Dude"
Second BB employee
"Dude"
First BB employee
"Dude"
Second BB employee
"Dude"
BB employees exchange high five
etc, etc, etc.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
#83763 03/03/05 07:58 PM
local
local
I have never heard anyone say 7 dot 1 before. Always 7 point 1.

I have been to a couple "high end" stores here in Houston and they were pretty snooty. As if it is necessary to spend $10,000 to get a good set of speakers. I would rather buy a pair of speakers at Best Buy than deal with pushy or snooty salesman. I am so tired of the hard sell coming from every angle all day. People knocking on my door that want to sell some crap, people calling on the phone all the time, in the mail, spam, it is is never ending. Thats one reason I looked on the internet, no need to talk to pushy and/or ignorant salesman pushing overpriced crap. I knew those guys at CircuitCity were way overprice for what they were selling. The only way I would buy speakers there is if they were on a super clearance sale. I learned more about Home Theater here on these boards just by reading than most of the sales associates I have ever talked to. If I worked BestBuy I would learn all I could. Not that I am anything close to an expert, but I have a good general idea about receivers, speakers, DVD players, etc. thanks to this board and some of the sites that review equipment. Seems like if your job is to sell something you should at least have some idea of what it is and does.

M80ti's, VP150, QS8's
#83764 03/03/05 08:04 PM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I have been to a couple "high end" stores here in Houston and they were pretty snooty. (...) I am so tired of the hard sell coming from every angle all day. (...) Seems like if your job is to sell something you should at least have some idea of what it is and does.

Can I get a hallelujah?

Couldn't have said it any better.

Bren R.

#83765 03/03/05 08:44 PM
devotee
devotee
You think they are confused now, wait until they start having to push 10 "point" 2.

#83766 03/03/05 08:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jalapeno!

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#83767 03/03/05 08:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In thinking about this "dot" and "point" issue, here is something I came about -

When referencing metric sizing of automobile engines, I say " it has a 5point7 litre engine....", written 5.7
When referencing TCP/IP addresses, I say "10dot10dot15dot150" written 10.10.10.150
When referencing audio channels, I say "5dot1" written 5.1

Is it not interesting to hear our impressions of the typically young sales force? We - at least I do - expect them to think with greater knowledge, experience and maturity than their years. The simple fact is most of the teenage sales force acts their age. Asking/expecting them to be more professional and mature is not realistic, at least in my mind....twisted as it may be.

Also, it can be somewhat interesting how we view each others personallities!!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters